LegacyGT.com

snow+donuts+low speed+high rpm= fun+stinky cabin..why??

Why cabin stinks after playing in deep snow with high rpm+low speed+possibly donuts  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Why cabin stinks after playing in deep snow with high rpm+low speed+possibly donuts

• Clutch slipping
    • Diffs getting hot
    • Clutch slipping + hot diffs
    • power steering pump

If you have a OEM clutch. I vote for that. The automatic guy...who cares. :)

The oem clutch will slip when backing up in a few inches of snow. So I'm guessing it is slipping a bit under all the load forces.

Hey make sure you do donuts in the snow after the brakes and wheels are hot then park the car while your at work...you'll love the ride on the way home...:)

The only guy who blow the diff was doing donuts on dry pavement. If I remember correctly, it was something about entering a race track after hours.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Mega Users
Please explain how an oem or any non burned out clutch will slip regardless of the power of the engine when the wheels are in spinning on snow/ice. If all of the torque is being transmitted to the tires slipping on a slippery surface, how is the clutch experiencing enough torque to slip when you can do a 3rd gear pull and not get any slip?

Please explain how an oem or any non burned out clutch will slip regardless of the power of the engine when the wheels are in spinning on snow/ice. If all of the torque is being transmitted to the tires slipping on a slippery surface, how is the clutch experiencing enough torque to slip when you can do a 3rd gear pull and not get any slip?

Have you ever driven in snow ? I can only tell you what I've noticed in more then one of my Legacy's. The OEM clutches suck.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Sooooo, I've been reading through all the posts and I have a feel that there are quite a few votes for either clutch slipping or diffs. Still crazy how that clutch would slip though. But I have to say I'm pretty sure that's the smell I got. And btw, it was not the powersteering cause I was going straight in my experiment. Not as fun as donuts of course..

k gonna create a poll here with the following options as for the reasons for the stink while playing in slippery stuff with high rpm:

1-clutch

2-diffs

3-both

4-power steering pump

Sounds fair?

Edit: Poll has been created. Please vote and provide explanation in your post if possible. And crap, I forgot to add 'stuff burning off on exhaust' option. Seems I can't modify the poll anymore :(

• Mega Users
I haven't driven a manual legacy or driven in snow. It may seem like I am saying it is impossible, but really I am asking how it is possible. I've driven on wet grass and mud in many manual cars and have never experienced any clutch slippage. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, it just doesn't make sense to me.

I haven't driven a manual legacy or driven in snow. It may seem like I am saying it is impossible, but really I am asking how it is possible. I've driven on wet grass and mud in many manual cars and have never experienced any clutch slippage. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, it just doesn't make sense to me.

^Actually, I am kina with you on that. I have a hard time believing the clutch would slip but I can't deny the stinking smell. And I do recognize clutch smell..

I am doing some searches in other forums right now and some people are mentioning clutch slippage. And that's on a jeep forum..

if it's deep snow with a pack and not asphalt beneath it, then yeah, the surface is always slick...if you have snow, asphalt, snow asphalt, it does transfer back up the drivetrain.

I'm still thinking hot diff oil from the diffs working soo much...either that or the power steering pump if you were holding it at lock.

My vote is crap on your exhaust for the burnt smell and smell coming from tires rubbing against all of the snow crammed between your wheel wells and the tires.

Ever done so many snow donuts that the wheels are jam-packed with snow and the wheel wells are packed solid also? I've actually pushed the inner wheel well liners apart from so much snow packed in there on one occasion. Then road salt combined with road goo and exhaust smell is awesome!

I also like the tire rubbing thought too. That's a good possibility. Seabass, these oem clutches are real weak, they will slip.

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the rear diff has it's own clutch packs, which smell like burning clutch when they get too hot

it's nearly impossible for the transmission clutch to be slipping in this situation... unless the driver's foot is on the clutch pedal too much

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

there's alot of hot going on during stupid human tricks

Roflmao. Soo true!!!

in my snownut experience, it has been the brakes that make the smell from snow getting in the wheels when sliding sideways pushing the calipers dragging the outside pad...

Ever done so many snownuts that you burned a tank of fuel torched the outside pads off your rear calipers, wore the sidewalls off your tires :).

Had a legacy turbo field car we used to bomb around the gravel roads and through the bush with ESP after big snow falls

Mike

Also had problems with a na forester we would do drift running with..

Ie find no maintenance roads after a big windy snow storm, hit 60-70 mph and try to plow through a 3-5 ft high drifts. Bring lots of people and shovels...

Not only would the car start to overheat because the rad is plugged solid with snow, belts would squeal, and so much snow would start to melt and freeze packing the clutch fork lever back and open making te clutch slip... Snow will find it's way into the bellhousing too.....

the most likely place for your clutch to slip is in 5th gear doing a highway pull if its not slippin there its not gonna slip as low speed.

smell could be the belly pan being pushed up agaisnt the exaust and melting when going through deep snow also ..

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the rear diff has it's own clutch packs, which smell like burning clutch when they get too hot

it's nearly impossible for the transmission clutch to be slipping in this situation... unless the driver's foot is on the clutch pedal too much

the rear diff doesnt snot have standard clutch packs. it has an enclosed viscous fluid system which is sealed from the rest of the diff itself. this is why we dont need friction modifiers in our rear vlsd.

it's not as viscous as it's name implies

"The V/C (viscous coupling) type LSD has outer plates and inner plates arranged alternately. Each outer plate is splined to the inside of the differential case at its outer periphery and each inner plate is splined to the outer circumference of the left side gear at its inner periphery.

The outer plates are held in position by spacer rings while the inner plates can slide in the axial direction along the spline teeth.

The space between the differential case and the left side gear is filled with a mixture of high viscosity silicone oil and air and hermetically sealed with X-rings."

-Subaru Shop Manual

aka, clutch packs. Those X-rings don't last forever.... especially if you heat that air and oil and it pushes past the seals

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Archived