LegacyGT.com

Frequency Response: Stock vs. CleanSweep

msmith

Wow, I'm amazed the volume knob is such a big deal. From .

I didn't say it would be easy. :)

Ideally I don't want to make the decision between sound quality and convenience. I want both.

IMHO having to bolt some extra knob onto the dash just doesn't look clean, IMHO.

I'm not ragging on the product. It's super cool, no doubt and I'll probably get one as I doubt a $30 LOC's gonna sound that great.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Manville, I'm curious about the frequency response of the subwoofer output. Is it a low pass only output? If it is not is it subject to the same frequency response manipulation as the front channel? Maybe they send a non manipulated signal out to the sub and low pass filter it there? If this connection has a flat frequency response regardless of volume position it could be a low cost alternative for those that cannot afford a CS or find one just yet. Thanks for your help!

Dave

Dave... I haven't looked at the Factory sub so I don't know for sure. My hunch is that it is simply a non-faded output (full-range) and that the low-pass filtering occurs in the sub module (I'm pretty sure the sub module has a low-pass filter dial to adjust it's cutoff frequency.)

The EQ may or may not be different on the sub output... Hmmm... measurement might be in order here...

Best regards,

Manville Smith

JL Audio,Inc.

I didn't say it would be easy. :)

Ideally I don't want to make the decision between sound quality and convenience. I want both.

IMHO having to bolt some extra knob onto the dash just doesn't look clean, IMHO.

I'm not ragging on the product. It's super cool, no doubt and I'll probably get one as I doubt a $30 LOC's gonna sound that great.

I wish it was possible to do what you propose, IanKen... but it would require detection of the Volume control position on the factory head unit. I'm sure, given enough time, someone with appropriate technical skills could figure it out and apply an internal modification to the radio to supply this data, but this would probably cost a lot of money and void the radio warranty. The whole point of the CleanSweep is to create clean audio from crappy audio without modifying your car in any permanent way. It may not be perfect, but it certainly makes a huge sound quality difference and is straightforward to install.

The CleanSweep knob is pretty small (less than 1/2-inch diameter), and can be placed inconspicuously in your cup holder area if you want... Mounted on the console, it's actually more comfortable to use than the stock control (less of a reach).

As I've stated before, you can still improve the sound quality with a CleanSweep and not use the CleanSweep's volume knob at all... you just have to deal with the non-linear, volume-dependent EQ effects. If you calibrate the CleanSweep at Volume 25, it will get rid of the bass boominess and mid-range manipulation and be perfectly flat at that volume... Then, you set up your amplifier gains to reach maximum output at this volume level... you will simply have a gradually increasing bass boost as you lower the factory volume control. If the knob is an absolute deal-killer for you, you may want to go with this approach.

Best regards,

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

Dave... I haven't looked at the Factory sub so I don't know for sure. My hunch is that it is simply a non-faded output (full-range) and that the low-pass filtering occurs in the sub module (I'm pretty sure the sub module has a low-pass filter dial to adjust it's cutoff frequency.)

The EQ may or may not be different on the sub output... Hmmm... measurement might be in order here...

Best regards,

Manville Smith

JL Audio,Inc.

Manvillle - your hunch is correct. Speaker level input to the sub via the harness that is a 'T' with the stock harness. The sub module has gain and x-over adjustments.

-Dan

Dan, does it T-off the speaker output wires? If so, does it attach to the front or the rear outputs? Does that mean the factory sub fades with either the front or rear channels?

Manville - The dash harness gets unplugged and the new sub harness replaces it into the back of the radio - the dash harness then plugs back in at the 'T'. The sub gets all power, signal and turn-on from the radio and dash harness.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/PatagonianGT/Subwiring.jpg

The sub gets the signal feed off the rear L & R channel output of the radio, so it has no output when faded to the front.

-Dan

Wow, that's a pretty cheesy way to do it... definitely an afterthought on Subaru's part. If that's the case, then the subwoofer signal is identical to the rear channel signals and most definitely equalized.

Thanks for the info, Dan.

What? Did you really expect a dedicated LFE channel?? :lol: This is an analog Matshusita unit we are talking about. Car audio circa 1985 + the 6 disc MusicBank mechanism licensed from Nakamichi. :D

I didn't expect filtering, but I honestly expected a non-fading stereo pair... it would have only cost about $0.25 more to do that way. But I guess a quarter is a quarter. :)

True. Even my $99 crapola Fisher table-top radio in my garage has a dedicated subwoofer output. I think the decision stems from the sub's common use throughout all Subaru's product line - the sub in my car was in my WRX. I moved it over....only the bracket was different. If you have speaker level in, all you need is the appropriate connectors and a T-harness to adapt it to any model you release. Cheap and functional for 99% of their buyers.

Manville or anyone else who can read those graphs :)

If I was to use a LOC to make the stock head unit a line out and hook it up to my alpine to use as a 6 disc changer... What volume setting should i use on the stock unit for the best sound?

Eric

Eric - looks like '25' from Manville's comments. At least that's where he calibrated it for the test. You want an unclipped output from the stock head unit, so 25 should be safe.

Eric - looks like '25' from Manville's comments. At least that's where he calibrated it for the test. You want an unclipped output from the stock head unit, so 25 should be safe.

Thanks!

Ding!

Ding indeed. My intention was to install my EMPEG unit in the cubby with the CleanSweep handling th output from the stock head unit for radio and CDs.

Alas, it looks as if the EMPEG will not fit. :-( Back to square one.

Ding indeed. My intention was to install my EMPEG unit in the cubby with the CleanSweep handling th output from the stock head unit for radio and CDs.

That sucks!!! :(

How far from fitting is it? Maybe a little Dremel action might help.

So all I need to so is install this product with OEM receiver, Amp and OEM speakers to get a better/cleaner sound?

Or do I need this product and better speakers? If so, what do you recommend?

Or do I need Clean Sweep, replace speakers and add an amp? If so, what amp?

Please help ...Im going CRAZY!!!

CRAZY KEN

So all I need to so is install this product with OEM receiver, Amp and OEM speakers to get a better/cleaner sound?

Or do I need this product and better speakers? If so, what do you recommend?

Or do I need Clean Sweep, replace speakers and add an amp? If so, what amp?

Please help ...Im going CRAZY!!!

CRAZY KEN

This product runs about 400+ bones.. Unless you plan on putting in a nice amplifier and really nice speakers its not really for you.

This device would do you zero good without swapping out the speakers and adding an amplifer... All it does is make the output of the stereo into a good solid signal that aftermarket amps can put to use because the stock stereo has funky EQs to compensate for the stock speakers.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

*gfxdave99 said it all... CleanSweep only makes sense if you are upgrading the speakers and adding an aftermarket amp.

Best regards,

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

*gfxdave99 said it all... CleanSweep only makes sense if you are upgrading the speakers and adding an aftermarket amp.

Best regards,

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

Hey Manville, How about a group buy for LGT owners ;)

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Archived