LegacyGT.com

Valet mode for dealership work?

Well I need to go to the dreaded dealership for my mystery clunk in the front end. I've had it for quite awhile and have just been ignoring it, but it's starting to really annoy me; ignoring a clunk is also not the wisest thing to do. it's coming from the front driver side wheel well. It happens over small bumps usually, like in a parking lot or driving down the main road. It doesn't happen over very jarring broken pavement. It doesn't quite sound metallic, it almost sounds like a hollow, plastic thud of a sound. Anyway, I have an 80K warranty on the car, so it looks like I'm off to the stealership. If anyone has some clues as to what this noise may be, please chime in here as well.

I am a pretty paranoid person and I really don't trust many people right off the bat. I know of enough people who have had dealer techs beat their cars up during "test drives." I was thinking of putitng my vehicle into valet mode with my AP when I drop it off. This shouldn't cause any harm, right? I have a Infamous tune stored on my AP and installed on my vehicle right now. I have a full, catless exhaust on my car as well. I'm assuming because it's only for a short time, I shouldn't run into major problems by having the vehicle in valet mode?

Sounds like it might be a end link that is shot. I removed my OEM ones and went with some good aftermarket ones.

IMO the OEM are junk. Not to mention a PITA to replace. I cut them off and bolted on Perrin end links.

I'm sure the Stealership will tell you all the mods you've done that caused the problem and it's not covered.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So if you bring it in VALET mode what makes you think they would honor it under warranty ? Cause the moment you tell them you have a VALET mode it means you are into modifying your cars and possibly even abusing them while driving. Of course there are dealerships that are mod friendly or maybe you have hook-ups there but in general the moment you talk about VALET mode you also risk kissing good-bye to warranty. Regardless whether they have to prove it or not that your engine mods created your clunk; it is simply a fight that is best avoided than fought.

+1.

And just stop being a wimp and hand over the car for service. Any tech can't possibly bag on my car harder than I bag on it.

If you want to keep a record, just reset your gas mileage calculator and record your miles on the Odo. If the car comes back with 20 + more miles on it and a 9mpg reading on the dash board you would have a good reason to yell at the service manager.

But in the end, the techs I ride with (especially in my own car) want to push the car hard when diagnosing problems. They run the car hard afterward everytime after repairs to ensure their work wasn't faulty.

Don't be paranoid. The lot boy isn't going to blow up your car when he moves it from the parking lot in to the service bay. And the techs usually have more class than to be caught drifting a customer car down the street.

Well I have seen a fair number of technicians beat up on cars... badly. If I want to be a wimp about my property that I have worked hard for, I will. First off we have the member on here who had his car thrashed on by two techs. I have a handful of friends that have had comments made like "wow, your car does 80 in third gear," or "damn that car pushed you back into the seat." I've also got clever friends who re-set the MPG counter and had their plummet to single digits when the car came back. I guess it's just easiest to leave it with the tune on it an take it in like that. I guess that's what I'm going to do. I'll just reset the MPG counter and the odometer.

To those of you saying they wont cover my work, a dealer needs to be able to say the mod son the vehicle caused the damage done to it. With a vehicle that has no suspension work done, I find it hard for them to tell me a clunk in the front is from my exhaust.

Gire, I love your faith in humanity. Unfortunately I have none, zero, nothing, nada when it comes to faith in people with my vehicle. The only people I ever really trust are the guys at the dedicated performance shops I go to. Unfortunately something like a clunk in the front that may be covered under warranty means I am going to go to the dealership first.

Sounds like it might be a end link that is shot. I removed my OEM ones and went with some good aftermarket ones.

IMO the OEM are junk. Not to mention a PITA to replace. I cut them off and bolted on Perrin end links.

I thought that too, actually. Don't endlinks normally make a clunk when you turn the wheel, I thought that was a good indicator of a broken endlink? The vehicle doesn't clunk when the wheel is turned, only when going over certain style bumps, although it is quite frequent.

If I want to be a wimp about my property that I have worked hard for, I will.

You are such a stress case RJ but as long as you are willing to admit to being a little whiner about it its fine:p

The only people I ever really trust are the guys at the dedicated performance shops I go to. Unfortunately something like a clunk in the front that may be covered under warranty means I am going to go to the dealership first.

