LegacyGT.com

The COMPLETE beginner's guide to e-tuning (with a vendor and VAG-COM cable)

Adoniram

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here I thought you get tuned to avoid issues. Just wanted a reliable family hauler, didn't ask for aggressive powerhouse tune. I'm not blaming the tuner, just the tune. I'm not here bashing. Just stating an opinion. Im happy to see it got some peoples attention.

Hopefully others do have better luck than I did.

I like all the silly comments, they were amusing.

• Moderators
Here I thought you get tuned to avoid issues. Just wanted a reliable family hauler, didn't ask for aggressive powerhouse tune. I'm not blaming the tuner, just the tune. I'm not here bashing. Just stating an opinion. Im happy to see it got some peoples attention.

Hopefully others do have better luck than I did.

I like all the silly comments, they were amusing.

Who did your etune...Shamar?

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
SNAP!:eek::eek::eek:

Says the BarManBean.

:lol: Could be anyone. He gave a lot of good tunes and then things went downhill. I feel worse for the latest recipients of completed tunes than those who never got one and were forced to look elsewhere. The last stuff to come out seemed pretty bad...certainly not the type of thing to develop a realistic impression of etuning benefits!

But yeah :lol:

:lol: Could be anyone. He gave a lot of good tunes and then things went downhill. I feel worse for the latest recipients of completed tunes than those who never got one and were forced to look elsewhere. The last stuff to come out seemed pretty bad...certainly not the type of thing to develop a realistic impression of etuning benefits!

But yeah :lol:

My tune was completed on 9/30/10 by Shamar (not Infamous Performance and Tuning). Base + 3 revisions, stage 2, AVO TMIC, Invidia catted DP, catless UP, 3" SPT catback (with 3rd muffler welded in.)

About a year after that, I noticed several things about the tune after I bothered to educate myself, and with the help of fahr_side who has left our community:

1) Boost wasn't being hit in warmer weather. There was no positive WGDC IAT compensation dialed in.

2) IAM was under 1, due to knocking. Bear in mind, this was my SECOND tune from Infamous, after having gone through 6 previous revisions + base.

3) In several regions, timing had been removing from cells, but not smoothed out. This resulted in a -3 degree drop and then +3 degree increase for no reason in the middle of a WOT pull.

4) Boost targets were dialed in what I'd consider high, with 13.54# by 2400, and 18# by 2600.

5) Partial throttle WGDC and boost targets were nearly completely untouched.

6) Cold boost spike resulted in CEL. The boost cutoff/limit was raised but not proportionally for all atmospheric pressure ranges.

So there you have it. #5 I can sort of understand. It's very time consuming. And #4 may just be a matter of tuning preference/style. And #1... some tuners I know don't like dialing that in. It's safer to run with less boost when temperatures are higher, than try to drive the turbo harder.

But the rest of the things I listed...

Edited by iNVAR

So yeah, if you have an Shamar tune, I'd keep a close eye on things. I firmly believe if you have a car that has been modified/tuned, it's irresponsible to NOT monitor things periodically. You all owe it to yourselves to educate yourselves.

Please be aware that the tune iNVAR is referencing was performed by Shamar (who goes by Infamous1) on this forum. Not by my company Infamous Performance.

Issues like the ones iNVAR was having (and more) are a big part of the reason I parted ways with Shamar and began working with Bill Knose (Delicious Tuning).

Also be aware of the fact that like Shamar, tuners charging $150-$200 for an e-tune are (generally) self taught and have limited experience compared to big time Pro tuners. They might actually believe they are performing good tunes and just dont have the knowledge and experience to see otherwise. My eyes were opened MUCH WIDER to a whole new world of possibilies once I began working with a world class tuner (and spent the time and money to take some courses, EFI 101 and a training course with AEM, just so I could better understand the tuning side and know when I was being bs'd by the tuner).

Yes, sorry if there was any confusion. Edited my post to make it clear that it was Shamar specifically who did the tune. Sometimes, you really do get what you pay for and for the price, I guess it was just too good to be true.

Makes me wonder if the 5EAT I lost while testing the BNR16g was the turbos fault or the tuners. My LV's do show some hi rpm/load knock when running Shamars tune on the stock turbo.

Fire in the hole, I am already actively searching for a new turbo for the 5EAT and will be having Bill tune it. If it holds this time....

• Moderators
Please be aware that the tune iNVAR is referencing was performed by Shamar (who goes by Infamous1) on this forum. Not by my company Infamous Performance.

Issues like the ones iNVAR was having (and more) are a big part of the reason I parted ways with Shamar and began working with Bill Knose (Delicious Tuning).

Also be aware of the fact that like Shamar, tuners charging $150-$200 for an e-tune are (generally) self taught and have limited experience compared to big time Pro tuners. They might actually believe they are performing good tunes and just dont have the knowledge and experience to see otherwise. My eyes were opened MUCH WIDER to a whole new world of possibilies once I began working with a world class tuner (and spent the time and money to take some courses, EFI 101 and a training course with AEM, just so I could better understand the tuning side and know when I was being bs'd by the tuner).

