LegacyGT.com

snow+donuts+low speed+high rpm= fun+stinky cabin..why??

Why cabin stinks after playing in deep snow with high rpm+low speed+possibly donuts  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Why cabin stinks after playing in deep snow with high rpm+low speed+possibly donuts

• Clutch slipping
    • Diffs getting hot
    • Clutch slipping + hot diffs
    • power steering pump

I vote for hot exhaust and snow packed around tires.... I've had this odd smell many times driving my LGT on the highway through slushy, snowy roads before they were plowed.

As for the "impossible to slip clutch in snow" argument, it depends on what you are doing. Many years back my dad had a Honda Civic 4WD Hatch that we used to take everywhere in the snow. I grew up in the country hills of WV where our ridges wouldn't get plowed for days... anyway we were driving through some heavy snow and drifts at slow speeds and burnt his clutch up, smoke went everywhere... this was of course because we were doing more pushing of snow than spinning... but the car did get enough traction to put enough strain on the clutch to blow it.... it was near the end of it's life also though.....

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^ post fail.

vr4, I'd put my money on the clutch being very very near the end of its life to start slipping like that. I don't doubt it's possible, I just think there's no way doing donuts in a parking lot is going to cook through a clutch. There's such a low, low chance of that happening, espeically with there not being any load on the driveline. Diffs or hot exhaust. Done.

my bad, if there's one thing I don't wan to be know as, it's a ass riding insuating cockblocker :mad::lol:

and yeah Kaz... it was def near the end of it's life... and I agree donuts are a whole different situation.... but my money is still on the stinky exhaust....especially if another person is involved.... lots of friction going in the exhaust can cause for some funky smells......

Funny that we now strongly believe stink comes from the diffs and perhaps exhaust and less likely from clutch; but then the poll shows the complete opposite. So anybody that'll check this thread in the future and will skip the reading will believe it comes from the clutch :confused:.

BTW, I was hoping to hear also from some serious/pro rally drivers and stuff. They should be used to this smell and should definitely know where it'd come from.

well i don't mean to brag, but I do consider myself a professional....

^sorry mate. did not know. So a pro says diff. Good!

raly/pro would have different diffs... and those cars make much different other smells as well. they'd never notice it

^oh that sucks. But pros may also do crazy donuts and stuff with their own stock subies (like if they're ever driving 'stock' ones :rolleyes:).

Is your car equiped with VDCS? (Vehicle Dynamic Control System)

If so, on snow it will work very hard to provide your car to drift in any way.

It does the job by using the ABS sensors, and brake every wheel that spins.

Playing in snow this can give smelly brakes, which smells not that different from slipping clutch material.

On snow you should turn of the VDCS.

Apart from getting rid of the smelly brakes, you can have a lot more fun on snow.

Bin there, done that. :)

Clucht-slip on snow makes no sense, this should apear in third or fourth gear on a dry surface under maximum engineload.

Diff's do not have a hard job on snow either, so I it is most unlikely the smell is coming from there.

@Seabass: In the way, the wheel that has (slightly) more traction also will spin on snow.

On dry it will have massive counterforce from the (outer-) wheel keeping traction.

On snow and ice the (grip-) counterforces are minimal, so the (LSD)diff does not have a 'heavy fight on it's teeth' and therefor does not get very hot too.

It may spinn like hell, but with very little counterforces.

^^ This is something to think about. Hmm...

I would be more open to this idea, but on my 2nd gen I don't have VDCS, and I still get a very distinct smell. When I go home, I'm going to do some donuts and see if I can't track down the smell. Maybe mine is coming from a different part than your guys...

Archived