LegacyGT.com

Public Service - Problems with the 5th Generation Legacy Problem Areas

rao

• 2 months later...

Ouch. That list is scary.

I'm not a Subaru noob, but I am a Legacy GT noob just like pootie. I am considering buying a used GT wagon. It drove well, and I'm looking forward to getting it to stage 2 after a couple of months and doing the double din mod.

what should I look out for when buying the LGT?

You selling yours, rao? :)

All joking aside, the exploding turbo and it damaging your engine scares me a bit. The car I am looking at has 100k miles and I want it to run until 200k. If the history is unknown, should preventative maintenance be priced into the cost of the car? Like replacing the turbo, waterpump, timing belt etc? Thanks for helping me with my LGT noob question. Is there a section in the site that already has these answers covered?

• I Donated

All joking aside, the exploding turbo and it damaging your engine scares me a bit. The car I am looking at has 100k miles and I want it to run until 200k. If the history is unknown, should preventative maintenance be priced into the cost of the car? Like replacing the turbo, waterpump, timing belt etc? Thanks for helping me with my LGT noob question. Is there a section in the site that already has these answers covered?

Timing belt service is at 105k. The water pump should be replaced then too. The turbo isn't really a wear item per se.

The point of this thread is mostly sarcastic. I had major problems that necessitated an engine replacement 5 months after I bought the car, but most people don't have problems. YMMV.

For the right price it s yours.

I like your taste in cars, rao, E39's are nice, just wish there were AWD.

The fulton: Thanks for that! :) I'll make sure that if the status of the belt and pump are unknown that the cost to replace them are factored in. What is the typical cost to do both on an '05 LGT?

go to the vendors page or whatever. they will quote you a price pretty quickly. I know I saw a certified tech that does work on the weekends in RI will do a T-belt for 150!

It's under the regional forums for New England.

I cannot see (Jurni) your location, so sorry if you are west coast or 3rd coast.

• 4 weeks later...
Are these all problems area's or are some them due to abuse? The list is quite large as someone who is thinking about buying 4th Gen and who keeps their cars for a while. I sure don't want to even have to address half those items over the life of the car. The last thing I need is another high maintenance car. Maybe I should be looking else where for a different car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

I read through this thread while I was on a business trip this past week. It took me long time, but it gave me a good idea of what problems moist owners are having. Turbo oil starvation issue taking out the turbo while subquently takes out the motor is big $$$$/common problem , but it seems like it can be prevented. I will guess I will stick around a little longer...

I read through this thread while I was on a business trip this past week. It took me long time, but it gave me a good idea of what problems moist owners are having. Turbo oil starvation issue taking out the turbo while subquently takes out the motor is big $$$$/common problem , but it seems like it can be prevented. I will guess I will stick around a little longer...

Not a lot of female members around here...

It is still ugly.

Archived