LegacyGT.com

The COMPLETE beginner's guide to e-tuning (with a vendor and VAG-COM cable)

Adoniram

Anyone know where the link is for the VAG Cable?

05 5EAT

^ same question.. I went on Infamous website and could not find VAG cables for sale. Is this one OK for our car?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OBDII-KKL-409-1-USB-OBD2-Diagnostic-VAG-COM-Cable-For-VW-Audi-Seat-Skoda-/271046749139?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item3f1ba52bd3&vxp=mtr

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We discontinued carrying the cables long ago.

I guess I missed this ^.

We still offer tuning services for AP and open source. We just no longer sell any open source cables. VAG-COM is available on eBay and Tactrix sells their Openport 2.0.

and this ^. :mad:

Yeah. I am actually tempted to just buy a used tactrix cable 1.3.

Honestly thats a GREAT idea if you can find one used. They work SO much easier but they are more expensive. To each their own, some people would rather save a buck and figure it out where as some woild rather plug in and GO.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

I have an old vag-com cable that has no problems whatsoever. The new ones are troublesome. :(

Its wierd because its hit or miss, some work great and a few cause nothing but problems. Its hard to argue with the price, some would rather pay a premium where as others would rather spend the time messing with it at a third of the cost,

I think it comes down to the OS and the drivers.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

So some of the new ones work just like the old? Interesting. So buy 10 cables. At least one or two of them must work like the old ones with no problems, right? ;) At $6-7 a pop, it's still cheaper than one Tactrix cable. :)

BTW, I have both a new and old cable. Both works just fine with LV and RR, but only the old one works with ECUFlash 1.42.2595.

No VAG Com should work with any ECU Flash version newer than 1.29e. So, if you get a VAG Com to work with 1.42 you are doing really well.

My VAGCOM that I bought some time in 2008 for $9 shipped off Ebay works excellent with ECUFlash 1.42. I've flashed my car over 150 times by now. ;)

My new VAGCOM that I bought some time in 2011, also for $9 with the same ebay description doesn't work with it though.

P.S. I'm on Win7 64 bit.

• 4 weeks later...

Someone please help me. I am trying to get the working with the Amazon blue vag com cable and I keep getting this error when I try to manually install the driver

"The specified location does not contain information about your hardware"

If there anything I can do? I followed the instructions step by step. Tried it on a Win 7 and now the same error on win XP

• 2 months later...

I am having a similar problem on step 9, my computer says the specified drivers are not compatible with my device. I would try INvar's directions but where do I get ECUflash V1.42???? Romraider only talks about the tactrix cable not VAGCOM cable. Can someone post the ECUflash v1.42 download.

Thank you,

Scott

1.29e or earlier works with VAG-COM. You must fine a server still hosting the software for download. Tactrix killed the VAG-Com drivers in EcuFlash after 1.29e.

RomRaider only talks about Tactrix because Tactrix supports the community. They provide the software.

I followed the instructions perfect but get this error message after step 9.

The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver make sure it is designed to work with Windows x64 based systems.

Now what???

Oh by the way it step 9. when your drivers have not downloaded correctly.

where it has you redirected to correct it. It is where is says this.

"No Vehicle Interface," click here to manually change the drivers

Of course mine says No Vehicle Interface... When I follow those direction is when I have the error in step 9.

Any help

Thanks guys

The following instructions are for Windows 7 x64 machines:

4. Finishing going through the installation, accepting all defaults.

5. Plug in the Vag-Com cable

:)

Should this be done in the car or is it something that works just plugging the cable into the computer in the house. My guess it the former but it's so cold out I am looking to minimize the amount of time I have to spend outside by doing as much setup as I can inside.

I've searched everywhere and feel like an idiot since I don't see anyone else having asked the same question. I'm trying to use Micky D's 05-06LGT rev 7 stage 1 tune, which he has in an excel file. I see that I need to copy and paste the tables into the stock hex map that I downloaded from my car. No problem, just copy and paste them. But I can't figure out how...

After playing around with ecuflash and romraider for quite some time, I still can't figure out how the hell I do that. Can someone walk me through it?

EDIT: The problem was with Excel, it was in some safe internet mode and wasn't letting me copy. Problem solved!

Edited by EricRVA

• 3 weeks later...

Hey fellas,

So this looks really interesting. I'm wondering if there is a benefit to having the tactrix cable over just a VAG-COM cable. If it matters, I have a '05 Outback XT.

I really want to do this, but I worry about bricking the ECU. I understand that 16bit ecu's are not unbrickable, but 32bit are?

Reall all I'm asking, is just how dangerous is this!

Thanks.

If you're not good with computers and have difficulty following simple instructions, it is very dangerous. Otherwise it's no more risky than any other mod. If you really want a bulletproof method, look at Cobb tunes. They're not as good, but it's plug and play.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the very complete guide, couldn't have finished my turbo install without it.

EDIT: and +1 on the question of "bricking". If the worst were to happen ie loss of power during a flash what would happen?

Edited by lingling1337

• 1 month later...

If you loose power while flashing, you just need to be careful to not turn the car off and as long as you don't, you can then restart the process. The way EcuFlash/OpenPort works is to send a kernel in to your ECU. That bit of software oversees the reflashing process. If the process is interrupted (laptop goes to sleep, USB unplugs, etc) you can correct the problem and restart the process with no ill effects because the kernel is waiting patiently for new instructions and it will even pick up where it left off. However, if you turn off the car after a mid-flash problem, the kernel is now gone and your ECU is bricked.

As for the benefit of the OpenPort over a VAG-COM cable, for one you have fast logging functionality built in to the hardware which allows you to easily log on the go without a laptop connected. You also have the latest driver that we've written for increased stability over the older versions which used Windows software, which wasn't as stable. We wrote our own driver when we were seeing occasional Window's blue screens. Is the savings of a Chinese VAG-COM worth the increased risk of OS crashing? Is increased stability of value to you? If you know anything about Windows driver development, you know that it's very challenging work.

Why do we do we spend timing working on better drivers, new software features, new vehicle support, and OS issues? We spend time on OS issues (upcoming release has improved install for Windows Vista), new features, and new vehicle support (two addition ECUs in the works now), because supporting and creating a better product for the community is the focus of our company. Our daily work is funded by the sales of the OpenPort. We're currently hiring a support person (in SF if you know someone) and eventually we'd like to add a third full time developer.

You should consider purchasing an OpenPort because it's assembled in both Washington and California, not overseas, so sales supports physical labor in two US states and two companies. Your purchase supports EcuFlash development. You receive lifetime support with our hardware & software, even if you aren't the original owner. Pretty good no? You support the growing of a small business that works to make tools of value to this community. We think those facts make us pretty unique in this space and good reasons to consider purchasing our hardware to support US production and development of an affordable product.

• 2 weeks later...