LegacyGT.com

funny noise turned out terribly

He also has some post in the Exhaust forum here. That's how I stumbled into him again.

Geoff has been around for a while, knows a lot of the players...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Massive update time! So I don't even know where to begin. Guess ill start with i meet a guy at school who loves some subarus (no this is not gonna change to a gay love story) this guy I can say really knows his s&@t. This poor guy has been through the ringer with shops just like i have and is past the point of saying im gonna do it my self. ive seen his work and it really is top notch. this is a blessing.

He is gonna do my head work that I need done. Now that being said is all of the good news that i have. So guess ill start with the motor I bought that was listed on here back in Charlotte on here actually one of the regular readers on this thread mentioned it. Well my buddy and I got to looking at it after he looked over my heads. I found that one of the piston walls has been chewed up near the deck edge and I'm worreied that on the install it may have scratched the piston.

Also the block has been painted which it didn't mention that in the f/s add. This wouldn't be a big deal, except for the fact that the motor was painted pink and then covered up with silver spray, but this thing was painted with all the oil gally plugs out. So I have paint all in these gallies. Also after we took a way closer look at it there are metal shavings all over this thing and most like inside it too.

There were some small thing i let slide like when he originally offers the full gasket set and at the last minute he changed his mind and just gave me the head gaskets. But yeah this short block looks to be a waste of $2100. Now that being said i have attempted to contact him with no luck I will keep trying for a few more days seeing as I just started to try today.

Ok now on to the old block since new block is crap. I have found out why it popped. It spun bearing on the crankshaft for cyl 4 rod. When it did it looks like my piston kissed my head but the head and piston look to be ok. Found inside the oils pump that there was grey rtv all inside it and there was a o ring that was installed inproperly and looks like it caused some problems.

Also I paid that old shop for my heads to be ported. The heads haven been touched besides the install of cams, springs and retainers. I paid for nice valves and got stock valves. So now I'm going to attempt to scramble together some money that I don't even have and try to put together a short block. If i can't get any money back from that short block that I bought I will atleast use the bearings, rods, and crank out of it. If I can my money back ill just buy new stuff.

But my new friend says if my old block is done he will straight trade me for a block that he has that is good. So here goes another build for me I guess. Mods please advise me on what to do about the short block I purchased I have texts front the seller saved and picture of the defects that I'm talking about ill try and lost them here in a few. I have NOT installed the block all i have done is bolt on a few timing pillows And that coolant crossover pipe to it.

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr353/jmorris6689/4C2392A5-F640-4231-BAF1-19B5696DD866-2251-0000007BA4027401.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr353/jmorris6689/62C3E971-B645-4BBD-89D3-3340143752B5-2251-0000007B9CA2FF3D.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr353/jmorris6689/5621589A-A662-4E09-911C-0544A133C535-2251-0000007B95E26C1D.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr353/jmorris6689/2F1B4138-C31A-49E7-901C-B0FB7C73655F-2251-0000007B8F12335F.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr353/jmorris6689/386D0CAB-67FF-4EF2-86B3-A79867F13DE3-2251-0000007B85546BDC.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm working on possibly going rotated with a precision 62/62 with a .63 ar on it. But I have a bunch of other new stuff going into the car this go round. I'm adding, new intercooler piping (no more ago Kevlar hoses). I'm porting the throttle body, tgv's, intake manifold, heads all to match. Also adding the areomotive a1000 fuel pressure reguator, fuel swirl pot, fuel rails, grimmspeed air oil separator, and a header, no more factory manifold. Mahle forged pistons, new high clearance bearings, STi crank, new block, Mahle h beam forged rods, and maybe a meth injection setup. Looks like I might have it back on the road by thanksgiving. So fingers crossed that all goes well.

Archived