LegacyGT.com

The H6 3.0R Thread Check in Here

Lucky non-Americans :) How they skipped the MT H6 in USDM of all markets always puzzled me. Too late now but when the Legacy was a bland bloated people mover, it would have been such a sought after trim.

I'll tell ya, I'm very American. Just fortunate to be able to live outside the country for the past 20 years. So when I bought my Spec B, it ran me $18K at not quite 3 years old with 18k on the odometer (kilometers that is). Now 10 years old with 61K on her and she still puts a smile on my face.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm curious why a low mileage 3.0 Legacy is on a VW lot. I guess it's possible that somebody traded it in for a VW, these cars usually don't end up on dealer lots, unless there's a ton of work to do. Based on the mileage, that's highly unlikely.

I bought mine from a Ford and Nissan dealer with 62K on it. But with the way they treated me, I would never go back there.

Chiming in here to get some updated perspectives on how happy owners are with their 3.0R. I'm searching for an OBXT, but getting a 5-speed will be like winning the lotto. If I get a 5eat, it really makes me debate between a XT and a 3.0r. What are some advantages of the 3.0r?

Though I do love me some boxer rumble.

Currently I have a 2009 legacy 2.5i limited. The power doesn't bother me too much, but the 4eat is rough.

Chiming in here to get some updated perspectives on how happy owners are with their 3.0R. I'm searching for an OBXT, but getting a 5-speed will be like winning the lotto. If I get a 5eat, it really makes me debate between a XT and a 3.0r. What are some advantages of the 3.0r?

Though I do love me some boxer rumble.

Currently I have a 2009 legacy 2.5i limited. The power doesn't bother me too much, but the 4eat is rough.

The EZ30, and 5EAT are the best, and most reliable combo that Subaru ever did. If you have a 4EAT now, a 5EAT (in a 3.0R) will feel like a whole different experience. Turbo vs NA is really the big difference here. Standard maintenance is a given, and I don't recommend putting off any service work, but if you ignore small issues with an XT, they can turn into big problems, fast. An issue with a turbo isn't going to wait until the next paycheck,or the weekend. Its usually park it, and fix it before you drive it again. Now obviously there are different factors that go into that: mileage, driving style, preventative maintenance, etc. Not saying that a turbo vehicle is a bad option, just speaking from personal experience. The EZ30 is built to last, period. If you do your standard things that should be addressed @ 75K, 100K, or 150K miles, you can easily expect to get 200K+ miles out of the engine. That's not to say that they're exempt from issues....head gaskets have been known to go on the 3.0R, but they are pretty rare. On the 2.5, almost everybody I know, has done them, or are planning on doing them soon. Again, just speaking from personal experience, between rebuilding a motor, replacing a turbo, and head gasket issues, i'll take another 3.0R long before I consider a 2.5 liter. I've got 193K miles, and she's still going strong with no issues. Hope that helps. Just my .02 cents.

I've done some extensive research and haven't been able to come up with any recent answers on this question. Are there any bolt on axle back exhaust systems that currently fit these? Aside from just going to a custom exhaust shop and having someone weld something it, I've seen that one of Perrin's old LGT axle back setups converted to the 3.0r with some very slight modifications. Perrin has since discontinued that part to the best of my knowledge. All I want is to open up the sound just a bit, they sound beautiful with smaller cans in the back.

Turbo XS axle backs will bolt right on. I have a set on my car and I know of someone else with them on his 3.0R as well. We both had to get extended hangers thought. I got mine from KNS Brakes. Mine are the original prototypes for the GT front back in the day (or so I was told when I bought them) so mine do not have the burnt style tips. I also think mine might be wagon fitment.

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g378/98legwag/2009%20%20Legacy%20R/13095816_10205921787863540_7877460571881249758_n_zpsrwhaxwyn.jpg

I've done some extensive research and haven't been able to come up with any recent answers on this question. Are there any bolt on axle back exhaust systems that currently fit these? Aside from just going to a custom exhaust shop and having someone weld something it, I've seen that one of Perrin's old LGT axle back setups converted to the 3.0r with some very slight modifications. Perrin has since discontinued that part to the best of my knowledge. All I want is to open up the sound just a bit, they sound beautiful with smaller cans in the back.

I have the Outback, so my rear bumper is different. Wouldn't any axle back for a LGT fit the 3.0? You could get X Force or K2 mufflers, if you want to import them. Go to YouTube, and find some Legacy 3.0 exhaust clips. There's a bunch over there. Unfortunately, the best exhaust setups for the 3.0 Legacy are in Australia.

I have the Outback, so my rear bumper is different. Wouldn't any axle back for a LGT fit the 3.0? You could get X Force or K2 mufflers, if you want to import them. Go to YouTube, and find some Legacy 3.0 exhaust clips. There's a bunch over there. Unfortunately, the best exhaust setups for the 3.0 Legacy are in Australia.

Some axle backs that come as part of a cat back are made to fit that cat back. They may be slip joints or bolt together in a different place.

Turbo XS axle backs will bolt right on. I have a set on my car and I know of someone else with them on his 3.0R as well. We both had to get extended hangers thought. I got mine from KNS Brakes. Mine are the original prototypes for the GT front back in the day (or so I was told when I bought them) so mine do not have the burnt style tips. I also think mine might be wagon fitment.

This is good to know, How do you like the sound of the Turbo XS?

