LegacyGT.com

The COMPLETE beginner's guide to e-tuning (with a vendor and VAG-COM cable)

Adoniram

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got it all working ready to flash base map wat can I do to avoid crashing I saw somewher some1 said just restart and it will pick up wer it left off.. Can't remember where I saw just nervous about doing this but I pulled my stock ecu no probs

Test flash is one of the options on the toolbar, just click "test write" icon and let it run, if ok click the red icon to flash it, then turn ignition off, turn on, wait 10 seconds and start car up

dumb question i think..but couldn't find an answer through searching. will disconnecting the battery completely reset the ecu and lose tune i have? the new hex file will still be there right? but ecu learning will need to happen again?

dumb question i think..but couldn't find an answer through searching. will disconnecting the battery completely reset the ecu and lose tune i have? the new hex file will still be there right? but ecu learning will need to happen again?

Disconnecting the battery resets what the ECU has 'learned' in terms of optimal fuel management, and erases any possible stored CEL, but does NOT erase the installed map.

I have a question I've been stuck on forever and I can't find an answer... PLEASE HELP!! Lol

I bought a 05 gt for $9000 27,000 miles

I love it but there's one slight problem...it's an automatic I didn't care when I bought science the price was so good.. But now I want to do a intake, bov, exhaust, and Cobb but I don't know if I should or if its worth it..or how it will effect my car scince it's automatic.. I have a lot of questions but this my main one.. Somebody please help me.. My email is junjunslegacy@gmail.com

Downpipes are different parts harder to find not sure about the bov on an auto, but if u just want the turbo sound u gain alot from an intake..try that first it's proly the best mod for the money IMO..people claim that an aftermarket intake does no better performance with stock turbo but I will argue that any car that can breathe better and has better exhaust will run better than stock..buy an intake first watever exhaust parts and anything else u want and then a tune u will be fine on those parts till then..

Please explain

Well the clutch lets up right off the floor miss gears wen shifting fast..mayb just my driving u deffantly have to get used to it..no1 else have this problem?? I was under the impression all subarus are like that

Downpipes are different parts harder to find not sure about the bov on an auto, but if u just want the turbo sound u gain alot from an intake..try that first it's proly the best mod for the money IMO..people claim that an aftermarket intake does no better performance with stock turbo but I will argue that any car that can breathe better and has better exhaust will run better than stock..buy an intake first watever exhaust parts and anything else u want and then a tune u will be fine on those parts till then..
You can argue all you want, but until you prove it, you're wrong.

Dropping an intake into an otherwise stock car will really only accomplish a few things:

1) Throw off the MAF reading, thereby requiring a tune/rescale.

2) Make more noise

3) Empty out your wallet

Ok so give me a break on the english im typing on a phone so i looked around on the intakes and turns out people are really frowning on aftermarket intakes below stage 3 so I could be wrong..I have an spt which people are also bashing but of course Subaru will tell you it's the best you can get, also says it can be used on stock tune, and claims that combined with the heat shield and spt catback can increase 30hp.. Car is running lean so I'm here trying to get my car tuned btw i did NOT blow up my car boosting everywhere in the past year without a tune..alsi how would u justify paying 1000 for mods such as a fmic for what 5hp? So what are we all doing wasting money on what is a daily driver/grocery getter for the most of us?? I'm just trying to get my car tuned and dudes wanting some mods for his new car so sure go for it!

I have a question I've been stuck on forever and I can't find an answer... PLEASE HELP!! Lol

I bought a 05 gt for $9000 27,000 miles

I love it but there's one slight problem...it's an automatic I didn't care when I bought science the price was so good.. But now I want to do a intake, bov, exhaust, and Cobb but I don't know if I should or if its worth it..or how it will effect my car scince it's automatic.. I have a lot of questions but this my main one.. Somebody please help me.. My email is junjunslegacy@gmail.com

You named the 3 things that will do absolutely nothing for you, 2 of them more harmful to performance than helpful and 1 of them (I'm guessing you mean Catback exhaust when you say "exhaust") is just a noise maker at your power level... like he said do some research on here. For the amount of money you would waste on those 3 things you could get the right parts and increase power substantially.

Well the clutch lets up right off the floor miss gears wen shifting fast..mayb just my driving u deffantly have to get used to it..no1 else have this problem?? I was under the impression all subarus are like that

You obviously just don't know how to drive stick.

