LegacyGT.com

Koni Shock/Strut & Epic Engineering Spring Install

Just finished the install. Took 1 and a 1/2 days because it was my first time using a springs compressor and the oversized claws on the compressor and with the way the koni rear coils coil very tightly at the top made it a huge PITA to install.

Also had to reassemble twice on all 4 struts because I stupidly decided to try and go with the OEM top hat nuts instead of the 19mm Koni nuts and they just kept spinning when I lowered the car.

Overall impressions is the car is very forgiving over poor quality highway roads and gave very little body roll while going in a circle for the on ramp. Definately love it and wish I had done springs much sooner when I took that circle. Sort of wish I had switched to my summer tires to try it out.

With a good alignment you will absolutely love them. Don't be afraid to play around with the settings. I ran them a little too soft for my springs at first (Rallitek) and they were a little bouncy. I firmed up the dampers and I now have - no bounce, a firm but compliant ride, and very little body roll. A million times better than the factory struts.

• 1 month later...
Epic springs here. I thought the rears were a PITA to get to compress because I chose the wrong number of coils to compress but feel is completely different from the slopyness of the stock setup. I can't say if its more the springs making the difference or the struts but definately way more comfortable than my friends bug eyes on stock struts w/ I think pinks for long trips.

$1100 delivered to CON US. Koni with Epic. Full bolt in package (front and rear). Plus $150 core fee. Refunded when I get your OEM's back. Need everything but front and rear springs and rear struts.

So total is $1250 up front. $150 is refunded. I anticipate you spending $40-$50 to ship back to me. Should put total at $1150.

I see that as $850 for the parts. $150 for the labor and $100 for shipping to you.

• 4 weeks later...
From my research it looks like the only option I have for improving the handling of my OBXT using dampers and not lowering significantly are the KYB GR2's with Rallitek springs. On this basis I'm assuming this walkthrough wouldn't apply to me and that there's no way to adapt Koni's to an Outback. :icon_sad:

Just found this walkthrough. Well done Rick! Wish I'd had this when installing mine although I had help by experienced hands so it went pretty smoothly. Except when I tried to help and installed the rear spring perch upside down. ;)

I've got the original Eibach springs on my wagon with a 1/4" "saggy butt" spacer in the rear to accommodate the extra weight of the wagon's rear end.

Pics here...

On stock wheels.

And on 18 X 8 GC05's.

Cheers!

Edited by goneskiian

• 1 month later...
Does any place sell plug and play kits so to speak were you don't HAVE to do this?

There's a vendor on here that sells this setup as a full bolt on kit, you have to send back your stock suspension after the swap to get the core charge back. It's like 1250 total with 150 back when he gets your stock suspension back.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Msprank is working on my setup this weekend. I'm having a local speed shop install them and disassemble the OEM suspension to send back for the core charge refund. I'll post my experience, but I believe it will be seamless. Basically, an out-of-the-box bolt-on solution.

• 2 weeks later...

No saggy butt here :D

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o264/rustycoupe/IMG_20110228_125858.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o264/rustycoupe/IMG_20110220_171753.jpg

Great thread guys. I never thanked you when I put these on a couple months ago.

It really is easy...the cutting scared the crap out of me but it went great!

If I do cut the oem bumpstops, I was thinking no more than .5" and on the big end to keep as much progressiveness as possible. Or should I cut the smaller end? How much can be removed before running into the troubles with the koni strut bottoming out?