LegacyGT.com

Tablet PC as Carputer?

MatsuDano

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^:lol: @ "Unicorn alert".

On another note, Timur never accepted me on his private Reddit forum :(. So I can't ask folks questions about the Nexus install with his rom... Annoying.

As for my issue with resuming music after deep sleep, I am currently using vlc. After deep sleep, it resumes and play the track for an additional 30s and then plays automatically the next track. At least, it does not crash or wait to rescan the whole 100GB of music.. All in all, better than poweramp but not perfect yet..

Edited by xt2005bonbon

On another note, Timur never accepted me on his private Reddit forum :(. So I can't ask folks questions about the Nexus install with his rom... Annoying.

That's strange. Did he give a reason why? Worst case, I created a throwaway account for access to his forum (no way I was giving away my actual reddit username :lol: ), and if you need it I can let you use it.

^:lol: @ "Unicorn alert".

As for my issue with resuming music after deep sleep, I am currently using vlc. After deep sleep, it resumes and play the track for an additional 30s and then plays automatically the next track. At least, it does not crash or wait to rescan the whole 100GB of music.. All in all, better than poweramp but not perfect yet..

Hmm, What do you mean exactly. Like i use the Sony walkman app and after going from deep sleep , all i have to do is hit play. Automatically indexes everything each time something new is added but never every time.

Try it out , heres the apk

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sony-mobile-communications/walkman-music/walkman-8-5-3-2-android-apk-download/

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

• 2 weeks later...
Also, I did get this item. It did mention in the description stk1160 but when I installed the driver on my xp machine, it showed stk1150.. And when I tried using it with my N7 2013, it did not work :(.

Got some victory today! Somehow, I got the UVC capture card to work just fine with the tablet using an app called 'easycap' ($4.4). I did some testing using an old camcorder to get a video signal. Worked perfectly as it should: when a video signal is detected, the app automatically starts and shows the video signal. When the signal is lost, the tablet resumes to whatever it was running. And it is pretty quick too. I just can't get this device to work with whatever app Timur included with the ROM.

So far, this is what I have plugged on my USB hub:

a 128 GB usb stick

a UVC capture card

a VAG COM cable so I can run the BtSsm app to monitor my ECU.

Now, onto buying a nice descent rear view camera and maybe a DAC. Then I should be done.

I have been getting a lot of progress on this project in the last week. Caved and bought that unicorn (thanks, battel :)) and got it installed in the dash, along with a Behringer DAC in the console, a USB card reader, remote power button, and cable to a Tactrix OP. I'm still working out all of the software setups.

I'm getting really fed up with Timur's ROM. I think I'm going to try switching to Autodroid, since it seems like it's more customizable (to my liking). The only thing I really care about in Timur's ROM is the OTG + charging, which the Kangaroo kernel does as well. I don't like that it's not possible (at least not easily? I haven't found a way) to delay the sleep sequence in FI mode. It also seems a bit unstable/buggy, etc. Also, the whole taking down the 2012 version entirely and making his 2013 ROM pay-only, especially at such a high price...) leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I think I have most of the software stuff worked out, though. I do need to buy some anti-glare screen protectors though, the tablet is near useless in the daytime. Also, it turns out I can't wear my sunglasses and see anything on the LCD, since the polarization orientation of my sunglasses is opposite the orientation of the LCD's polarizers :spin:

It turns out the GPS on my newest N7 (I broke the first one's USB interface, apparently...) is completely dead. Instead of buying another N7, I decided to just use my phone as a GPS receiver, and send the data to the N7 though Bluetooth. Using Tasker and AutoInput to set up my phone's WiFi hotspot and Bluetooth GPS settings (can't just use tasker with my phone since it's unrootable... running a Blackberry Priv here). I'm using GoneMad music player, though I'm still working out kinks in a consistent mount of my SD card. I've been using Stickmount, but it always gives me grief with a persistent mount, since it auto-unmounts it at power loss. I just today figured out how to correctly mount the thing manually through terminal (I hate Android OS... wish it were a more standard Linux distro), so I think that problem has been solved. Timur's ROM didn't auto-mount my SD card at all, I think it's just too large (64GB).

Edited by solidxsnake

I have been getting a lot of progress on this project in the last week. Caved and bought that unicorn (thanks, battel :)) and got it installed in the dash, along with a Behringer DAC in the console, a USB card reader, remote power button, and cable to a Tactrix OP. I'm still working out all of the software setups.

