LegacyGT.com

19MM Rear Sway Bar Install - Pics

As this car is mainly driven by my wife, I'm looking to keep the mods minimal. But driving it yesterday with 4 people in the car highlighted some suspension deficiencies for me. The back end of this car floats around like I'm driving Grandpa's Cadillac Brougham. The bounce exhibited when going over bumps at high speed was a little disconcerting. As the car is still new, I haven't pushed it in the corners yet so I can't really comment on roll, but can anyone tell me if the sway bar upgrade helps this bouncy condition at all?

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sway bars won't help bouncy, springs and dampers do that.

Peaty,

2019 Imp Sport 5 Dr (Mine) 2013 Outback Premium (Wife's)

2010 Legacy 3.6R (Son), 2001 Forester S (other son)

1999 Miata (my summer ride)

Not really, but I typically drive alone and live in KS, not much to make the car floaty (relatively level here) but the wind :)

Peaty,

I've noticed the "floaty" too, but only with four adults in the car. I also wouldn't compare it to a caddy, but it is a lot less composed with that much weight in the car.

It was an exaggeration, but surprising. It's worse than any other car I've driven recently. I notice it when driving alone, but it's not as bad...

only thing I can think of is the way the rear shocks are dampened and maybe stiffer springs. The car is relatively massive, I don't expect it to handle like my Miata but I agree it could be sprung a little tighter. My last Scooby had JDM Forester STi take offs and a lot of frame stiffening. It was a little too much, it's nice now to be able to drink my coffee on the way in w/o worrying if I'm going to chip my teeth taking a drink when I go over an expansion joint. That car made my Miata feel like a caddy :)

Peaty,

We have uneven pavement here (especially on route 17, a lot worse than I84 or I87) and sometimes the car feels nervous at high speed going over those surfaces. For some reason with almost 2000 miles on my car the springs feel a bit looser than when I had it the first week.

Waiting for my friend to upgrade his on his STi so I can get his stock one. Too cold out there anyway. Not really going to start modding until the weather warms up.

I've tried to wait till it warms up to intall a mod but once the parts are there sitting they start calling my name. next thing you know I'm layered up getting busy.

I just installed the outback 19mm RSB on my LGT--the install was relatively straight forward. I can't really imagine screwing it up, considering how easy it was.

When I test drove the car, though, part of me thought that the car now had more roll through corners. I noticed more understeer, but I can't shake the idea that my car is rolling more. Perhaps I wasn't looking too hard for body roll before installing the RSB, and now that I've installed and begun evaluating it, I'm actively looking for roll.

Am I just being hypersensitive, or is it possible that I installed the RSB incorrectly in a manner that allows for more roll?

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
Any thoughts?

The longer I drive around with the 19mm rsb, the more I realize how much of an improvement it really does make. My ruminations on increased roll earlier were simply the result of hypersensitivity. I notice significantly more understeer, and more of a tight feeling in corners.

The biggest improvement is, though, on the highway. The car doesn't wander around as much, and isn't as impacted by wind gusts. The car feels much more set in its path, instead of gliding around the lane. Big improvement.

The longer I drive around with the 19mm rsb, the more I realize how much of an improvement it really does make. My ruminations on increased roll earlier were simply the result of hypersensitivity. I notice significantly more understeer, and more of a tight feeling in corners.

The biggest improvement is, though, on the highway. The car doesn't wander around as much, and isn't as impacted by wind gusts. The car feels much more set in its path, instead of gliding around the lane. Big improvement.

Thanks for this info. This has sold me on getting one. My commute to work is 95% highway for 30+ miles and I need to cut down on the wandering around it does.

Archived