LegacyGT.com

Frequency Response: Stock vs. CleanSweep

msmith

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Errrmmm.... I don't think I can do that guys, sorry. We have a large quantity of units on order from dealers (basically the first production run is spoken for and a chunk of the second production run, too)... If I were to pull some aside, I don't think they would be very happy.

If you want one, talk to your local dealer... plunk down a deposit. That's my best advice.

• 4 weeks later...
So once cleansweep is installed, you have to use the master volume attacked to that unit as opposed to using the volume control knob on the factory unit to get the full effect?

So once cleansweep is installed, you have to use the master volume attacked to that unit as opposed to using the volume control knob on the factory unit to get the full effect?

Correct because then you get the maximum amount of correction. Since most stock units (inclduing ours) change the bass/treble output as the volume changes it would kind of defeat the purpose..

Plus the big plus of using the cs's knob is you get a crystal clear aux in for ipod/xm/etc

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I wonder how long it takes for someone to hack the volume knob on the stereo, and run the clean sweep volume signal from the OEM knob.

That would be interesting. Set the stereo volume to 25, or whatever the calibration point is, then clip the leads between the knob and the Head Unit. Re-direct the knob's potentiometer output to the clean-sweep, and control the whole system volume from the OEM volume knob. I wonder if that could be adapted to get the signal from the steering-wheel audio controls, if the Legacy ever gets them...

I know that would void the warranty on the OEM head unit, but at that point, I might actually pay-to-play if it ever failed later on.

It probably isn't possible, but oh, well. Until Subaru gets a clue, and offers an aux input on their non-replaceable HU, A Clean-sweep still makes the most sense for good audio, and Aux-in from an iPod, even if I would have to deal with 2 volume knobs. A good 5 channel amp, JL 8IB4 sub (if I can still find one by the time I have a Legacy...), and a nice set of coaxials for the doors... sounds nice to me.

The question is, what automotive speaker manufacturer resembles the value of my NHT home theater speakers. A good price for a speaker that sounds as good or better than much more expensive-name or flashier drivers. JL Audio might fit that description, or Memphis Audio... Any other quality-before-fame brands?

I am not as up on car audio as I once was.

That would be interesting. Set the stereo volume to 25, or whatever the calibration point is, then clip the leads between the knob and the Head Unit. Re-direct the knob's potentiometer output to the clean-sweep, and control the whole system volume from the OEM volume knob. I

Hehe would be a hell of a time fixing it if you ever had to disconnect your battery :)

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I actually have one more question about the CS..

Since the CS compensates for the 'eq' of the OEM deck, does that mean that the bass/mid/treble controls will essentialy become uselss because the CS will try to counteract their effect?

Since the CS is initially setup with mic and install CD (and tones controls set to flat), I would say they still work. It picks up how the EQ affects dynamic range and compression through the volume range. Once that is set, you should be able to tune bass and treble normally.

Since the CS is initially setup with mic and install CD (and tones controls set to flat), I would say they still work. It picks up how the EQ affects dynamic range and compression through the volume range. Once that is set, you should be able to tune bass and treble normally.
Ach-ha!

Oh that is sweet now that I think about it, so not only does it compensate for the head unit but it will also compensate for any dips in the frequency response of your aftermarket amp/speakers... or am i on crack?

the mic will pick up on the response in-car, so it accounts for speakers, EQ, and how they work together in a closed environment. There is a reason they used a 32 bit SHARC processor in there. ;)

OK now what???

I just installed:

Alpine V12 MRV-F345

http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/item_info?p_item_name=MRV-F345&p_category=40&p_subcategory=120&p_main=10&p_more=y

Focal Polyglass165 V Slim

http://www.focal-fr.com/car/download%20fr/Polyglass%20V2/Fiches%20HP/165VSlim.pdf

Focal Polyglass 165 CV

http://www.focal-fr.com/car/download%20fr/Polyglass2005/fiches/tech165CV1.pdf

Alpine V12 MRD-M1005

http://iweb.alpine-usa.com/pls/admn/item_info?p_item_name=MRD-M1005&p_category=40&p_subcategory=140&p_main=10&p_more=y

Focal 27 Twin Lux

http://www.focal-fr.com/car/en/caissons/twinlux.htm

Alumpro 5 Farad Capacitor

Now they tell me that the JL Audio Cleansweep will be available late this month...early next month!!!

To tell you the truth...this system sounds so clean and clear...I don't know how the Cleansweep can make it any better!!! I guess time will tell!!!

CRAZY KEN

I am just wondering how people can write about it when it's not even available yet...are they making educated guess...@$$umptions..what!!! I just hope this hype is worth $400!!!

CRAZY KEN

I'll do a write up when I install it!!! ;)

I actually have one in my LGT, which is why I wrote about it. Does that count? ;)

I posted some pretty explanatory freq. response plots on the first page of this thread, measured in my LGT wagon. That should give you a pretty clear picture of what the CleanSweep does.

Anyone planning on installing one of these in the NYC area? I've tried called a few places and none of them know when they are coming in and what is involved in installing a one. I would like to get one but don't want to be a guinea-pig for a installer.

Thanks

mlr

Well msmith is a member of this site and he is the V.P of JL and if your installer has any questions he could call jl and ask them how there installer did it, or pm msmith an ask him personally and he could guide you in the right direction

\

jim

ps just make sure there jl dealers

Anyone planning on installing one of these in the NYC area? I've tried called a few places and none of them know when they are coming in and what is involved in installing a one. I would like to get one but don't want to be a guinea-pig for a installer.

Thanks

mlr

As soon as tweeter gets one i'm buying it. :) And yes Manville has a LGT and had it installed i'm sure he would be more then glad to give any tips tricks etc

So - should we not buy this if the only reason we want it is for the aux in? I have a factory sub and speakers and have no plans to upgrade them - they are fine for my purposes, but I would gladly pay $400 if I can play my MP3 player and not use the crappy FM modulator.

Should I not do this? Is the clean sweep going to screw up my regular system? I couldn't tell from the other posts.

No - this is meant as the basis of a complete upgraded system (it requires outboard amplification). If you don't plan to change anything, your best bet would be an FM modulator with AUX in.

I also have the same question...I can understand from the posts that I would not be taking advantage of all that the CL can give me but...I really just want a way to play my ipod...no need to upgrade speakers, amp, etc. So...can I just use the CL for that purpose w/o making other changes?:confused:

I also have the same question...I can understand from the posts that I would not be taking advantage of all that the CL can give me but...I really just want a way to play my ipod...no need to upgrade speakers, amp, etc. So...can I just use the CL for that purpose w/o making other changes?:confused:

Negative. The output of the Cleansweep, whether it be the corrected stereo signal from your headunit or your mp3 player signal, will be line-out (RCAs). That signal then needs to be amplified in order for any speakers (stock or otherwise) to play it. Cleansweep does nothing without outboard amplification......unless you want to use a RCA to 3.5mm jack and listen with headphones. ;)

Archived