LegacyGT.com

I want my Outback to handle like a STI

allwheeldrive

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally I have no problems with smartass answers as long as there is some good info mixed in there as well. I am still in the "deciding how to spend my hard earned money" stage. I am slowly piecing together a suspension package and a stage two package together in my head...only problem is pulling the trigger on which route to go first. I love having a car that handles well but going fast is fun. What most likely will end up happening is I will purchase components one by one, stick them in a closet until the entire package is ready, then install at one time.

To all the helpful comments...thank you.

To all the smart a$$ comments...suck it (its a Jersy thing, you wouldn't understand :)

Let me rephrase my parameters as perhaps the term "race car" was not ideal....

1) Have an OB that handles significantly better than it does stock. I primarily dive on pavement but do hit dirt from time to time. Pavement is 80% of my driving.

2) Does this w/o sacrificing ride hight.

3) Retains "some" of its comfort (remember this I am coming from an 06 Civic SI so pretty much anything rides more comfortable than that. Honest to God the OB feels like a cadillac in comparison).

4) All for a budget of about 1K...give or take.

Now....what do you all think?

It will cost you a little more than $1K, but this...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bilstein-japan-bts-suspension-kit-install-parts-list-114243.html?t=114243

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bilstein-bts-kit-japan-domestic-market-bts-5056j-part-numbers-132222.html?t=132222

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bilstein-bts-outback-xt-kit-pictures-111880.html

And a set of sway bars, and good tires is likely to get you as close to your goal of satisfying that list of requirements as your going to find...

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

225/60HR16 Bridgestone G009's

No he baited people who like to act like assholes on forums.

:eek: how dare you call jagcars an asshole! you should be ashamed of yourself......didn't your mom ever tell you to respect your elders?

:hide:

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

OPposter, your "special K" avy is offensive to horses. and addicts. and photographers.

Yes. Yes it is...usually the more offensive something is the more I appreciate it. I'm gonna go and join a NA forum and use that as my avy w/ the screen name of "cheapdrugsforsale"

lol...you don't even know how old I am...

yep you are right....but I know how old jagcars is:lol: well roughly anyways. ;)

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Hey, go easy on me!

http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo102/jagcars26/Statler_Waldorf.jpg

<< proud member of the AARP Racing Team:p

ahh!! I was a small child when this show was on. thanks for the reminder pops:lol:

We are in NNJ so we may be able to help you out.

We've done several conversions of OBXT to LGT suspensions in various forms.

For your situation you will have to give a little in all areas.

My suggestion would be to get a set of Koni Inserts which are mated with LGT struts and couple that with some sway bars and add some skid plates.

This will drop your ride height to legacy height, and with the adjustable Konis you will be able to control some of the stiffness (stiffer setting for highway, softer for offroad). Adjustable sways will help you out in terms of body roll. Skid plates front and rear will help you to be protected off road from hitting stuff due to the lower profile from the legacy suspension. To gain some of that height back you can go with OB sized tires, rather than the lower profile LGT tires.

This is not an ideal situation but it could work for you.

Of course the $1k pricetag is laughable unfortunately.

Let us know if we can help you out.

-mike

Archived