LegacyGT.com

Anyone using the Exedy FJK1001FW Clutch/Flywheel Package?

TheBG

Another small update, at about 8000 miles and almost a year of use.

I'm getting a tiny bit of chatter from this clutch, enough to make me nervous. And I'm getting that gods-damned TOB squeal as well- just barely audible, but enough to be annoying.

So, I believe my recommendation mostly still stands. Stage 1 in flat terrain? Great kit (although I would go with a better TOB). Stage 2-3 in Seattle/San Francisco? Get something beefier.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am using the exedy racing clutch paired with a single mass flywheel (replacing the stick duel mass) on my 05 gt. There is a real difference, the engine revs quicker with the new flywheel and the feel of the clutch is outstanding. I think it's worth the extra money if you're thinking about going stage two

• 2 months later...
Is everyone getting chatter with this set up or some? Do the people with chatter have stiffened mounts by any chance? I plan doing a clutch job this weekend and have ordered the FJK1001FW with the lighten flywheel but thinking about now buying the wrx or 07+ legacy OEM SMFW. My car is a daily driver and I do no track. Any help would be great on deciding my flywheel of choice.

• Moderators
Is everyone getting chatter with this set up or some? Do the people with chatter have stiffened mounts by any chance? I plan doing a clutch job this weekend and have ordered the FJK1001FW with the lighten flywheel but thinking about now buying the wrx or 07+ legacy OEM SMFW. My car is a daily driver and I do no track. Any help would be great on deciding my flywheel of choice.

That's an OEM replacement. With a stock SMFW you should have zero chatter. PM Gee-Otto, pretty sure he just installed the same setup.

I think the tsk3 kit gets rid of the chatter, if you have any. Something to do with the throwout bearing, TOB.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/tranquil-sleeve-kit-snout-repair-kit-129749.html

That's not what a TSK3 does. That kit is for repairing transmission snout damage or as a preventative measure.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

That's an OEM replacement. With a stock SMFW you should have zero chatter. PM Gee-Otto, pretty sure he just installed the same setup.

That's not what a TSK3 does. That kit is for repairing transmission snout damage or as a preventative measure.

I bought the kit that included the SMFW but I found out the flywheel is an exedy that is lightened. Should I just install the exedy flywheel or source an oem wrx SMFW. This is a daily driver. I don't want any noise from the clutch when driving.

• Moderators
you mean it weighs 12.5 lbs or it is 12.5lbs lighter? If it's a WRX SMFW, then yes it's lighter than the stock DMFW, but it's not the same as having a true LWFW. If it's the WRX SMFW, install it and you'll be fine.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

you mean it weighs 12.5 lbs or it is 12.5lbs lighter? If it's a WRX SMFW, then yes it's lighter than the stock DMFW, but it's not the same as having a true LWFW. If it's the WRX SMFW, install it and you'll be fine.

the wrx SMFW is 25 pounds. the exedy flywheel included in the kit is 12.5 pounds. So should i source a wrx oem SMFW instead you think?

For a daily driver and someone with concerns about chatter / driveability--absolutely.

Again though, if you actually ordered a fjk1001fw kit it should have come with an OEM style flywheel it seems.

thats what i thought, but exedy doesn't make any oem style, its all lightened.

I disagree wholeheartedly. The amount of chatter from the FW included in the FJK1001FW is absolutely minimal, even on a stage 2+ LGT. Save your money.

Edit, clarification: I can only detect the chatter if I have music turned off, am paying very close attention, the clutch/tranny/engine is at full operating temp and its an uphill start. Driving for Lyft in Seattle, I encounter these conditions frequently.

I disagree wholeheartedly. The amount of chatter from the FW included in the FJK1001FW is absolutely minimal, even on a stage 2+ LGT. Save your money.

Edit, clarification: I can only detect the chatter if I have music turned off, am paying very close attention, the clutch/tranny/engine is at full operating temp and its an uphill start. Driving for Lyft in Seattle, I encounter these conditions frequently.

OK, I hope you're right, will be going with the provided flywheel in the kit

No chatter for me either

• 2 weeks later...

I have an '05 OBXT that started making noise ~1000 miles ago. Still shifts perfectly, and goes silent with the slightest pressure on the clutch pedal.

I got this Exedy kit with FW ordered this morning from FC Imports. $350 right now, free shipping, and I googled to find some random discount code that knocked off another 5%.

Got the TSK3 on order from Fred Beans.

I've seen references to getting new FW bolts from an '06 Subaru to go with this kit, but can't find them anymore. Should I do anything more complicated, or just get new bolts for the '05 XT?

I'll be doing the installation myself. Time to go set up my air compressor...

• 4 months later...
Please help! I just bought this kit without the fw, and read this thread about how my stock fw won't work. I found a good deal on a 06 wrx oem flywheel, just wanna make sure it will work. I'm planning on doing the install this coming weekend so I need to get it on order asap. Also if I do get the fw I can reuse the bolts? Car is a 05 lgt by the way

• 1 year later...
I did not read all the pages but I don't know if I have the stock DMFW but reading the reviews on Amazon says the TOB does not fit on the '05 LGT? How is the feel? I've never had any chatter on my GT but I have heard is slip when launching on a on-ramp between 2-3 I just dont want to have to go back in months later.

I've had this in my 06 for a few years now. The shop that installed it didn't say they had any problems. Overall, I would say the feel is fine after it broke in and it was a good value for the money. However, I do prefer the OEM one because I think it launches a tad smoother. Basically, it all depends on how much you want to spend.

Archived