LegacyGT.com

Do you warm your car up?

Do you warm your car up before driving?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Do you warm your car up before driving?

• Yes, I let it reach operating temperature
    • No, I get in it and drive it easy until it's warm

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me it depends if it has been garaged or not for the night and the temp outside. Most mechanics I know state that it takes roughly 30 seconds for the oil to be fully circulated, although depending on weather, the oil may still be very cold/"thick". (someone please correct me if I am wrong)

Garaged Spring/Summer-30 seconds

Spring/Summer Outdoor-30 seconds to a minute

Garaged Fall/Winter-2 or 3 minutes and never exceed 2000RPM until operating temperature has been reached

Fall/Winter Outdoor-3 to 5 minutes and never exceed 2000RPM until operating temperature has been reached

If it's around 0 degrees, I'll wait 5 to 8 minutes and then drive it real easy.

I would refer everyone, especially LieutenantDan to http://www.bobistheoilguy.com. Pretty comprehensive on why you should warm them up and everything else you wanted to know about oil. Really explains the difference between oil weights and oil grades and how there is ZERO wear protection at REALLY cold temps. I live in northern Indiana where we commonly hit 10 degrees and lower in the winter so I've done a fair share of this research.

Garaged Fall/Winter-2 or 3 minutes and never exceed 2000RPM until operating temperature has been reached

Fall/Winter Outdoor-3 to 5 minutes and never exceed 2000RPM until operating temperature has been reached

If it's around 0 degrees, I'll wait 5 to 8 minutes and then drive it real easy.

I think you mean ~3000 rpm, at >2000rpm your likely lugging a cold engine. Maybe you always drive down hill?

All I need now is a hill holder and a center passing light...

Sumthin I noticed: Most ppl that're saying it's no big deal to warm it up, also says that they drive it easy until warmed up and that it warms up faster under load. If it's no big deal, why not start it and start beating on it right away? It'll warm up faster that way.

Sumthin I noticed: Most ppl that're saying it's no big deal to warm it up, also says that they drive it easy until warmed up and that it warms up faster under load. If it's no big deal, why not start it and start beating on it right away? It'll warm up faster that way.

Subaru seems to think its a good idea to let the car warm up first as it will not let me switch the SI-Drive into S# until the blue light goes out. Thats at about when my engine temp reaches about 120 degrees.

NOONE here is arguing against the possible downside of driving on a cold engine.

The question at point is "Do you warm your car up by idling?".

To that many people are saying they warm their car up by driving it slowly and keeping revs down, as there are MANY components that need warmed up, not just the engine oil.

To that many are arguing, it is less damaging to slowly drive your car to warm it, than let it idle under no load. That is the root of the argument IMO

I put 235k miles on my Accord before the head gasket went and I never bothered warming it up or taking it easy either. My wife's Santa fe had 170k+ miles when we sold it and she for sure did not let it worm up. With an internally stock engine I wouldn't be too worried about it unless maybe if you are in well below freezing temps.

Archived