I'm getting really fed up with Timur's ROM. I think I'm going to try switching to Autodroid, since it seems like it's more customizable (to my liking). The only thing I really care about in Timur's ROM is the OTG + charging, which the Kangaroo kernel does as well. I don't like that it's not possible (at least not easily? I haven't found a way) to delay the sleep sequence in FI mode. It also seems a bit unstable/buggy, etc. Also, the whole taking down the 2012 version entirely and making his 2013 ROM pay-only, especially at such a high price...) leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I think I have most of the software stuff worked out, though. I do need to buy some anti-glare screen protectors though, the tablet is near useless in the daytime. Also, it turns out I can't wear my sunglasses and see anything on the LCD, since the polarization orientation of my sunglasses is opposite the orientation of the LCD's polarizers :spin:

It turns out the GPS on my newest N7 (I broke the first one's USB interface, apparently...) is completely dead. Instead of buying another N7, I decided to just use my phone as a GPS receiver, and send the data to the N7 though Bluetooth. Using Tasker and AutoInput to set up my phone's WiFi hotspot and Bluetooth GPS settings (can't just use tasker with my phone since it's unrootable... running a Blackberry Priv here). I'm using GoneMad music player, though I'm still working out kinks in a consistent mount of my SD card. I've been using Stickmount, but it always gives me grief with a persistent mount, since it auto-unmounts it at power loss. I just today figured out how to correctly mount the thing manually through terminal (I hate Android OS... wish it were a more standard Linux distro), so I think that problem has been solved. Timur's ROM didn't auto-mount my SD card at all, I think it's just too large (64GB).

Its wayyyyy too buggy. Sometimes tablet dosnt turn on when it gets power. Its frustrating.

My high mileage turd.

I don't have any issue with it recognizing my 128GB usb stick.

As you mentioned though, I also cannot figure out how to extend the delay for the deep sleep either.

Also have some random issues where all of the sudden,I loose connections to all usb devices. Have to go in deep sleep and wake the thing up and it may remount everything.

Also noticed the polarized screen issue.

And finally yeah, I would love android os to just be like linux..

After much struggle, I got Autodroid flashed on my N7 yesterday. Still working out some persistent mounting kinks, but otherwise I think it's about done! I like Autodroid much more than Timurs, KitKat has a nicer interface, and overall the UI is more polished. Mostly, I'm happy about having full control to customize the navigation bar to my liking (a SlimKat feature). Currently has media keys (prev, next and play/pause), as well as the back, home, and recents buttons. In addition, there is the option for long-press options for all of the buttons, which is nice.

Pics/vids to come when I get everything polished up.

does nexus make 2 different sizes? i took my bezel apart ( the one with a cubby) and the tablet is to wide to even squeeze between the vents …..

The USDM bezel has a much narrower opening than the JDM one. The vents are noticeably wider on the USDM vents, which makes the width of the space between the vents too small for a 2012 N7 to fit in there (I'm not sure about the 2013, but I imagine as well since I don't think it's significantly shorter). If you want to fit a N7 in between the USDM vents, you need to cut the vents. See my post above to see what's required to fit a N7 in the USDM cubby bezel.

Also, worth mentioning, the vent extensions are completely different between the USDM cubby bezel, the USDM nav bezel (the one that came stock in my spec.B), and the double-DIN JDM nav bezel. Naturally the JDM ones are narrower, hence they're different in that sense. The vent extensions for the USDM nav bezel are MUCH longer, almost double the length. Which means that currently in my car, the ducts running to the center console don't actually extend all the way to the vent openings in the bezel. They just blow towards it, and I imagine a good chunk of that air is getting lost through the dashboard. But it doesn't bother me that much. Perhaps later I'll build some ghetto duct extensions to extend the JDM vents to the ducts in my dashboard.

As you mention, if it is already hard to fit a 2012 n7 with the USDM nav bezel, then it'll be a bit worse to trying fitting an 2013 N7 as it is a bit wider. But I recall a guy posting a pic of his work. He did a pretty good job actually.

The USDM bezel has a much narrower opening than the JDM one. The vents are noticeably wider on the USDM vents, which makes the width of the space between the vents too small for a 2012 N7 to fit in there (I'm not sure about the 2013, but I imagine as well since I don't think it's significantly shorter). If you want to fit a N7 in between the USDM vents, you need to cut the vents. See my post above to see what's required to fit a N7 in the USDM cubby bezel.

Also, worth mentioning, the vent extensions are completely different between the USDM cubby bezel, the USDM nav bezel (the one that came stock in my spec.B), and the double-DIN JDM nav bezel. Naturally the JDM ones are narrower, hence they're different in that sense. The vent extensions for the USDM nav bezel are MUCH longer, almost double the length. Which means that currently in my car, the ducts running to the center console don't actually extend all the way to the vent openings in the bezel. They just blow towards it, and I imagine a good chunk of that air is getting lost through the dashboard. But it doesn't bother me that much. Perhaps later I'll build some ghetto duct extensions to extend the JDM vents to the ducts in my dashboard.

Really, my jdm dash kit came with vent extensions that fit fine with some lovin.

My high mileage turd.

Really, my jdm dash kit came with vent extensions that fit fine with some lovin.

My JDM extensions fit fine inside the dash no problem, but they're not nearly long enough to match the extensions that came out of my stock bezel. I think they're a fine match for the bezel that comes in the non-nav cars, though.

See picture here. In my hand is the USDM vent extension from the cubby bezel, on the bed is my stock nav bezel + extensions.

http://i.imgur.com/1cTdpDY.jpg

In other news, my initial method of mounting the tablet (double-stick super-strength 3M molding tape--the grey stuff with red backing--and copious amounts of hot glue) did not work. As soon as I turned the heating on yesterday, the top-half of the tablet detached from the bezel. I'm not sure what I thought would happen when I knew that the hot air from the ducts wouldn't be entirely directed past the tablet into the vents :lol: