LegacyGT.com

Public Service - Problems with the 5th Generation Legacy Problem Areas

rao

Since this question comes up all of the time, I thought I would try to provide a public service and list the known problem areas of the 05-09 Legacy GT.

A new problem came to my attention this morning and it has been added to the list (the 10+ cars have a large list of there own but I am not supposed to list those):

Paint

Tires

Brakes

Brake Lines

Brake booster

Transmission

Clutch

Throw out bearing

Flywheel

Lack of Front locking differential

Center differential

Rear differential (except for the Spec B :wub: )

Front Axles

Location of downpipe

Shifter mechanism

Turbo

Pistons

Oiling system

Oil pickup design

AVCS

Tumble valves

Resale value

Poor quality of interior materials

Rattles

Interior space

Radio

HVAC controls and performance

Shocks

Springs

Ride height

Rear roll bar

Front roll bar

Wheel bearings

Horns

Lights

Exhaust

Weak body structure

Valve adjustment

Service manual errors and engineering mistakes

Connecting rods

Seats

Swaybar mounting points on rear subframe

Wiper heating element

Wiper park sensor

Lack of factory HID

Sunroof close requires hitting button twice

No folding rear seat on '05-'06 sedan

Insufficient fuel filtering

Ironically, People also seem to hold the idea that the Legacy is faster than any Porsche and better than a Lamborghini, but that is how it goes on forums.

Don't forget the following:

Connecting rods

Seats

Swaybar mounting points on rear subframe

Wiper heating element

Wiper park sensor

Lack of factory HID

Sunroof close requires hitting button twice

No folding rear seat on '05-'06 sedan

Even if a car was faster than a Legacy, how would it do in the snow? :lol:

Short timing belt replacement interval
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

"Sunroof close requires hitting button twice"

That's a safety thing. It's so you can't close a part of your body in it. My 92Si civic did the same thing.

Remember safety first.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• I Donated

Don't forget:

Main/rod bearings

Head gaskets (yes, there have been a number of reports of problems recently)

Catted up-pipe on 05-06 GTs

Intercooler design (tabs separate from end tanks)

"Juddering" acceleration on stock boost/fuel maps

Easily triggered trunk release button on 05-08 keyless entry

Rear cupholder

Back element on heated seats

Man, these cars suck! :lol:

rao,

You've had me lol'ing for a long time now, but you're losing your touch

You just have to stand closer.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

These are problems with the 4th generation or 5th ?

If the 5th generation was an improvement on the 4th, why does it still have so many problems ?

I have a 4th generation Legacy, and it doesn't have any of the problems mentioned, do I have a freak car ?

Why do you mention that the Spec B has all of these problems, except for the rear differential ? Should I upgrade to a Spec B rear differential just in case mine fails ?

I updated the list.

Phil - you should definitely upgrade to the Spec B rear differential, it makes a HUGE difference in the way the car performs. You may not notice the other problems but they are there, perhaps you are not as in tune with your car as you should be?

I've owned a couple of Scoobies, but I'm a Scoobie newby as far as the LGT goes. I've been very keen on getting one recently because an LGT wagon would probably be the only performance car I could sell to my wife. HOWEVER, the lists above give me pause, as they say. It might be easier to list the bits that aren't problematic: the window glass, say, or the carpets seem to be quite reliable. At least they aren't in the lists.

I'm also astonished at how many LGTs seem to have had their engines replaced under warranty. :( What's that all about? I thought, or maybe just hoped, that Subaru had learned its lesson with the self-destructing head gaskets in the first-gen 2.5l engines. Is there a similar specific point of failure with the LGT engine that I should know about?

Any and all advice much appreciated.

• I Donated
It is hard to narrow it down to just one type of failure.

It is hard to narrow it down to any fewer than 20 types of failures. :lol: Yet, for some reason, our cars are mostly still working, and we are mostly still driving them. Except Rao, that is. He doesn't drive his car.

He cares more than we do.

Lack of massaging seats! Every damn time I drive the car, I think to myself, "What the hell was Subaru thinking? Why isn't my car massaging my back and kneading my ass cheeks?"
sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

• 2 weeks later...

Archived