:rolleyes: That's calling a lot of folks out, Mike. I whole-heartedly believe that there are few folks in the world that are full of as much shit as Shamar was / is. You stuck with him for way too long and gave him way too much credit as indicated by iNVAR raising his issues--I'm sure there are others.

The rest of the reputable e-tuners here on the forums are stand up folks--Cryo, Bren, and although I don't know much about them Tuning Alliance and McDowell Performance Tuning as well.

Shamar treated customers horribly. He managed things on his own schedule, clearly delivered a poor product, and still manages to take you down with him just because of the naming similarities.

I'm sure Bill is great and don't doubt his talent for a second even though I'll probably never experience it first hand, but with the pricing and not offering open source it's just simply a different product--not an inferior/superior product per se, but different.

/rant.

Edited by BarManBean

• Moderators
And no matter what I agree with iNVAR. If you have zero clue about what's going on when you mod / tune one of these cars you're probably going to get in trouble. You need to be knowledgeable enough to at least check things over. Some of the e-tuners here will be more than happy to coach customers on how to do that at a basic level, I'm sure.

• Moderators
This thread is why I'm just going to TPG and let Nate have at it.

Scary stuff.

Debatable. For a lot of folks, a great e-tune is significantly better than and "ok" dyno tune. If you live in the northeast that doesn't really apply, but anywhere else and e-tuning is a serious option as far as getting the best tune possible.

Debatable. For a lot of folks, a great e-tune is significantly better than and "ok" dyno tune. If you live in the northeast that doesn't really apply, but anywhere else and e-tuning is a serious option as far as getting the best tune possible.

True.. If you're nowhere near a roller tuner with thousands of hours of experience, an e-tune is about all you have for options.

I'm trying to figure out what you mean by "ok" dyno tune.

Are you saying you know who Nate is and what he does and you think his work sucks?

Edited by evil03mustang

• Moderators
True.. If you're nowhere near a roller tuner with thousands of hours of experience, an e-tune is about all you have for options.

I'm trying to figure out what you mean by "ok" dyno tune.

Are you saying you know who Nate is and what he does and you think his work sucks?

I'm saying that personally I have 3 different dyno tuners that are local--IAG, MachV, and Ptuning (i don't recall the actual tuner names) and all three have both positive and negative reviews. My e-tuner has zero negative reviews, so I'll stick with him until I have a really big-power car that needs on-site support.

I'm saying that personally I have 3 different dyno tuners that are local--IAG, MachV, and Ptuning (i don't recall the actual tuner names) and all three have both positive and negative reviews. My e-tuner has zero negative reviews, so I'll stick with him until I have a really big-power car that needs on-site support.

Gotcha. YMMV means much on the topic of tuning..

:rolleyes: That's calling a lot of folks out, Mike. I whole-heartedly believe that there are few folks in the world that are full of as much shit as Shamar was / is. You stuck with him for way too long and gave him way too much credit as indicated by iNVAR raising his issues--I'm sure there are others.

The rest of the reputable e-tuners here on the forums are stand up folks--Cryo, Bren, and although I don't know much about them Tuning Alliance and McDowell Performance Tuning as well.

Shamar treated customers horribly. He managed things on his own schedule, clearly delivered a poor product, and still manages to take you down with him just because of the naming similarities.

I'm sure Bill is great and don't doubt his talent for a second even though I'll probably never experience it first hand, but with the pricing and not offering open source it's just simply a different product--not an inferior/superior product per se, but different.

/rant.

I am not trying to put all the tuners in the same basket. At one time Shamar had an incredible reputation here. He basically walked on water. He was even the moderator of the tuning forum. I have not worked with Cryo, Bren or (now called) McDowell. I wish them all the best and hope that their reputations dont become tarnished like Shamars.

IIrc Bren does not tune OS either. It is my experience that the higher end tuners dont tune OS.

Bill is not the cheapest. But his work (product), resume and reputation speak for itself.

I remember those days. When I first became a vendor (TrueTune/Scoobytuning) I would get messages from forum members who were too afraid to say on the forum that they really weren't happy with their tune from Shamar and wanted a new tune. It was hard to build a reputation because of members' fear of being ridiculed. I think there is more a feeling of mutual respect between the larger group of tuners on here now. I think we all do our best to put the priorities of the custom over our own ego. I know Dave (Cryo) does a great job at this as well and we communicate on occasion with positive conversation. The feeling is different than before because there's competition, which business 101 teaches brings better service and customer support.

(311logan311)

Logan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

• Moderators
It's great too hear that some tuners actually care about the etunes they do give out.

Do you guys do customer contacts later down the road to check up on there tunes?

I doubt many of them will come to you (that's a REALLY tall order to ask for), but I'm about to do a quick check up with my own tuner (Cryo). Might be a small fee for it, but I have no issue compensating someone for their time.