LegacyGT.com

Anyone using the Exedy FJK1001FW Clutch/Flywheel Package?

TheBG

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
F'n A! I saw this thread a month ago when it was $313 on amazon and thought "should I buy it and store it till my clutch goes out?.... nah..." and now my clutch is going out and it's $630 on Amazon.

I have a spare I paid 500ish for. I'll do 500 + shipping. Pm me

• 4 weeks later...
I had this clutch put in 250 miles ago and have had a CEL for 4th (and occasionally 2nd) 4th cylinder misfires ever since. Could be a fluke, but I've heard that lightweight flywheels can cause phantom misfires. I've tried other things (plugs, coil packs, fuel injectors, intake manifold gaskets). Has anyone else experienced this?

• 2 weeks later...
I could be wrong, but I think we're wrongly equating single mass flywheel with lightweight flywheel. It would be great to see the specs of the FJK1001FW flywheel side by side with the OEM dual mass for 05, but if I'm not mistaken, this is the same clutch and flywheel combo that comes stock on later 4th gen LGTs with the same motor/tune. So it shouldn't be a problem, I don't think.

I am having the same trouble as well, I was looking to buy the Exedy FF502 Lightweight Racing Flywheel, which I assumed was a single mass flywheel. Not sure of the difference between lightweight and single mass.

All I meant was that just because a flywheel is single mass doesn't necessarily mean it's lightweight. I don't believe mine is a lightweight flywheel, whereas the one you're looking at clearly is.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, folks.

Lightweight is to single-mass as square is to rectangle. Generally speaking all lightweight flywheels are single mass, much like all squares are rectangles. However not all single mass flywheels are "lightweight" just like there are many rectangles that are not squares. :)

The WRX SMFW is something like ~25lbs versus 30lbs+ for the DMFW (IIRC). Most aftermarket lightweight flywheels are in the 10-15lb range.

well, I didn't notice anything for the 250 miles I got to drive it before the turbo blew...so I'm probably not the best resource for that since I tuned the car right after I replaced the turbo.

And I'm not kidding about the weight difference. It was actually somewhat difficult to lift out the old DMFW out of the car- its got to be on the order of 50-60lbs. The difference is staggering.

And thanks- I'm patiently awaiting the mods to increase the avatar size limit so I can use one of my snazzy gifs.

The WRX single mass flywheel is OEM on '07-'09 LGT, and will not cause misfires. You need a single mass flywheel (OEM or aftermarket) to run nearly all aftermarket clutches. Aside from that, either option is lighter than the dual mass flywheel which helps the engine rev more "freely". The aftermarket lightweight flywheels just happen to be far lighter than the Subaru single mass flywheel, and running a lightweight flywheel in conjunction with a lightweight crank pulley has been said to cause misfires. I have not personally witnessed this however.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but let me know what parts you are looking for and I will quote them uncle humjaba.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outback-Legacy-Baja-H4-2-5L-Turbo-Clutch-Flywheel-Pressure-Plate-Exedy-FJK1001FW-/130562177726?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ABaja%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A2.5L%7CSubmodel%3ATurbo&hash=item1e661cbabe&vxp=mtr

Bought that for 537 free shipping, it shipped monday, got it tuesday..... and its genuine, exedy box, exedy flywheel and everything, I checked exedys website for the how to spot a genuine exedy parts and its legit, packaging, instructions, an authentic Exedy OEM pro kit. Ive bought parts from am auto before. I just installed it and the clutch is light and strong, and my engine seems to love it, and so do I. I took a gamble with ebay, but I had bought parts from that guy before so I decided to gamble. Thought I should share the find.

• 2 weeks later...

3500 Miles on this kit now, with flywheel.

250 miles after installation, my oem turbo blew. So I am actually running it as a bastardized stage 3 with no fuel system upgrades on a BNR 18g turbo. That means its getting more top end power, but less mid range.

Seems to be holding up great, although I expect it to live a short and hard life overall as supporting mods are completed for my turbo. My wife can drive it fine with the lighter flywheel, and she's not exactly a pro with the clutch pedal.

I would say anyone on stage 1 or less should definitely consider this kit more than adequate, and the best bang for the buck.

Archived