LegacyGT.com

snow+donuts+low speed+high rpm= fun+stinky cabin..why??

Why cabin stinks after playing in deep snow with high rpm+low speed+possibly donuts  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Why cabin stinks after playing in deep snow with high rpm+low speed+possibly donuts

• Clutch slipping
    • Diffs getting hot
    • Clutch slipping + hot diffs
    • power steering pump

People who do 1/4 mile run, does your clutch stink afterwards? of course I am sure you have aftermarket ones. But still, does it stink in the cabin after?

btw, I found this thread on a jeep forum mentionning a very similar issue a guy was having with his patriot. Note that the first post on page 3 of that thread has a very interesting explanation about some kind of "electronically controlled coupling" attached to the rear diff. Read through it and see what you think. Interesting stuff. May explain (at least for their vehicle) why the guy got a clutch stink after playing in the snow.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this sounds like the most fun, possibly life threatening game that is in existence.

Also had problems with a na forester we would do drift running with..

Ie find no maintenance roads after a big windy snow storm, hit 60-70 mph and try to plow through a 3-5 ft high drifts. Bring lots of people and shovels...

Not only would the car start to overheat because the rad is plugged solid with snow, belts would squeal, and so much snow would start to melt and freeze packing the clutch fork lever back and open making te clutch slip... Snow will find it's way into the bellhousing too.....

^^ I'll stick with the drifting. I don't wanna do that to any car :( maybe a lifted jeep, or an old old beater that we could dukes of hazzard with, but not anything else. The risk sounds like it's worth the reward though hahah.

Well in THAT case...

OP, any new updates? Did you go do any snownuts lately?

Have not done any snownuts yet. Temperature up here was 5F last week then went up like 45F and lots of snow has melted. Now back to 28F and now it is pure ice everywhere (and I mean it). I have studded tires and I don't want to loose my studs yet.. But I will definitely try it again in an open field.

Anybody checked the Jeep forum link I gave in post #51? Any thoughts?

How about my question about the 1/4 mile people?

Interesting topic on that forum. Well...the TCS system that you newer legacy/outback folks have, I don't think is modulated by braking the wheel that's slipping to get optimal traction. Again, that's my guess, so a more knowledgable person please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. But either way, I don't have a TCS system on mine, and I still get a very distinct smell after the donuts. It smells like clutch, but I don't have one (lame, I know). But I'd bet that although our cars are different, we're both smelling the same kind of thing, and it's most likely the same root cause. I still like the exhaust-cooking-snow-and-other-debris idea, but I have a feeling that's not just the only factor at play here.

We have so far as many votes for 'clutch slipping only' and 'cluctch+diff slipping'. So that means lots of us still don't know for sure.. Another moderator on the 'subaruoutback' forum thinks diff: HERE.

Some other guy also over on Nasioc.

I am seriously now leaning to diffs. I think 98% diff and maybe 2% actual clutch (not even).

note: funny when you do a google search with the keywords of this thread's title, most of the results on the search page comes from subaru car forums. And that thread is the currently the first link provided :lol:.

Or continue doing the donuts until something breaks. That will let you know what is causing the smell.

Yep, what he said.

Some people never learn...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I still think it's either the diffs or the debris cooking on the hot exhaust. If your clutch is very very worn, you might be slipping it, but unless you're shifting or resting your left foot on the pedal, then it should not slip at all. Plus, the wheels are usually spinning like crazy trying to get traction while donuting, so it's not like there's alot of load on the driveline that could back up to the clutch.

Archived