LegacyGT.com

Tablet PC as Carputer?

MatsuDano

I think the major difference between these two is really in the width (i.e. from top to bottom) of the hole. This one is noticeably wider. I think with a nexus 7 2012 it may work; but with a 2013 the gap would clearly be noticeable. Me think anyway..

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the major difference between these two is really in the width (i.e. from top to bottom) of the hole. This one is noticeably wider. I think with a nexus 7 2012 it may work; but with a 2013 the gap would clearly be noticeable. Me think anyway..

I can attest to this. I have had both the smaller and larger bezels and the larger one is too large vertically.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Anyone over here using the Timur rom with a rear view camera? If yes, could you post which rear view camera you're using? That is with a nexus 7 2013.

I am making baby steps: so far was able to get the tablet to recognize USB sticks, play music, and charge at the same time. So far so good :). But I am slllooow :rolleyes:

Anyone over here using the Timur rom with a rear view camera? If yes, could you post which rear view camera you're using? That is with a nexus 7 2013.

I am making baby steps: so far was able to get the tablet to recognize USB sticks, play music, and charge at the same time. So far so good :). But I am slllooow :rolleyes:

I havnt personally , but on the reddit thing for timur there are quite a few. I believe all it is , is that the camera gets power and then the tablet switches over. This also means you'll have to run a OTG cable with a usb hub which is powered.

My high mileage turd.

These work as verified by a members of the reddit group (which is private):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281780205504

[ame=http://www.amazon.de/mumbi-Video-Grabber-USB-Nachbearbeitung/dp/B002RX49AU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441626721&sr=8-1&keywords=mumbi+grabber]mumbi Video Grabber USB 2.0 - Audio und Videograbber: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör[/ame]

So from what you have posted, it looks like one would just buy any rear view camera which outputs the video signal via composite or S-video protocol then?

Not quite, the chip has to be an STK1160 chip which is only compatible with XP (and Linux). Some of the newer ones which are advertised as being compatible with Win7 are not the STK1160 and those apparently will not work.

I bought one of the STK1160 cameras, but just haven't tried plugging it in yet.

Yea, I have a backup camera that I've been using off and on.

The important parts is a nice wide FOV, and the LUX rating. I ended up buying this one:

[ame=http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00GSFIJS6?ref_=pe_1162070_123184320]Esky EC170-06 World Smallest HD Color CCD Waterproof Vehicle Car Rear View Backup Camera, 170 Degree Viewing Angle Rearview Camera(0.86*0.65*0.50 inch): Amazon.ca: Electronics[/ame]

Yea, I have a backup camera that I've been using off and on.

The important parts is a nice wide FOV, and the LUX rating. I ended up buying this one:

Esky EC170-06 World Smallest HD Color CCD Waterproof Vehicle Car Rear View Backup Camera, 170 Degree Viewing Angle Rearview Camera(0.86*0.65*0.50 inch): Amazon.ca: Electronics

mmh. very nice. Are you satisfied with it so far?

Also, where are you going to mount it?

sorry for all the questions :).

Hey no worries, happy to help.

I've already mounted it, and was using it with a wireless transmitter (it creates it's own wifi network which my tablet would connect to view the stream). Quality is great, no complaints there.

I mounted it directly above the license plate sort of upside down in how it shows in the photos. The nice thing is the camera rotates within the bracket so you can mount the bracket anyway that works and then just rotate the camera until it is correctly oriented. Above the license plate is the license plate lights, and I attached it to the same trim that holds the lights.

Whelp, just bought a 2012 N7 tablet for $45 off Amazon (used, obv). Now I need to do my learning on the software setup side of things. Might need to build another 5V adapter too... I currently have a 5V, 1A flyback DC-DC converter I built powering two USB ports in my center console box, but I feel like I'll need more than a 1A supply for this tablet.

I have no idea. Still have to do all my learning. From what I've been seeing in my cursory glances, people seem to like using Timur's ROM, so that's probably going to be my first check.

Is there any reason people use USB DACs instead of just using the built-in 3.5mm output from the tablet?

What version of android do you have on that tablet? The timur rom for that tablet, I think, requires 4.2.2. if your tablet came with Lollipop, you may have to downgrade before you can install that timur rom. No one has confirmed that to me though :(.

You can use the newer android software but i couldn't figure out how to. Timurs rom is compatible with usb dac and all that jazz. Its safer to use the non new version. Its easier if you have some back ground in flashing roms and all that.

My high mileage turd.

Yeah, I don't foresee any trouble there. I'm an EE by trade, and have plenty of experience with OSes/software/etc. I mostly just have to find the right apps for what I want.

Speaking of that... is there anything that you guys use to keep track of maintenance intervals? As much as I dislike the stock spec.B nav system, I quite like having the oil-change, fluids, tire pressure, etc., reminders built into that system. I'd like to have something similar when I switch to the tablet setup, but I'm not sure there's anything out there that could do a mileage-based reminder (I know I could set a calendar-based reminder no problem). I imagine I'll have the data available through BtSsm, but I'm not sure how well that could interface with anything else that may or may not even be written. Maybe I'll have to write something myself! :spin:

Also, to reiterate my question, is there any reason people use USB DACs for audio (besides having a line-in for a mic)? I'd prefer to just use the built-in 3.5mm audio output from the tablet if possible. Saves me extra crap to order and setup. This is, of course, assuming the onboard DAC on the N7 isn't complete trash.

Edited by solidxsnake

Yeah, I don't foresee any trouble there. I'm an EE by trade, and have plenty of experience with OSes/software/etc. I mostly just have to find the right apps for what I want.

Speaking of that... is there anything that you guys use to keep track of maintenance intervals? As much as I dislike the stock spec.B nav system, I quite like having the oil-change, fluids, tire pressure, etc., reminders built into that system. I'd like to have something similar when I switch to the tablet setup, but I'm not sure there's anything out there that could do a mileage-based reminder (I know I could set a calendar-based reminder no problem). I imagine I'll have the data available through BtSsm, but I'm not sure how well that could interface with anything else that may or may not even be written. Maybe I'll have to write something myself! :spin:

Also, to reiterate my question, is there any reason people use USB DACs for audio (besides having a line-in for a mic)? I'd prefer to just use the built-in 3.5mm audio output from the tablet if possible. Saves me extra crap to order and setup. This is, of course, assuming the onboard DAC on the N7 isn't complete trash.

Its ok , most run an external dac for it. as per the audio, i have my radio jazzy modded to run aux which i have a blue tooth dongle on. So n7 just connects to that flawlessly. Unless you are an absolute audiophile, you will not notice the difference. Some people run aCar off google play to track their service intervals. Theres plenty of apps out there , i try to avoid writing code if i have to ( even though i had to edit some of timurs rom to better fit my needs).

Edited by battelready

My high mileage turd.

Its ok , most run an external dac for it. as per the audio, i have my radio jazzy modded to run aux which i have a blue tooth dongle on. So n7 just connects to that flawlessly. Unless you are an absolute audiophile, you will not notice the difference. Some people run aCar off google play to track their service intervals. Theres plenty of apps out there , i try to avoid writing code if i have to ( even though i had to edit some of timurs rom to better fit my needs).

That looks to be close to what I'm looking for. Go figure that it's made by Fuelly! Thanks for the tip! :)