LegacyGT.com

Anyone using the Exedy FJK1001FW Clutch/Flywheel Package?

TheBG

After 9000 miles.... (all dragstrip, track days, autocross, and driving to the events.) The clutch started slipping under load. I am sure it didn't help that I am on an E85 stock turbo tune (320/370) This is not the clutch for you if you are over stage 2 power levels.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
I just got mine in the mail, will be replacing it this weekend.

FYI, shipping was quite a bit faster than advertised on Amazon.

Would like to hear what you think of it. It's time to get a new clutch and this kit is about half the price of a similar kit+flywheel. Not sure if I want to skimp now that I hear the complaints about the LWFW.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty easy on a clutch and put very close to 118,000 miles on my original clutch.

Solid Autoworks installed the Exedy FJK1001FW kit for me yesterday and I have a couple early observations:

For what I thought was a more heavy duty clutch than the OEM unit, I am surprised by the light pedal effort. Granted, part of my perception of the light pedal effort is no doubt due to the fact that my throw-out bearing was toast. I needed the TSK3 sleeve repair T/O bearing.

Throttle response is noticeably quicker, which I would have expected.

I purchased the clutch kit from Auto Parts Sales in Denver for $518.83 including shipping; their phone number is 877-250-9672.

I'll follow up with another report after racking up some miles.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty easy on a clutch and put very close to 118,000 miles on my original clutch.

Solid Autoworks installed the Exedy FJK1001FW kit for me yesterday and I have a couple early observations:

For what I thought was a more heavy duty clutch than the OEM unit, I am surprised by the light pedal effort. Granted, part of my perception of the light pedal effort is no doubt due to the fact that my throw-out bearing was toast. I needed the TSK3 sleeve repair T/O bearing.

Throttle response is noticeably quicker, which I would have expected.

I purchased the clutch kit from Auto Parts Sales in Denver for $518.83 including shipping; their phone number is 877-250-9672.

I'll follow up with another report after racking up some miles.

Good to hear. Did the shop have any comments to make as far as quality of the kit? Esp. about the TOB?

Good to hear. Did the shop have any comments to make as far as quality of the kit? Esp. about the TOB?

The shop actually gave me several recommendations for a replacement clutch, including the Exedy model I selected. They did not comment on the TOB other than to say my old one chewed things up enough that they had to use the TSK3.

I had read a thread about driving too far on a failing TOB, which can do enough damage that the TSK3 may be your only option - short of a some new tranny parts. Well, too late for me, I drove too far and the damage was done.

Not the thread I referred to above, but this thread will get the TSK3 point across.

After driving the car cross country, its worse than ever. Deceleration in 3-4th gear is highly audible and clearly coming from the front of the car. I am considering biting the bullet and going further into debt to fix it.

It just unbearable, do not get the LWFW just go OEM and deal with the heavy cluthc pedal. I am soooo regretting doing the 07 wrx swap. I might even take out the group N bushings too, just unbearable really. Friggin hate it. My care is screwed right now.

The shop actually gave me several recommendations for a replacement clutch, including the Exedy model I selected. They did not comment on the TOB other than to say my old one chewed things up enough that they had to use the TSK3.

I had read a thread about driving too far on a failing TOB, which can do enough damage that the TSK3 may be your only option - short of a some new tranny parts. Well, too late for me, I drove too far and the damage was done.

Not the thread I referred to above, but this thread will get the TSK3 point across.

Can you direct me to the thread about driving too far on a failing TOB? I'm being told that's what's happening with my 05 LGT wagon. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Woohoo!

17 hours of work later (not including buying crap and cleanup), I got the Exedy FJK1001FW in Peggy (my Leggy).

Literally not a hitch in the install- just a LOT of steps and a LOT of parts. Anyway, that's for another thread.

So far I am very, VERY happy with this clutch. Pedal feel is much better, slightly lighter than stock. It is the little grabby right now in 1st, but I suspect that may soften as I get through the break-in period (75 miles on the clock since the replacement).

Woohoo!

17 hours of work later (not including buying crap and cleanup), I got the Exedy FJK1001FW in Peggy (my Leggy).

Literally not a hitch in the install- just a LOT of steps and a LOT of parts. Anyway, that's for another thread.

So far I am very, VERY happy with this clutch. Pedal feel is much better, slightly lighter than stock. It is the little grabby right now in 1st, but I suspect that may soften as I get through the break-in period (75 miles on the clock since the replacement).

Nice, almost went with that clutch but the price seemed almost too good to be true. Did you pick it up for $350 on Amazon?

I too was dubious based on the price. I paid $540 after shipping for the kit with a flywheel. After reading around on it, it seemed the reviews were acceptable. Plus I was really trying to do this job on the cheap.

Cool. Really wish I would have jumped on it just to see if it showed up as expected, because it was on Amazon for $350 and free Prime shipping, versus the $700 I paid for a clutch kit and flywheel.

Can you direct me to the thread about driving too far on a failing TOB? I'm being told that's what's happening with my 05 LGT wagon. Thanks.

Sorry, I just saw your post. I referenced one thread in my post. Here's another, but I haven't been able to find thread that is the best example why you shouldn't wait to replace your TOB.

• 3 weeks later...
After driving the car cross country, its worse than ever. Deceleration in 3-4th gear is highly audible and clearly coming from the front of the car. I am considering biting the bullet and going further into debt to fix it.

It just unbearable, do not get the LWFW just go OEM and deal with the heavy cluthc pedal. I am soooo regretting doing the 07 wrx swap. I might even take out the group N bushings too, just unbearable really. Friggin hate it. My care is screwed right now.

You can still use the FJK1001 kit but use an OEM 06-07 WRX flywheel, which is still single-mass and still cheaper than the OEM dual. If I were to do it again I would be going this route.. my car sounds like a box of marbles but runs great.

I am debating on the exedy for $314 or springing for CM 200 or 300 for twice as much. I am stage 2 and dont plan to add more power. 83k on the car and plan on keeping it for a while. Not sure if its worth it to go with the CM but in the long run it might be a good idea. $314 is nice tho. hmm...

I am debating on the exedy for $314 or springing for CM 200 or 300 for twice as much. I am stage 2 and dont plan to add more power. 83k on the car and plan on keeping it for a while. Not sure if its worth it to go with the CM but in the long run it might be a good idea. $314 is nice tho. hmm...

If you're doing labor yourself, I'd try it out...but keep your expectations low, this is NOT a performance clutch disc.

In a turn of events, I'm going to be really putting this clutch to the test...adding quite a bit of power over its lifespan, should be stg3 by this summer. I'll keep reporting back. I don't expect it to last long.

But for $300 shipped (overnight if you're on prime!) it is an unbelievably good deal for OEM.

Archived