LegacyGT.com

The COMPLETE beginner's guide to e-tuning (with a vendor and VAG-COM cable)

Adoniram

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the tune is complete, it is assumed by both parties it is set up right. (Compensation tables for temperature and elevation changes, ect).

I don't mind looking at a log if a customer senses something is off with the car. However, this can become a slippery slope of diagnosis of component issues, not related to the tune, but affecting how the car drives. If you develop a vacuum leak, for example, it has nothing to do with the tune, but it could cause a CEL if it's bad enough. The tuner, doing an etune, is not going to necessarily know the exact issue.

Data logs can reveal some issues, but at what point does the tuner then also become your mechanic? If it truly is an issue with the tune (too much wgdc and not enough negative compensation in cold weather for example) it's easy to adjust and make everything fine.

It's a fine line of trying to provide the best customer service, but not being taken advantage of for the time taken to "find out what's wrong with my tune" to discover the real issue had nothing to do with the tune.

Again, I really think the tuners on the site will bend over backwards to accommodate the customers' needs. We want you to be happy. Reputation is everything on forums like this. If you're not happy with my tune, I want to know. I want to see data logs so I can see if it's something with the tune.

Going back to the original point. We want to retain customers and really, there's nothing more satisfying than hearing about how happy someone is with their tune years later. Yes, we're being paid for a service. Bottom line, we'll do what we can to make the customer happy; just realize the tune isn't always what's to blame :-)

Logan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Edited by McDowell Performance Tuning

Sure it's a a lot to ask for, but it would separate the men from the boys.

No, it will separate those with nothing to do and too much time on their hands from those that are really busy (because they are that good). Time is money. If the tune was completed, there is nothing to check up opn. If there is a physical change to the car, or weather changes dramatically enough to require a re-visit to the tune (to verify) then the customer should be reaching out.

Bill e-tunes cars worldwide. He cant keep up with the weather changes in Brazil, Saudi, UK, etc. to reach out to past customers. Besides, to some, reaching out and asking "hows the tune working out" makes them feel that the tuner is "worried" about their tune and that there might be something wrong.

IIrc Bren does not tune OS either. It is my experience that the higher end tuners dont tune OS.

Correct, we only offer OS for dyno/road tuning. Etuning is strictly AP only.

It's great too hear that some tuners actually care about the etunes they do give out.

Do you guys do customer contacts later down the road to check up on there tunes?

Unfortunately on our end there just isn't enough time in the day to chase down each and every customer. We will never turn down a customer's datalogs if they feel there is an issue, or just want to make sure everything is still good.

I agree with your guy's, there is a business to run. I know I threw a blanket statement saying "etunes are junk" but I was to get feedback on what the tuners actually think on their etunes. From what I see there highly valued in your guy's business.

Im mainly just frustrated that after dropping in a short block, 2k goes by and I find I have a cracked ringland. I do accept responsibility for my own car, which is why not here bashing anyone. Nor would I go back to the tuner for further investigation of data logs or tuning.

I normally work with what ever tuning solution the customer decides fits their needs baring the software is capable of doing what needs to be done.

I use opensource,Cobb, aem, etc for Subaru tuning. These methods are all amazing when compared to what we used to have to tune with it the 90's and early 2000s

I know a LOT of professional tuners across the world that use opensource tools via ecuflash/romraider and other opensource methods on all different platforms.

Customer service is always at the top of the priorities list and so far it has provided good business and keeps customers happy and coming back.

I am always willing to answer current and future customers questions because that is part of that service. Always remember that we work for you members as forum vendors!

I would always like to dynotune/road tune the vehicle but for some that s not an option due to location or quality support in the area.

Like mentioned earlier, i think we all maintain a rather packed work schedule so reaching out for checkups other than a traditional day after "service satisfaction followup" is not really feasible. In this business you will normally hear from customers if issues arise as long as you kept good communication during the scheduling, service and post service follow up.

Normally a fee is to be expected for any tuning adjustments in the future as long as things were done properly in the beginning. Hardware changes will always require a fee.

To the original poster - I am sorry to hear about your bad experience with e tuning and who ever you had etune the car. its not a common situation and most that go with etunes from a respected tuner that has his head in the right place are normally pretty happy. Mechanical issues can always play into things as well.

Glad to hear you got your car running to expectation and can enjoy it.

Have a great day

Dave

Edited by cryo
put name in twice

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

Thank you Cryo for your words and professional response. You may be my next victim. (tuner) just kidding I wouldn't make you deal with me, lol!