Yeah, I've been finding that most bolt up with just a bit of adjusting or none at all. The Perrin one used to sound amazing. It appears the TurboXS will be the closest to that. I also found some info on those running the Nameless axle-back's, but I feel those will be a little louder than the turboXS.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys I have an issue with my 2004 Legacy 3.0R. It intermittently wont start. The engine will turn over and over and over but it wont fire. Eventually after a while it will finally start but it seems to be getting worse. This morning after about 5 mins of trying I gave up and came back a few minutes later and it started 1st time. I've taken it to a mechanic and they have plugged it into a Subaru diagnostic tool and found no errors/faults. This has been going on for ages now and it's doing my head in.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!

The problem with the OBD scan is sensors are either working or not but not half way or not, to the ECU.

From the description sounds like you may have a clogged fuel filter, have you rant eh car low in gas ever or out completely? Even changed the fuel filter?

If not that when was the last time you had it tuned up? Ever mess with the wires/coil?

Video if rough start so we can listen to better assist you?

The problem with the OBD scan is sensors are either working or not but not half way or not, to the ECU.

From the description sounds like you may have a clogged fuel filter, have you rant eh car low in gas ever or out completely? Even changed the fuel filter?

If not that when was the last time you had it tuned up? Ever mess with the wires/coil?

Video if rough start so we can listen to better assist you?

Thank you for your quick reply :)

When it finally starts it runs smooth as. Although every now and then it will idle a little rough. Usually the 3.0Rs idle so smoothly you cant even tell if its running but occasionally it wobbles around and even makes the exhaust rattle. I've uploaded a video of it not starting to youtube which I'll link below. You can smell fuel coming out of the exhaust when it's not starting so I think it has fuel. I'm guessing it has something to do with the ignition. Also is there a chance that the immobiliser isn't completely turning off for some reason? I have tried locking and unlocking it again but it doesn't help.

I haven't changed the fuel filter and I haven't done anything to the wires/coils. I got it as an import from Japan and it only has 44,000km on it so I'm not sure what has/hasn't been done to it. I have run 3 batches of fuel system cleaner through it and I've given it some good hard driving for the last 3,000km to try to clear out any gunk/carbon build up from it living a slow life idling around in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjGMY0ubSaE

Thank you for your quick reply :)

When it finally starts it runs smooth as. Although every now and then it will idle a little rough. Usually the 3.0Rs idle so smoothly you cant even tell if its running but occasionally it wobbles around and even makes the exhaust rattle. I've uploaded a video of it not starting to youtube which I'll link below. You can smell fuel coming out of the exhaust when it's not starting so I think it has fuel. I'm guessing it has something to do with the ignition. Also is there a chance that the immobiliser isn't completely turning off for some reason? I have tried locking and unlocking it again but it doesn't help.

I haven't changed the fuel filter and I haven't done anything to the wires/coils. I got it as an import from Japan and it only has 44,000km on it so I'm not sure what has/hasn't been done to it. I have run 3 batches of fuel system cleaner through it and I've given it some good hard driving for the last 3,000km to try to clear out any gunk/carbon build up from it living a slow life idling around in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjGMY0ubSaE

I would check the plugs, wires, battery, battery cables, etc. The chances of it being a fuel filter are slim, but not entirely out of the question. I've got a buddy that's a mechanic for Subaru, and in 20 years on a the job, he's replaced 1 fuel filter in an H6. Based on the mileage, I would be surprised if it's a fuel filter.

Thanks for that video you have a ignition problem its turning over but there isnt any spark for the duration of that video.

So you need to check your crank sensor first, then any relays. I would say go after the coil on plugs but there is no spark at all. A rough idle once it starts is better at least it may throw a misfire code and you can swap coils to pinpoint the issue. You smell raw fuel b/c that much fuel is being passed through the engine that it starts to make its way out the exhaust.

Are there any CELs once its running?

Seem like there is a trigger component to the coils that isn't properly working the immobilizer could be the issue as well. When you reset it or whatever, what exactly did you do?

Ill look for a JDM pinout of the ignition not that is should be much different than the USDM to better help you. With this being a actual import there could be something up with the key/immobilizer switch.

Hi guys I have an issue with my 2004 Legacy 3.0R. It intermittently wont start. The engine will turn over and over and over but it wont fire. Eventually after a while it will finally start but it seems to be getting worse. This morning after about 5 mins of trying I gave up and came back a few minutes later and it started 1st time. I've taken it to a mechanic and they have plugged it into a Subaru diagnostic tool and found no errors/faults. This has been going on for ages now and it's doing my head in.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Is it a hard start?

Can you perform a video of it?

• 2 weeks later...

I've noted on my H6 that once in a blue-moon on a cold start there will be a very little amount of oily smoke- just a start up puff and then its gone.

Most of my built EJ's did this too. I wasn't aware that the H6 did it also. It it a common occurrence?

Of course my Cats have been deleted too as with most of my other EJ's --- I'm not sure if that would essentially "trap it" on a stock car.

Guys, I sold my 3.0R specB yestrday. A very sad day, and I sold it for a lot less than its worth because not to many people here want a car they can't import to the US, and it was RHD.

I believe the enw owner will be on this board asking for advice. So onward to the States, and an Outback for the wife and maybe another 3.0 for me. Maybe.

Guys, I sold my 3.0R specB yestrday. A very sad day, and I sold it for a lot less than its worth because not to many people here want a car they can't import to the US, and it was RHD.

I believe the enw owner will be on this board asking for advice. So onward to the States, and an Outback for the wife and maybe another 3.0 for me. Maybe.

That is tragic indeed but a new Outback isnt a bad replacement they are stylish for a wagon :) It will suck in the fun factor vs the 3.0Spec.B but there are others others out there.

Archived