You have no faith in humanity: Why to go to the dealer when you already decided you won't be happy? Sounds like a self-created headache/stress to me. You already have a shop you trust. Go there.

Peace of mind is not worth a few $$? Just sounds like an endlink anyway FWIW.

It's your endlinks... since your car is stock, spend $69 and get the Rallitek HDs and don't worry about them beating your car or putting crappy stocker replacements back on...

http://www.rallitek.com/RalliTEK-HD-Front-Endlinks/p-4269

Broken endlinks will make hollow clunks on nearly EVERYTHING you hit and they'll drive you batty... Mine looked ok, but upon taking them off the ball and socket were trashed. The Ralliteks are stock configuration, just made more robust. Or the nut could simply be loose on an endlink, especially if someone try tightening them on jackstands vs on ramps..

The other thing that clunks, although not nearly as badly, are worn swaybar bushings... the two usually go hand in hand if your endlinks are bad... they're $24...

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-287/AVO-Stabilizer-Bar-Bushings/Detail

It's your endlinks... since your car is stock, spend $69 and get the Rallitek HDs and don't worry about them beating your car or putting crappy stocker replacements back on...

http://www.rallitek.com/RalliTEK-HD-Front-Endlinks/p-4269

Broken endlinks will make hollow clunks on nearly EVERYTHING you hit and they'll drive you batty... Mine looked ok, but upon taking them off the ball and socket were trashed. The Ralliteks are stock configuration, just made more robust. Or the nut could simply be loose on an endlink, especially if someone try tightening them on jackstands vs on ramps..

The other thing that clunks, although not nearly as badly, are worn swaybar bushings... the two usually go hand in hand if your endlinks are bad... they're $24...

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-287/AVO-Stabilizer-Bar-Bushings/Detail

Thanks for the informative advice. I guess I'll see what they have to say when it's in the air. I really wish I had a way of peering under there myself, but with all the snow and not having my own lift, it's pretty difficult. If I can manage to get a peek under there, would it be fairly obvious from looking at the endlink, or not so much? What should I be looking out for?

Endlinks are best checked up on ramps as they aren't under tension with the wheels on the ground. The first thing to check is if they appear broken, then check that the nut is tight (you'll need a wrench and an allen wrench). In my case I removed them to check them and realized the ball and socket were no longer good, something I couldn't have diagnosed on the car. If in doubt, replace them, $69 is worth not having a constant clunk, my wife was wondering if the car was safe to drive it clunked so much.

Many things on the LGT are great and robust, the stock endlinks are not one of them, mine broke on stock suspension.

As a tech.. personally i dont BEAT the shit out of cars. But on the same note, I do, and will continue to drive a customers vehicle hard. Usually driving harder will make subtle issues more apparent and more major issues a little easier to pinpoint. As a rule though, i always check the car out first on my lift to see whats going on. If its a simple problem i can see or shake w/ my hands no need for a road test before.

Most good techs drive vehicles hard. But there is a major difference between hard and abuse. Plus if the nuckle heads are stupid enough to crash your car, the dealership can easially replace their fuckup. As its pretty simple to win any lawsuit like that. The guy will get fired or made to pay for the damages.

On the same note i understand, its your baby, like most of us, you work hard for your vehicle and don't want it ruined. But you have to put a little faith in the technician. I'm willing to bet most Subaru techs are enthusiests of some sort, so there should be an extra air of respect towards your vehicle.

I'd shy away from the valet mode. I know for a fact that we here didnt warranty an ECM and DSG mechatronic unit for a GTI customer who had his car tuned. (Although we do warranty anything with an APR tune for some reason)

If you really feel iffy about it. Say you want to ride w/ the tech any time the vehicle is to be road tested. They should honor that.

Best of luck with the repair.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to try and look under it to see if I can get a look at the endlinks to see if I can visually find anything wrong with them. If that's the case, I'll just order some replacements and have my install done when I get back down to New York. Unfortunately I can't do the install myself. I have no jack, no lift and no tools here at school. Not to mention a pretty packed semester of classes (I'm graduating in May.)

Archived