LegacyGT.com

Cleaned the tail pipes a bit today...

You can get a ticket in CT for having a car that isn't stock?

Woah. Almost sounds like the Peoples Republic of Virginia!

Max Capacity, are you sure he didnt actually ticket you for something else? In most states, you can get a ticket for a modification that has to do with the actual performance or safety of a car.... But tips?! LOL. They sell those at Walmart.

Was your exhaust loud maybe? removal of mufflers or sound control devices is illegal in CT (and most states).

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't get a ticket for something that affects the performance of a vehicle, but you can get one for something that violates a law (like the exhaust volume law) or impacts safety in some obvious way (tinted headlights or tail lights or something).

An exhaust, so long as it retains emissions control devices in the factory locations and doesn't exceed the 95dB limit, is a tough ticket to write that almost definitely wouldn't stand up in a court of law (at least in MD).

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

VA IS THE WORST!!!!!

Got pulled over on monday morning at 6am during rush hour traffic on 95 for illegal tint.

I watched the state trooper switch over 3 lanes to pull me over. :mad:

Hmm... would those muffler deletes fit an N/A 2.5i? Just curious, if I can't BE fast at least I can SOUND fast! LOL!

2.5i and 2.5gt exhausts are the same (someone correct me if i'm wrong)... the only thing is you won't get a nice boxer rumble if you change out the mufflers because you have equal length headers... all NA's have EL's... turbo's got the UEL. (again someone correct me if i'm wrong).. also... isn't a wagon exhaust different/longer then a legacy exhaust?

and "ricer" is an overused term... TECHNICALLY we're all ricers here as we all have subaru's...

AAAANNNNDDDD

Funny "ricer" post on a BMW forum (this talk reminded me of it): http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1633863

False.

Ricer may refer to:

• Potato ricer, an implement used for food preparation
  • Rice burner, a pejorative describing Asian motorcycles and automobiles

And Where are subaru's from??? hmmmmmmm... NOT DETROIT!

TECHNICALLY WE ARE ALL RICERS... it's just a Technicality. ;)

so YOU (ricer), are False.

Further definition: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ricer

1. A person who modifies a low-powered and/or cheap car using after-market parts to make it look more powerful or sporty than it actually is.

Pretty sure our car's aren't in the "expensive" range either. It's an argument regardless.

2.5i and 2.5gt exhausts are the same (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

Well No they are not fully the 2.5i has smaller stock mufflers. But they share the same the Y pipe. All 96+ Legacy N/A's have a pretty much EL manifold.

Actually the LGT muffler is quiet a bit larger than the 2.5i which I found to be odd. Now that I run A LGT manifold on my 2.5i I wonder how that would sound. (I swapped to LGT mufflers a while ago and never ran the 2.5i cans)

The Cop said, "the reason I pulled you over was beacuse this car came with only one exhaust tip, you have two".

Yes it was a aftermarket muffler, that had two tips but was in the stock location.

The day I had the windows tinted, with in 3 hours had a ticket for that too.

Granted the car was yellow and stuck out in traffic. Shortly there after it became the car in my avatar.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

sorry about the wind and weird camera noise...it was trying to focus for some reason ;)

1st 2 revs are up to 6K I think, then 4K, then 2K

WOW. That's loud. How long have you had your ride? How bad is the highway drone? Sounds nice, and great rumble.

Its really not that loud when your driving at all (I think the 4 year old camera microphone was a little sensitive...but then again I've never been behind my car when someone is revving it)

I've had it almost a month. The exhaust is a deep, mellow tone when your accelerating and cruising speed you can barely hear it. I like the sound of it.

And only being in the Subaru world for that short of time, I see a lot of members going stage 2...what exactly is all needed to go stage 2? (sorry, probably a real noob question but everyones gotta start somewhere right?)

^^

When you get, you will know why...

I do agree, I don't think the car is that loud or noisy on the highway with no mufflers. When I went stage 2 with a catless DP then I had to put the stock mufflers back on.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

And only being in the Subaru world for that short of time, I see a lot of members going stage 2...what exactly is all needed to go stage 2? (sorry, probably a real noob question but everyones gotta start somewhere right?)

^ downpipe and a tune

^^

When you get, you will know why...

Downpipe and a Tune add that much hp/tq to your butt dyno?

Yes

My SpecB is at Cobb stage 1, my 05 Wagon is at stage 2 on a custom street tune with a catless up & dp, with a bigger TMIC, pulling 19.4psi in 3rd. That wagon gets from 70-110 really quick. The mpg is about the same on both.

Good deal, looks like I have my next 3 purchases figured out already!

1. Downpipe

2. Tune (or accessport v3)

3. Short Throw Shifter.

had a STS on on my mustang and although it doesn't add any 'performance' numbers...it was definitely the best modification I did to the car.

STS, which one are you planning to get ?

I have a OEM STS on the 05 and I'm not really impressed with it. I have spoken with Cobb, and I would go that way or a Kartboy next time.

Oh yea. One great improvement was the $70.00 sti tranny mount mount. That made the biggest difference. I did that back in Aug 04.

so now that we've just about completely gone off topic........

how restrictive ARE the stock mufflers?

when i had my bugeye WRX, going to an STi muffler made a fair bit of difference.

WRX stock muffler---17mm Hg = 100%

Sti stock muffler------9mmHg = 53%

Prodrive oval tip ----6.5mmHg = 38%

stock WRX midpipe----5mmHg = 29%

2.75"id x 30" pipe-----0mmHg=0%

Good deal, looks like I have my next 3 purchases figured out already!

1. Downpipe

2. Tune (or accessport v3)

3. Short Throw Shifter.

had a STS on on my mustang and although it doesn't add any 'performance' numbers...it was definitely the best modification I did to the car.

I would HIGHLY recommend you get a catless uppipe with that downpipe. You're already down there and you need to take the DP off to get to the UP, so may as well. Or you can always gut your own UP. Either way, do it. :)

Archived