LegacyGT.com

I want my Outback to handle like a STI

allwheeldrive

Got me there I guess. Still I'll take inexperienced over 12,000 posts anyday. Seriously dude on the couch, how much time does that take?

The point of the story is that you can't have the best of both worlds and you sure can't have it on a budget. Peel yourself away from Star Wars & your over-posting habit and you'd see that.

You wouldn't understand it's a Jersey thing.

X

---

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would like my 05 Outback to handle like a race car...eventually. I would like to reach this goal without sacraficing ride hight. I also want to be able take the car off road in the mountains like it was meant to (I do a lot of camping). Last but not least I do not want to sacrifice the comfortable ride...too much. Is this possible? If so could it be done for under 1K? What components would be needed?

This is an ambitious project I can tell :eek:

I'd say go stage 2; get a front LSD; beef up the suspension a wee - that is the most you can reasonably do. But it will be 3 G not 1 G. And it will not be neither a race car nor an off-roader.

To all the helpful comments...thank you.

To all the smart a$$ comments...suck it (its a Jersy thing, you wouldn't understand :)

Let me rephrase my parameters as perhaps the term "race car" was not ideal....

1) Have an OB that handles significantly better than it does stock. I primarily dive on pavement but do hit dirt from time to time. Pavement is 80% of my driving.

2) Does this w/o sacrificing ride hight.

3) Retains "some" of its comfort (remember this I am coming from an 06 Civic SI so pretty much anything rides more comfortable than that. Honest to God the OB feels like a cadillac in comparison).

4) All for a budget of about 1K...give or take.

Now....what do you all think?

To all the helpful comments...thank you.

To all the smart a$$ comments...suck it (its a Jersy thing, you wouldn't understand :)

Let me rephrase my parameters as perhaps the term "race car" was not ideal....

1) Have an OB that handles significantly better than it does stock. I primarily dive on pavement but do hit dirt from time to time. Pavement is 80% of my driving.

2) Does this w/o sacrificing ride hight.

3) Retains "some" of its comfort (remember this I am coming from an 06 Civic SI so pretty much anything rides more comfortable than that. Honest to God the OB feels like a cadillac in comparison).

4) All for a budget of about 1K...give or take.

Now....what do you all think?

Buy a Porsche:lol:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I would like my 05 Outback to handle like a race car...eventually. I would like to reach this goal without sacraficing ride hight. I also want to be able take the car off road in the mountains like it was meant to (I do a lot of camping). Last but not least I do not want to sacrifice the comfortable ride...too much. Is this possible? If so could it be done for under 1K? What components would be needed?

To answer your question, for real, no. Not at all. You can't get a "race car feel" or anything close to it without sacrificing ride height. It's a give and take. You can't have a ride height that has 8 inches of ground clearance AND is a super comfortable ride yet handles like you could track it without body roll. Sorry dude, you just can't do it..............

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

I think this is what you need:

http://www.home4auto.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/porsche-cayenne-tipronic.jpg

But maybe you should have gotten this:

http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/Dino%20Dalle%20Carbonare/JULY2009/Forester%20STi/ForesterSTi-65.jpg

You'll spend too much money to make it what you want. Is like trying to make the Legacy 2.5i a turbo car when there is already the GT for less than the conversion would take.

X

---

...because youve gotten flamed enough, IMO, I'd say first decide if this new plush ride of yours is at all worth sacrificing for less body roll. If so, Start with thicker swaybars & endlinks. This will decrease body roll without worsening ride harshness. If theres still too much body roll, then also look to a stiffer spring (but i dont know of many which will stiffen your ride without dropping the height). LSD research might be worth your time too. I would say that the salt/pepper which you need to properly season your outback steak would be swaybars/endlinks.

If, however, you decide that is too modest for your needs, heres a quick image search for your "offroad racecar":

2078977193_offroadracecar.jpg.13bc848d13c289e1a93c266946801b8f.jpg

715807161_offroadracecar2.jpg.ad23be0f2e8dc240fcaaf2c389420c49.jpg

613964652_offroadracecar3.jpg.c8df453a353d41721976fe79ec28ff83.jpg

2106303218_offroadracecar4.jpg.7855bb9849b9e08969643a05586f0f58.jpg

2129622908_oopsidroppedit5.JPG.2bd34f6b9071a0dadb5be9114f892f5c.JPG

• Mega Users
Realistically, the only way is with coil overs. They can be had for $1000 or so, but you will also want sway bars, so thats another $300. Or you can compromise on that and go with just a rear sway which would be $150 or so. The problem is that coil overs require maintenance occasionally. They have to be re-valved after so many miles. So for $1150 you can get the parts. Then you have to do the install.

I think unfortunately, the serious question was posed in the wrong way. He accidentally baited the trolls. It should have read "how can I make my outback perform the best while sacrificing the least."

He didn't bait any trolls,he baited the folks who know WTF their talking about.

"Silk purse,Cows ear" ring a bell with you?

:spin:

Archived