LegacyGT.com

The H6 3.0R Thread Check in Here

Enjoy your Volvo, it sure is one ugly car. Thats something I have never said about anyone's car before.

Adios

Quite the dickhead comment after I had nothing but good things to say about this place, but thanks.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quite the dickhead comment after I had nothing but good things to say about this place, but thanks.

Lol, that's just one guy my friend, relax :-) But I hope you have a fat wallet when you're no longer under warranty and your mileage is high. As a previous owner of 2 German cars I can tell you they're not cheap to maintain. And from the minor things you mentioned about your previous Subaru it doesn't sound like you're much of a gear head so you'll be feeling the hurt later. So enjoy it as much as you can now until you see the light again. I will welcome you back here with open arms in a couple years. Goodbye my friend :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Lol, that's just one guy my friend, relax :-) But I hope you have a fat wallet when you're no longer under warranty and your mileage is high. As a previous owner of 2 German cars I can tell you they're not cheap to maintain. And from the minor things you mentioned about your previous Subaru it doesn't sound like you're much of a gear head so you'll be feeling the hurt later. So enjoy it as much as you can now until you see the light again. I will welcome you back here with open arms in a couple years. Goodbye my friend :-)

Good thing they're Swedish then, huh? ;) I live in an apt so my parking garage isn't exactly suitable for working on the car, but no I'm not a gear head outside of basic maintenance. The transmission of my Legacy did not seem to be in the best condition (very rough/awkward shifts) and I was just outside of power train. Like I said I loved the car, and for the first 45k miles it was great. It just started going downhill fast. Not to mention someone side swiped me in the garage and ran, so I easily had 2-3k of actual repairs/body work. I really don't like the 5th gen Legacy so I decided to change it up rather than sink more money into my car.

Good thing they're Swedish then, huh? ;) I live in an apt so my parking garage isn't exactly suitable for working on the car, but no I'm not a gear head outside of basic maintenance. The transmission of my Legacy did not seem to be in the best condition (very rough/awkward shifts) and I was just outside of power train. Like I said I loved the car, and for the first 45k miles it was great. It just started going downhill fast. Not to mention someone side swiped me in the garage and ran, so I easily had 2-3k of actual repairs/body work. I really don't like the 5th gen Legacy so I decided to change it up rather than sink more money into my car.

I'm pretty sure the maintenance cost is the same as an Audi or BMW

• 2 years later...

Anyone know the actual difference between the automatic 3.0R and the automatic 3.0R Spec B? From what I've read on the internet the differences are as follows:

-Bilstein shocks all round

-Alloy front swing arms (and some alloy rear suspension parts too)

-Higher final drive ratio (3.272 vs 3.083)

These all sound legitimate however every Legacy 3.0R that I have checked has Bilstein shocks and the alloy suspension parts (Including my 2005 3.0R Sedan and my 2004 3.0R station wagon). So either these points are wrong or almost every 3.0R Legacy has the spec B kit.

Any thoughts?

All the 3.0R's have bilsteins. I don't think they have the alloy arms. I know mine doesn't. The spec B's in the USA have that suspension kit though. I thought the 3.0R spec B was a 5 or 6 speed manual.

Anyone know the actual difference between the automatic 3.0R and the automatic 3.0R Spec B? From what I've read on the internet the differences are as follows:

-Bilstein shocks all round

-Alloy front swing arms (and some alloy rear suspension parts too)

-Higher final drive ratio (3.272 vs 3.083)

These all sound legitimate however every Legacy 3.0R that I have checked has Bilstein shocks and the alloy suspension parts (Including my 2005 3.0R Sedan and my 2004 3.0R station wagon). So either these points are wrong or almost every 3.0R Legacy has the spec B kit.

Any thoughts?

All the 3.0R's have bilsteins. I don't think they have the alloy arms. I know mine doesn't. The spec B's in the USA have that suspension kit though. I thought the 3.0R spec B was a 5 or 6 speed manual.

In the US, the only 3.0R's that have the Bilsteins are the 08-09 3.0R Limited. All 3.0R's were Limited in 2008, but in 2009 the 3.0R was also sold in base trim. The 2009 base trim did not have Bilsteins, or the 18" wheels. Unlike the rest of the world, we had no Spec B models for the 3.0R.

As far as what non-US 3.0R cars had Bilsteins, I'm not sure.

As a 3.0R specB owner, I can confirm the above. My LCA's are alloy, along with the rears, Bilsteins all around, and was had in both 5EAT and 6 speed manual.

Lucky non-Americans :) How they skipped the MT H6 in USDM of all markets always puzzled me. Too late now but when the Legacy was a bland bloated people mover, it would have been such a sought after trim.

Looking to possibly purchase 2008 3.0R with 50,000 miles for 14.5k. I may be barking up the wrong tree but I'm curious what everyone thinks. I can't seem to decide for myself, I'm either considering this or a newer slower car ^^.

Second follow up question as well, how's everyone's paint holding up?

Looking to possibly purchase 2008 3.0R with 50,000 miles for 14.5k. I may be barking up the wrong tree but I'm curious what everyone thinks. I can't seem to decide for myself, I'm either considering this or a newer slower car ^^.

Based on the mileage, I would be comfortable offering $11K-$12.5.

The 3.0 isn't as susceptible to the common issues found in a 2.5, but they do have certain issues from time to time. Nothing that you would typically need to worry about prior to 75K miles. The EZ30 is Subarus most reliable engine (personal opinion), and coupled with the 5EAT, it can be a lot of fun to drive. Honestly, with 50K miles, if the service history checks out, somebody could probably justify spending $14K+ for it. They are becoming harder to find, because owners usually know what they have, and they don't want to part with it, so I think that is probably a factor in the price of this particular vehicle. The market isn't saturated with low mileage 3.0 Legacies or Outbacks, so you generally have to pay a premium when you do find one.

