LegacyGT.com

Do you warm your car up?

Do you warm your car up before driving?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Do you warm your car up before driving?

• Yes, I let it reach operating temperature
    • No, I get in it and drive it easy until it's warm

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep my car in a garage at night, so even when it's -10 outside, the car's in 40+ degrees. When it's cold, I always start the car, buckle up, check everything so when I start moving it's run for a minute or so, then take it easy till the cold light goes off.

This is the first car I've driven that has heated seats, my wife has had them for years. I likem.

Usually let it idle for 1 min then drive easy to operating temp. Sometimes if it's colder out I'll idle for 2-3min. I wait two or more minutes after the needle hits it's spot on the temp gauge prior to pushing any boost.
All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Actually that statement is incorrect. It's called Multi-Viscosity or Multi-grade oils. You should look into it. The oil flows more efficiently at operating temperature. Your engine will be adequately "lubericated" at any temperature. So do you stand by your method because you think its what you should do or is it because it is a scientifically proven method? And once again, motor oil isn't the only fluid in the car that needs warming.

EDIT: Oil has polar additives causing it to cling to engine parts after shut down. Cold oil lubricates better as it is more viscous and provides a thicker film between moving parts. On the other hand it doesn't flow as well (which is a very relative statement) as hot oil which on the same hand doesn't lubricate as well because it is thinner due to its lower viscosity.

That's some good info to know. I really don't know much about oil so I figured I'd see what other people do. As I said, I don't let my car sit and warm up. I hope in it and take it real easy until it's warm.

Actually that statement is incorrect. It's called Multi-Viscosity or Multi-grade oils. You should look into it. The oil flows more efficiently at operating temperature. Your engine will be adequately "lubericated" at any temperature. So do you stand by your method because you think its what you should do or is it because it is a scientifically proven method? And once again, motor oil isn't the only fluid in the car that needs warming.

EDIT: Oil has polar additives causing it to cling to engine parts after shut down. Cold oil lubricates better as it is more viscous and provides a thicker film between moving parts. On the other hand it doesn't flow as well (which is a very relative statement) as hot oil which on the same hand doesn't lubricate as well because it is thinner due to its lower viscosity.

So now I have to worry about what to do in the summer also :spin:

I keep my car in a garage at night, so even when it's -10 outside, the car's in 40+ degrees. When it's cold, I always start the car, buckle up, check everything so when I start moving it's run for a minute or so, then take it easy till the cold light goes off.

This is exactly what I do. I get in and write down my mileage for work and then start going, but keeping it under 3k until the temp gauge warms up.

x2 for heated seats!

What about a setup like with formula 1 cars where the oil and/or coolant is circulated through exterior heaters so it's at operating temp BEFORE the car is started? Now that is a good idea for the LGT. You could do it for all fluids. ATF, front diff, rear diff, windshield wiper fluid.

Oh and power steering fluid... AT guys could just combine the ATF and power steering fluid supply...

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I want to add one argument into the mix. This again, baring in mind most of you don't get as cold as I do. I routinely see -40F or colder in the wintertime and no, I never keep a car garaged but outside.

With 95% of cars I drove, even if the car would be ok to drive immediately from a mechanical standpoint, it's going to fog up in traffic. To me, that's a huge safety hazard against not letting the car warm up.

I had it so bad where I had to do an emergency stop or stick my head out the window and drive at -40F as I literally could not see anything due to the glass being fogged up.

I put mine in second gear and hold it there until I reach the main road from my house, about a mile. By the time I get to the main road the needle is coming off the C and I can feel some warm air starting to come out off the vents. It's about another mile to the highway and the car is pretty much up to operating temp by that time. If it's really cold (<10 degrees F) I give the car about 2 minutes before I leave my driveway.

My previous Legacy, a '98 GT, was a solid lifter engine and would make a wicked clattering noise until it was fully warm. My '06 make almost no noise unless it's been sitting for extended periods.

I want to add one argument into the mix. This again, baring in mind most of you don't get as cold as I do. I routinely see -40F or colder in the wintertime and no, I never keep a car garaged but outside.

With 95% of cars I drove, even if the car would be ok to drive immediately from a mechanical standpoint, it's going to fog up in traffic. To me, that's a huge safety hazard against not letting the car warm up.

I had it so bad where I had to do an emergency stop or stick my head out the window and drive at -40F as I literally could not see anything due to the glass being fogged up.

This is one of the major benefits of a garage. I never have this issue. I'm really surprised living in Alaska you don't have one. I would literally build one in my front yard if I had to go out into weather that cold.

I let the car warm up on negative days here in colorado. Because I get up early for pt in the mornings, its still dark and the windows need to be cleared for me to safely drive on base. I hate shifting through molasses, which goes away once the car has been idling on its own. I work just over a mile or so from where I live so the car really doesn't get to get up to operating temperature in that short of a distance if I just get in and go.

Also, if I just try to get in and go, the car fights me. Belts whine, the engine says "NO!" and shuts off. Sometimes it takes a good 4-5 tries and holding the gas pedal down to 15k-2k to get the engine oil to start circulating AND I have to leave the clutch out otherwise the car dies anyway. No I don't have the luxury of a garage. I'd have a bunch of snap on toolboxes if I did lol.

Archived