Ok so give me a break on the english im typing on a phone so i looked around on the intakes and turns out people are really frowning on aftermarket intakes below stage 3 so I could be wrong..I have an spt which people are also bashing but of course Subaru will tell you it's the best you can get, also says it can be used on stock tune, and claims that combined with the heat shield and spt catback can increase 30hp.. Car is running lean so I'm here trying to get my car tuned btw i did NOT blow up my car boosting everywhere in the past year without a tune..alsi how would u justify paying 1000 for mods such as a fmic for what 5hp? So what are we all doing wasting money on what is a daily driver/grocery getter for the most of us?? I'm just trying to get my car tuned and dudes wanting some mods for his new car so sure go for it!

FMICs don't give you more HP, they are a supporting mod for more HP. You obviously don't know what you're talking about so let's not turn this into a situation of the blind leading the blind.

So slap on your 20g and don't forget to support it with your AWSOMe new fmic without buying any intake exhaust or bov parts..these are all totaly uncool and doesnt support any major upgrades..no1 wants to hear any excess turbo sounds, and every1 hates the sound of a boxer engine, and bovs are only for those with 30psi..haha not! U gotta start somewhere so why not Intake exhaust like every1 else in the tuner world

BOVs are completely unnecessary and detrimental to going faster. On these cars, you should start with a downpipe and then get supporting mods. Intake isn't necessary until you're putting down over 300whp, but you seem to know everything. Boone, NC: the school district that intelligence forgot.

So slap on your 20g and don't forget to support it with your AWSOMe new fmic without buying any intake exhaust or bov parts..these are all totaly uncool and doesnt support any major upgrades..no1 wants to hear any excess turbo sounds, and every1 hates the sound of a boxer engine, and bovs are only for those with 30psi..haha not! U gotta start somewhere so why not Intake exhaust like every1 else in the tuner world

Because every professional tuner that works on these cars will tell you that the factory airbox flows more air than the car needs even at stage 2 levels. So starting with an intake at stage 0 means you spent $200 on a noise maker, and if you don't pay for a tune for that noise maker your MAF readings will be incorrect and your car will run like crap.

You keep saying exhaust, what exhaust parts are you talking about? Because the main restriction in these cars is not the Cat-Back this has been proven. So you go ahead and spend $500 or more on a cat back and still have 2 to 3 restrictive catalytic converters for the exhaust fumes to try and make it through before they even reach your shiny new noise maker. If by exhaust parts you mean Up Pipe for 05-07 and Downpipe on any 4th gen then you are correct when you say upgrade exhaust, but even still you can keep the stock mufflers and resonator in place without degrading performance.

Do you even know how a blow off valve works and how they affect our cars? You obviously do not. First when the stock valve opens it sends air that has been calculated by the ecu and sent through the turbo back into the turbo which means that the turbo doesn't have to suck as much air in between gears to get back up to full boost, and since the ecu thinks that air is there it injects fuel for that metered air into the cylinders, when you put a blow off valve on that air gets dumped into your engine bay. It might sound nice but the engine bay isn't your engine. Less air means less power to any tuner, thats the whole reason you wanted your new intake in the first place isn't it? Running rich means the proper air fuel ratio to make the most power is not happening, which means you are sacrificing performance in the name of a cool noise.

You have less than 50 posts and the 10 than I have seen have been you giving incorrect advice on subjects that might work on a little Honda engine, but not on a system as complex as our motors. Read more and learn from people that know what they are talking about and don't help people with bad advice that could damage their motor.

Ever wonder why everyone keeps saying the same thing, but you alone are saying something different?

I've stopped recommending VAGCOM cables to people unless they can somehow guarantee it will work with the newest ECUFlash versions.

I bought one about 6 years ago off Ebay and it works for everything, even the newest ECUFlash versions. I bought another one about 2 years ago, as a backup, and it looks exactly the same and was advertised as the same model and all, but it will NOT work with ECUFlash except version 1.29a. It logs and does LV just fine. The internals of the cable are obviously different now, so it's very hit or miss now.

For this reason I recommend people fork over the $150-170 for a cable from Tactrix, which can also log for you if you don't want to bring a laptop out.

Never claimed to know it all I am pretty new here myself. Not afraid to learn something new. Just saying most guys at even stg 2 have all the above.. Anyway I got my blue vagcom working flawlessly with window 7, hit a deer while doing some logging, and im finally back on my way to stg 2