LegacyGT.com

funny noise turned out terribly

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is the DW 300 a liability? What's the issue with this pump...asking because I'm considering it as an option for my build-out.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Do they (DW 300lph) ramp like the OEM stock and the 255lph Walbro, or require specific tuning beyond normal fueling parameters?

What is the most reliable and/or least-failure-prone AM pump?

From what I can tell most of the high (1000whp) Honda guy's use Walbro.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Do they (DW 300lph) ramp like the OEM stock and the 255lph Walbro, or require specific tuning beyond normal fueling parameters?

that's a fuction of the pump controller and not the pump itself. There shouldn't be special tuning required unless you were having fueling issues when it was tuned. Issues which you may not even know you were having. That goes for any fuel pump replacement.

the Walbro is the most reliable one out there. GSS432

I don't want to bash the DW300. It's a new product and there might be some bugs to work out. It might also be the way the pump sits in our housings that causes it to not work right. All I know is we install at least one walbro a week and rarely have issues. We've had more issues than not with the DW300

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

The Walbro is definitely the "go-to" pump. But it's not unheard of them going bad.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

That's not an absurd recommendation.

My Walbro lasted 4 years and some combined 60k miles before the car was destroyed by the guy I sold it to (his brother, actually).

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/walbro-255-died-morning-159734p4.html

not sure if this is any help, but the DW doesn't seem to like the stock duty ratios of 33/66/100 ... but yours sounds like it would be in the 100 range so I would imagine it would be OK... seems to more be an issue at low ratios

we resolved the issue, there were several problems going on, first one is that on the inside of our pump housing it has a secondary baffle/ emissions tank. we found that the 255 wouldnt flow enough for the power that the car will be making. we eliminated the baffle. then there is the duty ratios which we dont need any longer we need the pump to run a constant 12v. we found out the factory wires are not big enough to run a 12v constant. so we had to rewire it all with larger wires.we were finally able to make the car go rich. we did a mild tune on it to 365whp and i drove it for a few hours and now something has gone wrong with cylinder one. the motor is coming back out this week. also for those of you that are wondering the amr 550 is a great turbo but it has some serious lag to it i dont hit peak boost till about 4200 rpm. however on my interstate trip i was getting about 44mpg and this was headed into the mountains of nc.

we resolved the issue, there were several problems going on, first one is that on the inside of our pump housing it has a secondary baffle/ emissions tank. we found that the 255 wouldnt flow enough for the power that the car will be making. we eliminated the baffle. then there is the duty ratios which we dont need any longer we need the pump to run a constant 12v. we found out the factory wires are not big enough to run a 12v constant. so we had to rewire it all with larger wires.we were finally able to make the car go rich. we did a mild tune on it to 365whp and i drove it for a few hours and now something has gone wrong with cylinder one. the motor is coming back out this week. also for those of you that are wondering the amr 550 is a great turbo but it has some serious lag to it i dont hit peak boost till about 4200 rpm. however on my interstate trip i was getting about 44mpg and this was headed into the mountains of nc.

Your display told you that you were getting 44mpg because it runs off the IDC's of the stock injectors, which you don't have any more. You are best off just keeping that display on the temperature since the other displays are now meaningless. I haven't heard of anyone needing to run larger wire to the fuel pump. Has your shop done this sort of work before?

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

I've NEVER heard of anyone having to run beefier wiring to the fuel pump. That seems a bit out of the question.

I haven't heard of anyone running out of fuel with a walbro at 360whp let alone the factory wiring being too small. You've got alot of bad and wrong going on. Run away.

I agree with this.

Next thing they'll tell you is that you need 1/2" fuel lines.

I think I'd jump from that shop ASAP. Something isn't right.

Also sounds like they messed up your engine build

You are mistaken. That is opportunity knocking.... for them at least.

Your display told you that you were getting 44mpg because it runs off the IDC's of the stock injectors, which you don't have any more. You are best off just keeping that display on the temperature since the other displays are now meaningless. I haven't heard of anyone needing to run larger wire to the fuel pump. Has your shop done this sort of work before?

This. Unless you can recalibrate the display to your revised injectors, MPG will be way off. That's not to discount that you technically can get better mileage out of the revised/upgraded setup due to increased efficiency in open loop fueling, but would be interested to hear what your "actual" is versus displayed.

• 2 weeks later...
also the dyno that is being used on my car reads fairly low it reads a stock lgt at 165whp so ive almost trippled facorty horsepower, thats why we went with a dw 300lph. but yea the shop that is doing the work on my car is a great shop (42 Autosports) granted they have not built many legacys (but not many peopel in the state have) they do turn out some high quality work. for example they built the r35gtr that won the one lap of america and also used to hold the record for fastest stock turboed gtr on pump gas, aland they are now rebuilding it to be able to hold the record once more. they have built many time attack and autocross subarus of all sorts. We have done alot of modifications to my car as well that really havent been done before, such as the amr 550 turbo and bolting the Sti manifold to the lgt tgv deletes. also they did all of the porting in house. it is a great shop and im more than satisfied with everything that they have doen for me.

Archived