LegacyGT.com

Frequency Response: Stock vs. CleanSweep

msmith

Negative. The output of the Cleansweep, whether it be the corrected stereo signal from your headunit or your mp3 player signal, will be line-out (RCAs). That signal then needs to be amplified in order for any speakers (stock or otherwise) to play it. Cleansweep does nothing without outboard amplification......unless you want to use a RCA to 3.5mm jack and listen with headphones. ;)

+1

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I also have the same question...I can understand from the posts that I would not be taking advantage of all that the CL can give me but...I really just want a way to play my ipod...no need to upgrade speakers, amp, etc. So...can I just use the CL for that purpose w/o making other changes?:confused:

+1. But, I guess I will need an aftermarket amp it sounds like. Anyone know an installer in the Los Angeles area that can install the CS and amp for me?

• 2 weeks later...
<---- mine is sitting at the shop waiting for me to go by and pick up. It came in Friday and was part of a very small first batch.

Be glad your location is vague young man... ;)

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Guest clawdnb
hey Jl audio guy....i got a technical question for you....what setup will most acurately reproduce the response of the monitors in my recording studio? i run the mackie 824hr's which have a almost perfectly flat response and are extremely high resolution while still retaining all of the bass 30hz+ and reproducing it all acurately and fast....pm me with your response..heh

Be glad your location is vague young man... ;)

Myer-Emco Fairfax

Price Club Plaza Dr

Fairfax, VA 22030

703-803-9400

Go for it! :D (P.S. I have a deposit on it and it's the shop I used to work at....my old boss has it hidden away so one of his n00bs doesn't sell it to you :lol: )

Myer-Emco Fairfax

Price Club Plaza Dr

Fairfax, VA 22030

703-803-9400

Go for it! :D (P.S. I have a deposit on it and it's the shop I used to work at....my old boss has it hidden away so one of his n00bs doesn't sell it to you :lol: )

LOL! :)

hey Jl audio guy....i got a technical question for you....what setup will most acurately reproduce the response of the monitors in my recording studio? i run the mackie 824hr's which have a almost perfectly flat response and are extremely high resolution while still retaining all of the bass 30hz+ and reproducing it all acurately and fast....pm me with your response..heh

Look at my install posts.

:D

The last time I checked at CarToys, they were not stocking them yet. They wanted a $200 deposit/special order to get one for me. I do not want them to use me as a guinea pig for their first installation experience. They were only able to ball park the $ for the installation since they have not done one yet.

We've shipped several thousand already... shops that pre-ordered them have them.

Best regards,

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

Are they shipping to tweeters yet?

Thank you Manville, just got mine ordered! Should have it in a couple days.

For those ordering them the PN is CL441dsp. Ordering a "clean sweep" gets you little progress.

Apparently they are still all in the Chicago wharehouse.

Thank you Manville, just got mine ordered! Should have it in a couple days.

For those ordering them the PN is CL441dsp. Ordering a "clean sweep" gets you little progress.

Apparently they are still all in the Chicago wharehouse.

I ordered mine!!!!:D :D :D

:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

Manville - forgive me...

Where did you folks order from and for how much?

I have a local dealer who is has one and is willing to sell it to me.... for no less than $379...just want to do a price comparison.

Thanks,

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Manville - forgive me...

Where did you folks order from and for how much?

I have a local dealer who is has one and is willing to sell it to me.... for no less than $379...just want to do a price comparison.

Thanks,

That's a fair price....retail is $399 and most dealers won't discount at all right now.

Cool, look forward to hearing from you guys. There is no doubt in my mind it will make a difference, but I want to hear from someone that has a full system (2 amps and a sub). The only thing thats holding me back is it lacks a non fading subwoofer output (like all high end headunits). Thats a problem for people that listen to all types of music, you can't really set the gains on your setup to adjust to all types of music without that feature (simplified eq so to speak). So anyone thats used that feature in the past and has gone the way of the cleansweep, post or pm.

It's looking the way of the cubby for me at the moment.

Well, my system has two amps and a sub and I have posted extensive details on it, including FR plots... if you're looking for "independent" opinions, I understand. :)

The sub out is no big deal, really. Most sub amps have bass knob options that can be used to affect the bass level and many four-channels can output a non-faded signal to the sub amp. Besides, a properly set up system does not require monkeying with the bass level... if you do your crossover points, phasing and level setting properly.

Jim... We have shipped a small number of ZR650-CSi's (last week). More will ship in about a week.

Best regards,

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been reading all of your posts, thanks for the info!!!

How would you compare the sound quality of the factory head w/ Cleansweep vs a $400-$500 aftermarket head unit?

Also, I saw that you highly recommend going with coaxs. How about 6.5 separates with the tweeter mounted low in the door? or even in the same panel?

More questions if you don't mind.

I have a sedan. I am thinking about a 10 inch sub in the rear side of the trunk. Custom fiberglass install of course. I should be able to get around 1 cubic foot out of there. Now this would be an inefficient sub but would have around 400 - 600 Watts RMS going to it. Would that be preferable to a box right behind the rear seat?

I will likely keep the factory rears and power them with the head unit. If I run about 125 watts to some top quality ($600) fronts do you think that would work with the rears? Or should I upgrade the rears to something half decent and get a small amp for them?

Also, your thoughts on power, seeing as you know the car quite well.

800 RMS of power. 4 gauge power good?

need a cap? 1 farad good?

Thank-you very much for the input!

littlesilvermax...

The sound quality of the stock head with CleanSweep is equivalent to an aftermarket unit. It doesn't obviously give you some of the "bells and whistles" of a $400-$500 aftermarket head, but the sound is very clean.

Separates with low mounted tweeters are fine. This is what I did in my doors. I placed the tweeters in front of the mids on the same plane.

I haven't played with sub placement in a sedan, so I can't tell you for sure which is the best location. I suggest you get the rest of your system installed and then play with a simple test box in various positions to determine which sounds best.

If you're using a CleanSweep you will not want to use the factory head unit power to run the rear speakers. Remember, the CleanSweep will control your master volume (especially if you will be adding an aux. source)... if you hook up the rears to the factory power their volume won't track with the master volume. You don't absolutely have to upgrade the speakers but you will need to amplify them.

With 800 watts and up you will want bigger wire than 4 AWG. I suggest 2 AWG power wire (that's what I'm running with 950 watts). Caps aren't really necessary... a bigger power wire will make more of a difference.

Best regards,

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

Archived