I paid a little more than that for my 09 3.0R Limited with around 60K. That was almost three years ago. Your location will have a little factor on the price too. I also know a couple other people with 3.0Rs. One 08 and one 06 Outback. They are reliable. The idler pulley bearings can be an issue. My driver's front cv boot came loose. You do get a good amount of power with good reliability.

As for the paint on mine. I have the usual chips on the front of the car. Mine was hit in the back before I bought it so the rear bumper has been repainted. But all in all it looks good. Especially after a coat or two of wax.

I paid a little more than that for my 09 3.0R Limited with around 60K. That was almost three years ago. Your location will have a little factor on the price too. I also know a couple other people with 3.0Rs. One 08 and one 06 Outback. They are reliable. The idler pulley bearings can be an issue. My driver's front cv boot came loose. You do get a good amount of power with good reliability.

+1

This happened to me over the summer at around 105K

housemusic1 & 98legwag you both are awesome, I really appreciate the advice.

Yeah it's a 1 Owner car service history looks good and the car looks pretty pristine from the pictures. I'd have to check it out in person though, it's a 2 1/2 hour drive. I'm thinking of calling and trying to negotiate over the phone to 13k, I'd rather not drive all that way and have them(Dealer) be firm on the price.

housemusic1 & 98legwag you both are awesome, I really appreciate the advice.

Yeah it's a 1 Owner car service history looks good and the car looks pretty pristine from the pictures. I'd have to check it out in person though, it's a 2 1/2 hour drive. I'm thinking of calling and trying to negotiate over the phone to 13k, I'd rather not drive all that way and have them(Dealer) be firm on the price.

I own an '08 3.0R Limited sedan, and '09 3.0R Outback. I love these things! I'll never go back to the 2.5i, and I even sold an '08 LGT to get a 3.0R instead due to reliability.

For reference:

Paid $9,300 for '09 3.0R Outback in Feb 2016 with 103k miles in good mech shape, but rougher cosmetic shape. Private sale.

Paid $10,000 for '08 3.0R sedan in April 2014 with 90k miles. Good mech and cosmetic shape. Private sale.

I would think 12-13k would be a fair price for the vehicle you are after. I don't think you'd be getting a bad deal at $13k, but $14.5k seems high.

Original owner here.

Regarding the paint, its the usual thin Subaru paint. I was super anal about the car at first and detailed throughout the year. I have always washed by hand or used touchless carwashes and the paint still looks great to this day. I have also used Dr. ColorChip as expected with mixed results. I have about 103K on mine and finding one with around 50K is really low IMO. Its a great car for what it is.

The idler pulley issue is hit or miss. My Outback has 193K, and the pulley, belt, and bearing are all good. It really is amazing how well these things can hold up, as long as you take care of them, and not let a small issue fester into a bigger issue. @ 193K, she rides better than other Subarus with a lot less miles. In a couple years I'm going to be in the market for a car for my daughter (scary as hell), and I won't get her anything but a Subaru. Regardless of the issues that can creep up on these (turbo vehicles especially), they are relatively inexpensive to own, hold their value, and can run for a long time. Just an FYI, if this is your first H6 Subaru, don't be shocked when you get less MPG's than other Subarus. Especially if you drive in "sport" mode. Factor in the winter blends, that we get every year, and it can be a little insane. Also, these engines love premium gas. I thought the whole premium gas thing was a myth, then i switched to premium, just to see.....she got a lot better response, and overall just felt like a smoother driving experience. Any link to the vehicle in question?

They called back while I was at work today and I talked with the guy about the price... he wouldn't even entertain the offer and was in a hurry to get off the phone. :lol:It was already a moot point but I flat out asked if he was willing to work at all on it and he said, "its only priced a couple hundred dollars more already." (Implying more then retail is my guess)

He then wished me a Merry Christmas. :spin:

They called back while I was at work today and I talked with the guy about the price... he wouldn't even entertain the offer and was in a hurry to get off the phone. :lol:It was already a moot point but I flat out asked if he was willing to work at all on it and he said, "its only priced a couple hundred dollars more already." (Implying more then retail is my guess)

He then wished me a Merry Christmas. :spin:

Ah yes, I love these guys. I used to sell cars, and got to meet every stereotypical used car salesman that you see in movies. Dealers never lose $ on a deal. NEVER. The best was probably the "sure I'll do the deal, at that price! But it's only good for 24 hours" line. Can you send me a link?

Ah yes, I love these guys. I used to sell cars, and got to meet every stereotypical used car salesman that you see in movies. Dealers never lose $ on a deal. NEVER. The best was probably the "sure I'll do the deal, at that price! But it's only good for 24 hours" line. Can you send me a link?

The previously didn't have the price posted but do now.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/667881376/overview/

I was thinking the same thing, there's no way he's losing money on this. I was just surprised he was in such a hurry to "get rid of me."

Just checked the link. It's $15.9K. Was $14.5K your offer, or was $14.5K the asking price an Mr. Douchenozzle just jacked it up to $15.9K?

Yup. They didn't have a price listed when I first checked, so I called them up and he said they were selling it for 14.5k. I was surprised to find out today they had updated the price to 15.9k.

I'm curious why a low mileage 3.0 Legacy is on a VW lot. I guess it's possible that somebody traded it in for a VW, these cars usually don't end up on dealer lots, unless there's a ton of work to do. Based on the mileage, that's highly unlikely.

Archived