LegacyGT.com

Frequency Response: Stock vs. CleanSweep

msmith

Sounds good. I can't get the CleanSweep here in CAnada yet, but I can get it on E-bay! SOLD!

I will go with separates and follow some of your suggestions for solid mounting. I will run 16 gauge wire into the doors for that purpose.

I guess you are right, I will get some replacement rears and a small amp to run them.

I will run 2 gauge power wire to the back.

Now I have to figure out how to install a custom I-pod holder w/o affecting the cupholder!

Thanks again.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
max... call GemSen, our Canadian distributor:

They will point you in the right direction.

Gem-Sen

266 Applewood Cres.

Concord, Ontario L4K 4B4

Telephone: 905-660-3110

Email: sales@gemsen.com

I called him, so far nothing!

I ordered it off of e-bay but then I got my money refunded because my Pay-Pal address was not verified!

Now I am stuck with $3000 worth of audio gear and no clean sweep. Please help!

I have done every search imagineable I cannot find it. I feel like you have been teasing me all along with what I could get but can't! I know it will come out eventually, but from what I hear it may be 3 months here in Canada.

I called him, so far nothing!

I ordered it off of e-bay but then I got my money refunded because my Pay-Pal address was not verified!

Now I am stuck with $3000 worth of audio gear and no clean sweep. Please help!

I have done every search imagineable I cannot find it. I feel like you have been teasing me all along with what I could get but can't! I know it will come out eventually, but from what I hear it may be 3 months here in Canada.

PM me please. I might be able to help.

• 10 months later...

Has anyone used the Rockford 3sixty.1 or .2 or have an opinion of that device in comparison to the JL cleansweep?

I was really excited when I found out that these companies were making OEM interfaces - I thought I was going to be trapped with the stock stereo...

I've been out of the audio scene for about 8 years now - I had a lot of respect for Rockford (Symmetry, Wayne Harris, etc) back in the day, but from what I've read in various forums, their amps have gone downhill since then. I was wondering if they had fallen behind on the signal processing front as well.

Of course I'll take msmith's comments on this question with a grain of salt , :) but if he could provide any 3rd party reviews of the two units, I'd be highly appreciative. Thanks!

msmith:

Question about your graphs....

It appears that your red and blue lines are mislabelled at the top of the first and third graph. I am basing this the fact that you calibrated the CS at 25 and the red line seems to reflect the calibration in your second graph. Also, the effect that the graphs currently describe doesn't seem right. (bass and treble boosted from 10->25, then the bass drops off while the treble keeps rising.)

Just wondering if I'm crazy or not....

-Rick

You're correct, Rick

The red and blue lines are mislabeled in the graphs, but described correctly in the text of my first post.

You're not crazy.

msmith:

Question about your graphs....

It appears that your red and blue lines are mislabelled at the top of the first and third graph. I am basing this the fact that you calibrated the CS at 25 and the red line seems to reflect the calibration in your second graph. Also, the effect that the graphs currently describe doesn't seem right. (bass and treble boosted from 10->25, then the bass drops off while the treble keeps rising.)

Just wondering if I'm crazy or not....

-Rick

...to installing the cleansweep????

1. Install cleansweep

2. Adjust OEM stereo volume control to level 25.

3. Run JL calibration CD & calibrate cleansweep.

4. Turn Cleansweep knob all the way up.

5. Adjust amps to maximum undistorted level.

DONE...Am I missing somethin or did I do this totally wrong???

CRAZY KEN

Either way it sounds better than stock!!!

The only part you missed was in step 4... turn CleanSweep to 3/4 of full output and then do step 5. You want to leave some gain overlap (the ability to turn the level past the clipping threshold).

I'm a bit new to all this...all I know is that cleansweep is the best solution...but I have a few other questions...I want to use Cleansweep with an amp hooked up to 2 front speakers and 2 rear speakers...what about the tweeters? and more importantly, what about the factory subaru subwoofer underneath the seat? is that now worthless or is there a way of incorporating that into the mix?

I'm a bit new to all this...all I know is that cleansweep is the best solution...but I have a few other questions...I want to use Cleansweep with an amp hooked up to 2 front speakers and 2 rear speakers...what about the tweeters? and more importantly, what about the factory subaru subwoofer underneath the seat? is that now worthless or is there a way of incorporating that into the mix?

I suggest use passive crossovers on the tweeters. So for front and rears, that takes up all 4 outputs on the Cleansweep. The 3Sixty gives you 6 inputs and outputs, including a dedicated subwoofer output so you can still use that factory sub, with its own dedicated channel. It even comes with a controller that you can use as a master volume to defeat the factory level sensitive EQ or instead as a subwoofer level to control that sub of yours.

msmith,

Like several others that have posted in this thread, my biggest concern with the clean sweep is mounting the volume knob. Have you given any thought to making it controlable via a wireless remote? Even if you had to run a wire with a wireless reciever sensor to the front of the cab for the unit to pick up the signal, it could be placed out of the way and hidden. Then you could control the volume and source without mounting anything and get the perk of having a remote.

Assuming you had to run a sensor to the front, could you make it a plug in option that replaced the knob for those that already own the units?

Another question... my desired setup involves 1 single channel sub amp and 1 four channel amp. With only 4 outputs from the unit, do I just split the rear signal from the sweep with an RCA "Y" adaptor and run it to both the rear of the 4 channel and the sub amp... then control crossover frequency at the amps?

Perhaps some of the electrical gurus will figure out how to control the Cleansweep volume with the steering wheel controls... thad be pimp! :spin:

That would be awesome... not sure if JL could offer that tie-in as an option though, it'd most likely have to be a user mod and void the warranty.

Perhaps some of the electrical gurus will figure out how to control the Cleansweep volume with the steering wheel controls... thad be pimp! :spin:

i've been scouring the "steering wheel volume control" threads for any mention of this concept for the past couple of weeks and haven't found anything. in my mind this is the perfect solution.

the JL control is digital - there's no reason a competent EE couldn't make it work. Lots of similar devices already on the market to control aftermarket stereos through the OEM steering wheel controls.

Asking JL to do it is like asking Alpine to make their CD players work with a BMW 330i. They'll never get that specific...that's what the smaller niche companies are about like Blitz and Dension.

• 2 weeks later...

msmith, thanks for all your input here. I have a few direct questions for you. My friend has an 06 Legacy 2.5i Limited Wagon, 5EAT.

He's definetly not an audiophile; he does not want to switch out the speakers and he definetly doesn't want to add another HUD in the cubby. However, he loathes the FM modulator interface for the iPod and the satellite radio

He wants to add his iPod and SIRIUS radio to the mix and I recommended the CleanSweep. However, if I am understanding this correctly, if he uses a CleanSweep, he'll need to also get a 4-channel amp since the signal from the CleanSweep will be too weak??

Please advise, and thanks in advance.

-sharkbait, woo haa haa! :cool:

fisharkbait...

If you're not planning to upgrade the speakers and add an amp there really is no point to the CleanSweep at all. Unfortunately, the Jazzy aux input mod will not work with the single CD radio in the 2.5i (it only works with the 6-disc unit AFAIK)... I really wish I could suggest a better alternative than the FM-modulator, but I'm afraid that's all I can think of for your friend's situation.

Best regards,

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

Archived