LegacyGT.com

Frequency Response: Stock vs. CleanSweep

msmith

fisharkbait...

If you're not planning to upgrade the speakers and add an amp there really is no point to the CleanSweep at all.

But, if he added the CleanSweep and an amp, he would realise better sound even with the stock speakers, right??? More importantly, he will gain the line in capability that the CleanSweep offers. He's not an audiophile, but he knows good sound. I am probably going to gift him with a set of front seperates, so a speaker upgrade will happen at some point.

He absolutely hates the FM modulator and is willing to spend $$$ to add a line-in capability for his satellite radio and iPod.

Thanks again.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While yes, you could go that route, you'd probably blow the stock speakers unless you went with something like a 15 Watt x 4 aftermarket amp. Why don't you suggest something like a direct line FM modulator? I installed one for my friend about 4 years ago and while you could tell the difference between it and direct line in, it actually sounded really good. This way, he doesn't have to worry about interference coming over open airwaves and can keep the stock speakers. Do a search on Crutchfield for Scosche FM-MOD01; I've used that one before with good results.

fisharkbait...

If you're not planning to upgrade the speakers and add an amp there really is no point to the CleanSweep at all. Unfortunately, the Jazzy aux input mod will not work with the single CD radio in the 2.5i (it only works with the 6-disc unit AFAIK)...

He has the Limited trim level, which includes the 6-disc changer. So, the Jazzy mod would work, yes?

But, if he added the CleanSweep and an amp, he would realise better sound even with the stock speakers, right???

No, flat doesn't mean that it sounds good. You need a way to tune the system afterwards to make it sound good ESPECIALLY considering that you are using factory speakers.

No, flat doesn't mean that it sounds good. You need a way to tune the system afterwards to make it sound good ESPECIALLY considering that you are using factory speakers.

Yep, the factory equilizing is meant for the factory speakers to sound their best, that is why they do it. They are not retarded!

If you are sticking with factory speakers (which suck!!!!!!!!!) then the factory eqing cannot be beat!

• 4 weeks later...

Trying to understand the cleansweep. Just purchased an '06 Outback 2.5i. I have speakers from my '99 outback (Rockford Fosgate Punch ~ prob about 6yrs old and Polk EX series component speakers ~ Prob about 4yrs old). I wanted to put these in and also add something for my iPod. Will cleansweep be a good route? I believe it adds an aux jack. Is it difficult to install (I did the HU and speakers on my '99). Will I need to add an amp. I also have the OEM subwoofer in the car.

Thanks for any help.

Trying to understand the cleansweep. Just purchased an '06 Outback 2.5i. I have speakers from my '99 outback (Rockford Fosgate Punch ~ prob about 6yrs old and Polk EX series component speakers ~ Prob about 4yrs old). I wanted to put these in and also add something for my iPod. Will cleansweep be a good route? I believe it adds an aux jack. Is it difficult to install (I did the HU and speakers on my '99). Will I need to add an amp. I also have the OEM subwoofer in the car.

Thanks for any help.

Do you have manual or automatic climate control?

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Manual controls -

If I were you, since you have manual controls you have the option of replacing the stereo. So you could upgrade to a non-oem head unit. (Us poor bastards with auto/ac have an integrated unit stereo/ac) Which would be your best bang for the buck as most head units will have a basic amplfier built into them and you wont have to re-wire all your speakers.

While the clean sweep is great, if you have an option to replpace the head unit I would go that route from a cost perspective.

Replace HU Route : Cost of dash kit, decent HU (under 200 bucks these days), aux in wire, and then you can run a sub amp off the rca out of the HU, so including a sub amp you could probably do it all under 400 if you're careful.

Cleansweep Route : Cost of Cleansweep which by itself is 500 installed last i checked (it may have come down) But with the clean sweep you have to use external amps for all your speakers, so that means you are looking at the cost of the clean sweep, running 3 sets of RCA cables to your trunk, installing two amps or a 4ch+1ch amp, running speaker wire from the amps to all the doors, running a heavier gauge power cable to the trunk to cover all the amps etc.. all in all you're looking at 800-1000 bucks

Dont get me wrong, the cleansweep is an awesome option for somebody who wants an audiophile level system where replacing the HU is impossible or impractical, however I dont think a cleansweep install in a 2.5i is really worth the cost involved.

http://i12.ebayimg.com/05/i/06/a3/b8/3a_1.JPG

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

One more thing, ive just noticed that cleansweeps have been showing up on ebay..

Rememeber while you may save some cash you are also negating any warranty and or support from JL. JL does not support internet sales of their products.

JL Audio

Thanks for all of the input - That's the route I was going to go but wanted to check all options. When you mention the sub-amp - what are you referring to and is it difficult to install (is there alot of wiring or is it plug and play)

Thanks for all of the input - That's the route I was going to go but wanted to check all options. When you mention the sub-amp - what are you referring to and is it difficult to install (is there alot of wiring or is it plug and play)

Nevermind when i read the thing about your punch speakers I thought you were saying you had a subwoofer.

But if you just plan on swapping out all four speakers, all you would need to do is replace the speakers and replace the head unit. You would only have to run wires for a subwoofer amp if you wanted a sub in the trunk, sorry for the confusion.

• 4 years later...

Archived