LegacyGT.com

19MM Rear Sway Bar Install - Pics

Just installed mine today,the hardest part of the job was snaking the new s/b back thru the duel exhaust pipes,with car backed up on ramps.

Also ordered some Kartboy endlinks,'cause the stockers look just a tad bigger than the size of a friggin pencil!

Plus the way the bar end of the stock end link articulates some 50°,almost defeats the purpose.

And YES the new bar that's being discussed in this thread is 19mm!

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had the STi 19mm bar installed. The car is much flatter in turns. Great upgrade that everyone should do. Had it done at AZP.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll177/jmark42/f448eb5c.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll177/jmark42/35151efe.jpg

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

any rubbage? i remember reading peaty's post about rubbing and needing to rotate something to get it to work.

Ok just installed the KartBoy end links....piece of cake job!

You will need a couple 17mm wrenches though.

The KB dog bones are very well made and twice the thickness and almost half the weight.....8mm vs 16 and 318grms vs 169.

Plus shipping only took 3 days from San Diego!

As far as "rubbage" goes I'd say there's at least an inch clearance between the upper bolt and the lower spring perch....see pic!

On Peaty's he used a Whiteline RSB if I remember,so the bend at the end of the swaybar is probably not as pronounced as the OEM's,which could definitely cause clearance issues.

Roadtest:

Rides just a tad firmer but feels so much tighter thru turns etc. mainly do to not having one end articulate 50° like the OEM part.

Overall well worth a buck twenty five! IMO

1758869549_Subiepics006.thumb.jpg.e8babea5fd3b73555630be26f8298a26.jpg

^ I'd recommend changing out the stock OEM lower end link bolts. Unless Kartboy has changed their design.... the sleeve ID on the endlink is a bit larger than the stock bolt OD on the '10 Legacy. I replaced my OEM bolts with ones that fit the sleeves properly. I also enlarged the mounting holes on the lower arm to accommodate the new bolt size.

I overlooked this issue when I installed mine and developed a suspension knock about 3 weeks after the install. Everything was torqued to spec, but the noise turned out to be the problem mentioned above.

Everything is good now. ;)

^ I'd recommend changing out the stock OEM lower end link bolts. Unless Kartboy has changed their design.... the sleeve ID on the endlink is a bit larger than the stock bolt OD on the '10 Legacy. I replaced my OEM bolts with ones that fit the sleeves properly. I also enlarged the mounting holes on the lower arm to accommodate the new bolt size.

I overlooked this issue when I installed mine and developed a suspension knock about 3 weeks after the install. Everything was torqued to spec, but the noise turned out to be the problem mentioned above.

Everything is good now. ;)

Good point about reusing the OEM lower bolts,because the stock lock nuts loose their locking value after a couple r & r's.

KB should supply them in the package,but they don't.

Thanks!

Damn this forum is addictive! You people are just enabling me to spend more money...

I just got this car last Friday, so I think I'll give it a while before doing this mod. Though it sounds very worth while. I guess I need to drive it a bit more to feel how it is stock before messing with it. I still don't have over a 100 miles on it yet, but all this talk has me wanting to get out my metric wrenches and start tinkering!

Damn this forum is addictive! You people are just enabling me to spend more money...

I just got this car last Friday, so I think I'll give it a while before doing this mod. Though it sounds very worth while. I guess I need to drive it a bit more to feel how it is stock before messing with it. I still don't have over a 100 miles on it yet, but all this talk has me wanting to get out my metric wrenches and start tinkering!

Come on, its only $100!!! He he.

-Rogue77`

I'm just here for the mods.

See! That's where it starts! The last car I totally went nuts on was a 1999 VW Passat 1.8T with a new "chipped" ECU, springs and struts, massive custom FMIC, European headlamp assemblies and HIDs, new sound system, upgraded Audi brake system, lightwieght crank pully and all sorts of other stuff. And where did that get me when the car got crushed in a highway accident?

Well I'm alive and I did steal some of that stuff back out of the car at the wrecking lot before they sold it at auction. But still...

OK, it was a lot of fun to do the work, improve the car and drive the snot out of it on the street and at the local road course, race track. It was a lot of money for that stuff...

