LegacyGT.com

Post your blacked-out headlight pictures!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You sure Mike does this service? Last I heard which was a while ago, he didn't do this any more.

He did mine back in 2010 and it was a pain to do it and the chrome was peeling, then he dropped one of the headlights and had to get me a new set and redo. After all that work, it started to fog. That's why he didn't want to deal with our lights anymore lol. I had those headlights for about 3 years before I got a new set of 2013 lights, retrofitted hid projectors and removed amber reflectors. Honestly, 2013 lights come black housed and I would just get that set either from eBay (only legacy's version is black, outback is chrome), or get a set from dealers without harnesses.

He did mine back in 2010 and it was a pain to do it and the chrome was peeling, then he dropped one of the headlights and had to get me a new set and redo. After all that work, it started to fog. That's why he didn't want to deal with our lights anymore lol. I had those headlights for about 3 years before I got a new set of 2013 lights, retrofitted hid projectors and removed amber reflectors. Honestly, 2013 lights come black housed and I would just get that set either from eBay (only legacy's version is black, outback is chrome), or get a set from dealers without harnesses.

I remember him mentioning he was blacking out another set for a forum member...I guess it was yours, LOL.. I was only replacing the lens because I burnt the shit out of the drivers side lens when I was blacking mine out.

Finally got around to doing mine this weekend. The stupid chrome came off with the tape, so I painted it all black then hand painted the accenty bits with acrylic paint. It turned out pretty damn well. I also threw in some retrofitsource clear projector lenses while I was in there and replaced the fog lights with retrofit's led fogs since I had the bumper off.

1518808393_2015-04-2522_16_29.thumb.jpg.4efee1608b5f9b0143d865c22c6f0e81.jpg

1695996895_2015-04-2918_39_02.thumb.jpg.c72d090ee3d6507480d3ade29b13016d.jpg

378104986_2015-04-2918_39.4.thumb.jpg.6b895eba770661d15a904e0a03df26fe.jpg

Finally got around to doing mine this weekend. The stupid chrome came off with the tape, so I painted it all black then hand painted the accenty bits with acrylic paint. It turned out pretty damn well. I also threw in some retrofitsource clear projector lenses while I was in there and replaced the fog lights with retrofit's led fogs since I had the bumper off.

Looks great! Did you use the oven or the heat gun to open them up?

retrofitsource clear projector lenses

What ones did you get bc about two years ago when I did mine the lenses I got where to thin and I would have had to make a shim to make them fit witch I didn't have time to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What ones did you get bc about two years ago when I did mine the lenses I got where to thin and I would have had to make a shim to make them fit witch I didn't have time to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Retrofit's 2.5" black series are the exact same dimensions as the stock lenses, but you still needed to do some shimming if you want a really tight cutoff.

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/lenses/morimoto-black-series-clear-lens.html#.VUJh3JPG_VY

The spacers from retrofit wouldnt work since there isn't any room between the clips and the lens, so I ended up getting some really thin carbon washers from a hobby store. I placed the washers on the screws that hold the black lens shroud to the squirrel finder. This allowed the lens to move farther from the lamp. I had to play around with the quantity of washers to decide which I liked more.

Folding down the flap on the squirrel finder didn't completely eliminate the light output from it, so I had to fill in the hole with JB weld. I didn't let it cure fully so it all melted out when I tested it. Again, another time suck.

good times....

I bet! What temp did you bake at and for how long?

270 for 7 minutes (retrofits recommendation) worked really well. I first tried lower temps which was recommended on here, but the butyl sealant wasn't melty enough so it took a couple more trips back to the oven.

• 4 weeks later...
Question for those who have blacked them out. I am using Krylon 2421 Fusion Spray Paint, Satin Black, and was wondering, do I need/should I to apply high temp satin clear coat on them?

Question for those who have blacked them out. I am using Krylon 2421 Fusion Spray Paint, Satin Black, and was wondering, do I need/should I to apply high temp satin clear coat on them?

You shouldn't need it but it can't hurt. I used that exact same paint with no clear and they look fine.

I wasn't planning on it as well, but since I completely f'ed up one of my amber markers while testing with tint spray, i'm going to try to fix them. Since I am going to need clear coat for them, I thought I might as well do the parts I blacked out as well if it helps.

• 1 year later...
Back from the dead bump! http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160921/fb59a17c5564020ce2bcb596c4149d48.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160921/42658f99fe76cdd5df8ee477adb72003.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160921/0eb8bc26b6524eae7ef1aac75935e8e3.jpg

Archived