LegacyGT.com

Do you warm your car up?

Do you warm your car up before driving?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Do you warm your car up before driving?

• Yes, I let it reach operating temperature
    • No, I get in it and drive it easy until it's warm

Let's just say we have one, which is kind of used for storage.. :p, and is a one car garage anyway and we have 4 cars in the family.

Even up here in Central Alaska, 70% or more of people keep their cars outside and not garaged. A car that has consistently been garaged is a premium here. My legacy has been garaged since 05.. not no more though :rolleyes:.

I guess you're thinking of Alaska at being too much different from other states. Besides the temperature we have the same middle class environment as anyone else :cool:.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ heck even when I had a house with a 2 car garage and only 2 cars in the family, I SELDOM used the garage. When I did, it was because the top was down on the Jeep and I didn't want to put it up, or because we had tornado warnings and I didn't want my neighbors tree on top of my car. Otherwise we both parked outside. Unless you have a LARGE 2 car garage, I find it a pain to park in.

I kept it clean and tidy as a workshop for my house projects, and used it to do maintenence on the cars.

Now I have a single carport :/

I hope to build a garage in the next couple of years, but again I would probably only use it for maintenence and as a workshop.

The car warms up about a min. Open garage door. Start car, plug in AP, back car out of garage, get out of car & shut garage door. Drive 60 miles to work. Don't go over 3500 rpm until the temp off "C" cold. Then hammer down & be to work in 60 to 65 min. Over 159k , original motor & turbo. Must be doing something right:rolleyes::lol::cool:.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

The car warms up about a min. Open garage door. Start car, plug in AP, back car out of garage, get out of car & shut garage door. Drive 60 miles to work. Don't go over 3500 rpm until the temp off "C" cold. Then hammer down & be to work in 60 to 65 min. Over 159k , original motor & turbo. Must be doing something right:rolleyes::lol::cool:.

Mike

LOL. love it especially the 'hammer down' part. I always get so impatient for that temp needle to go up each time I drive mine.

btw, as for me, I don't warm up my car: turn it on, wait maybe 10 secs, leave driveway, never ever go above 2.5-3000 rpm until engine gets warm. THEN HAMMER DOWN THAT BABY :lol:

Mines always in the garage, but I'll start it up and let it idle with the garage door open about a foot for a minute or 2, then take off and drive gently. I do it not so much to warm the fluids, but just to make sure they've circulated. Cold oil sometimes takes several seconds to get all the way to the top of the engine, so I like to make sure everything is thoroughly lubed up before I drive off.

Sitting and letting the car warm up to normal temp does more harm than good...engines are not meant to sit at idle for extended periods.

I always let my car warm up. Regardless of outside temperature. I'm more impatient now because I don't have my remote starter installed yet, but I let it run for 5 min or so then drive slow till the water temp creeps up a bit. Thinking about eventually installing an oil temp and oil pressure gauge to really get an idea about when it's "warmmed up". Would be nice if an OEM could have a hybrid gauge which took coolant and oil temps and displayed them on a single gauge.

Today it was 15°F when I left for work. It shifted like a stick in mud for the first few miles, then it was fine. I think the last oil change was a 10W-30 as well, so that doesn't help my cold starts.

Today it was 15°F when I left for work. It shifted like a stick in mud for the first few miles, then it was fine.

And idling it to warm up helps that problem how?

As mentioned, there are MANY parts that need to warm, and the only way to warm them all is to drive the car moderately until everything is up to operating temps.

turn the key, let the gauges sweep, start the engine, buckle up/pick music/get myself set, go. usually don't wait more than 30sec before i start driving. pretty gentle on it unless needed (and sometimes have needed) until it warms up.

yeah i have some rough shifts for the first minute or two of driving, but it gets things warmed up much faster.

i've heard negative things about letting your car sit and idle, but i wont list them here because its all hearsay and i havent researched it.

And idling it to warm up helps that problem how?

As mentioned, there are MANY parts that need to warm, and the only way to warm them all is to drive the car moderately until everything is up to operating temps.

It doesn't, because I didn't let it idle long enough. Moderate driving isn't an option for me, as I'm in traffic and on 93 within 3 minutes of leaving the house.

Soooo, starting it then immediately banging it against the rev limiter till it gets warmed up isn't the best idea? Might have to rethink my morning rituals.....

Actually I usually just get in and go, but I live 2 miles up a steep hill that I just ride the brakes/leave it in low gear to go down so I don't really use the gas till the engine is warmed up already through no choice of my own.

As a side note, does anyone's gearbox grind a bit when shifting from 1st to 2nd in the extreme cold before warm up. Maybe grind isn't the right word, but I can certainly feel a clicking type feeling through the shifter when it happens. I'm thinking it's just my shortshift kit and hard bushings. It goes away after the first few shifts.

I've been running food delivery the past few weeks in central NY and its been coldd. when i work it usually stays running for 4-8 hours at a time. id rather not let it cool off and warm up so much. but driving two miles to class is brutal. i gotta park across the street so i never get to warm it up. everything is stiff and the valves are loud and shifting sucks esp with a metal knob that gets as cold as it is outside.

Idle in the driveway long enough to get my iPod plugged in, seatbelt on, coffee in place, and generally situated before driving gently until full warmup.

Idle a little longer when it's cold out, or if it's been a few days since i last drove it.

When frozen, idle until I have finished scraping windows, however long that takes. There's a lot of damn glass on these wagons.

I have problems getting into reverse sometimes to back out of my driveway when it's real cold. Usually let the car roll a few inches then stop it and try again.

I get that problem alot, but it doesn't seem to be temperature related. Had the same problem with my Impreza 5spd.... I just assume it has to do with how the transmission works... but that's another thread.....

my car warms up when im caught on red light or traffic in the morning also as everyone said drive slow til its warmed up then let her loose

I set in traffic almost immediately so I drive slow until the first light, which is only 20-30 sec down the road..

Clearly not many Canadians in on this conversation. Up here, where winter temps regularly drop to -30C (-22F?) warming up your car is common practice. We are talking brutally cold mornings. My car knocks pretty bad under load and shifts like molasses if I just get in and drive, a few minutes warming up is just common sense.

Archived