See! That's where it starts! The last car I totally went nuts on was a 1999 VW Passat 1.8T with a new "chipped" ECU, springs and struts, massive custom FMIC, European headlamp assemblies and HIDs, new sound system, upgraded Audi brake system, lightwieght crank pully and all sorts of other stuff. And where did that get me when the car got crushed in a highway accident?

Well I'm alive and I did steal some of that stuff back out of the car at the wrecking lot before they sold it at auction. But still...

OK, it was a lot of fun to do the work, improve the car and drive the snot out of it on the street and at the local road course, race track. It was a lot of money for that stuff...

See, you don't have to go crazy right away, you can go crazy in smaller bites. First get a cat-back exhaust - I recommend the Invidia Q300 as I have it (less than $700). Sway bar is an easy and very affordable ($100). Maybe a little window tinting and clear bra on the front. WeatherTech digital Fit floor mats of you are in a climate that gets some snow. Then you can go catted Invidia DP ($550) and a e-tune or protune ($150-200). That's all you need for a while.

Then maybe a second set of rims to run dedicated summers on and run winters on your stockers. If they ever make an intake, that can go on anytime. Hella supertones are about $150 installed (by mechanic), $125 if installed by yourself (with the subimods.com setup).

All in all not that expensive. Q300, RSB should be top of the order and then everything else is in smaller bites :)

-Rogue77`

Well the clear bra and window tinting are done. Bought those from the broker I got my car from. $575 for the 3M Clear Bra and 20% window tint all the way around. So I guess I've started modding it already, even before I took possesion of the car! :rolleyes:

The rims for sure! My last car had this stunning set of BBS CH's 17x8.5 that made the look of the Audi look killer. These wheel arches in this new car are pretty huge to fill. Maybe a small amount of lowering will be needed too.

Ahhhh... It's just time and money! :rolleyes:

Look into Race Comp Engineering for lowering springs, if that is all you want. I will buy them for their slight ride height decrease at some point in time. And you have to at least go 18" for the wheels on this leggy! 19" if you're pimp.

-Rogue77`

Yeah, that's what I've been reading. Those RCE springs sound interesting for sure. I had to drive the car a bit today to get to and from work and had some fun pushing the car over some pretty open roads. I was impressed with the throttle response and handling of the car. I haven't gotten to really push the car through some hard corners to truely test the suspension.

It's snowing, yet again here in the Denver area. We showeled a good 8 inches of the white stuff off the driveway this morning while there was a break in the weather. But now the second half of the storm is coming through. It looks like it'll miss you guys in Chicago this time and head South of you.

I am discovering how this car acts in the snow pretty quickly though. And I discovered the switch for turning the traction control on and off! :D;)

My former A6 had this too. The button was labled "ESP." Kind of a wierd name, but that car was a whole lot of fun when there wasn't anything to hold it back. I love seeing four Rooster tails coming up from a car doing a cookie in the snow!

Hello,

I called the parts guy at the Subaru dealer today and asked about buying the 19 mm sway bar for my Legacy LTD 2.5. He really was not recommending buying this saying that it is for the Impreza. He went on to say more or less that the service department would not be willing to install this. I quoted him the part number but no go.

Instead he gave me the number for an after market seller.

Any body else have this reaction? Any thoughts?

Press "1" to ignore.

08+ WRX/STI fits. The 19mm is a huge gain for little cost.

It's not in the SOA repair manual. Many have installed the 19mm bar. Here is the same bar listed for the Outback. Many have gotten this one and installed it:

https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_108_120&products_id=1267&osCsid=12079149edf636524cefa48cd7b5ce03

I went with a Whiteline 23mm 3 position adjustable RSB. I will be installing hte RCE springs and wanted to have the option to further tighen up. Of course will need better endlinks....

08+ STi OEM rear sway bar fits. I had it installed on my 08 Impreza Outback Sport (by the dealer). I had it removed at trade in and installed into my 2011 Legacy. It fits perfectly. Sad to say, but sometimes we (this forum) knows more than the people who are certified to work on our cars.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

Archived