But when you do an e tune what makes you say ok I can help you or say your car is not ready. All in all whether your on a dyno or just looking at scanner info your still looking at the same basic data, right?

I would imagine a tuner could point out an issue by the data they veiw, correct? If there is a vacuum leak you notice an increase in added fuel on fuel trims or vise versa. If you have a leaking injector you would see fuel be taken away by the computer.

I do realize there maybe some varations due to upgrades or aftermarket parts, but a tuner should have an idea of what to expect with the mods given, right?

Example: I just put in 1000cc injectors, but I have a stock tune and I have a vacuum leak. Fuel trims are showing +15%. Would you be concerned with that addition if I didn't mention the vacuum leak?

The whole idea to this is to see if the e tuners are looking at this kind of info. And basing there tunes to just work around it or just saying, hey there is an issue with your car that you might not know about.

Also have you ever heard wastegate flutter caused by a cracked ringland? I was so weird, cause the car was making great power and I thought everything was going so well and then I noticed the wastegate flutter and the lack in power and that was my first sign of the issue.

Sent from my MaxiSys MY908 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
Hello again, I'm working on my stage 3 tune now and my romraider logger stopped working. Ecuflash and learningview both work fine but rr shows unable to send ecu init-check cable... Only thing I can think of is some updates my computer went through recently which is how I got the vagcom magically working was after a windows update. I have used the crap out if it the past 6 months and did my stage 2 tune with it flawlessly, any ideas how to get it working again? Thanx

Hello again, I'm working on my stage 3 tune now and my romraider logger stopped working. Ecuflash and learningview both work fine but rr shows unable to send ecu init-check cable... Only thing I can think of is some updates my computer went through recently which is how I got the vagcom magically working was after a windows update. I have used the crap out if it the past 6 months and did my stage 2 tune with it flawlessly, any ideas how to get it working again? Thanx

uninstall the recent updates and try again

I HATE WINDOWS.

uninstall the recent updates and try again

I HATE WINDOWS.

Like a system restore point right? If I restore to a previous date and it doesn't fix the problem can I go back (or forward) to where I started? I hate to go screwing around with stuff an really mess something up, that's why I pretty much have this laptop dedicated to tuning my car.

Like a system restore point right? If I restore to a previous date and it doesn't fix the problem can I go back (or forward) to where I started? I hate to go screwing around with stuff an really mess something up, that's why I pretty much have this laptop dedicated to tuning my car.

I like reverting to a restore point in time that I know I had no issues.

Windows and its updates (and how they break proprietary software) have become the bane of my very existence.

Yea system restore isn't working. I wonder if something is wrong with the vagcom. Or what else it could be?? Why would rr just stop working and the other 2 programs fine?

It's really a miracle I got the vagcom working in the first place, I had tried everything and about the time I had gave up on it and bought a tactrix, it just suddenly started working after a windows update. So I sent the tactrix back trying to save money, now they're like $240

• 2 weeks later...

Thanx for the link, I don't know where I saw them going for that or why they would be more than msrp. I think the one I had in the past was used around 100 bucks, anyway I got my vagcom working again and hopefully be able to finish the tune.

• 1 month later...
Don't do e tunes! There junk. If your into rebuilding an engine every 2k then more power to you!

I apoligize for this quote and feel like a jackass for the statments I made. I am damn happy I didn't throw the tuners name out there.

The problem with my car happened again but did not take out a ringland this time, ended up one of the deatschwerks injectors had a weak spray that only had 2500k on it and it contributed to a list of symptoms.

Thank you

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Old versions of our EcuFlash software don't work with Android, but that's something we'll be working to add. Mac support will be added first though, sometime this year. Windows 8.1 works now with our current software.

-Mike

Tactrix

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

This thread was initially written with Windows XP and Windows 7 in mind, and obviously Windows has gone through a couple of versions in the intervening decade. Is a version of the necessary software available for Windows 10? Should I be looking for a package that includes a VAG-COM cable and software, or should I just pick up a random VAG-COM cable and get the software elsewhere?

Working on an '05 OBXT 5MT.

Thanks!

This thread was initially written with Windows XP and Windows 7 in mind, and obviously Windows has gone through a couple of versions in the intervening decade. Is a version of the necessary software available for Windows 10? Should I be looking for a package that includes a VAG-COM cable and software, or should I just pick up a random VAG-COM cable and get the software elsewhere?

Working on an '05 OBXT 5MT.

Thanks!

They mentioned a couple comments above it works with Windows 8.1. It should work fine on any version of Windows in the future then. Have yet to find Windows 7 software that doesn't run without issues on Windows 10 and later. You can run them in compatibility mode to be safe too.