LegacyGT.com

AVO Project Outback part 1

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been a bit quiet, haven't even had time to drive the car! Moved the website to a new server, finally got the webshop running, then had to tear it down and redo from scratch after finding out that was old'n dodgy software. I'd rather be working on the outback....

Regards,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

Currently it's quite "aggressive". I'd rate the bushing upgrade path higher than the bilstein if I was to choose between the two, to be honest.

Before the Bilsteins, with all the bushings, it just felt a bit thrilling how well it was composed through the corners despite being at stock height on the soft suspension. A very well rounded deep-snow capable setup.

With the bushings plus the Bilsteins, it's enormously capable through the corners, and would not feel out of place at a gymkhana, hill climb, or track course. On the street, though, it's a bit hard. I find myself driving it a bit more aggressive than necessary because of that.

These are revision A Bilsteins - literally the stiffest versions that came out on the Legacy wagon in Japan. If some revision B were available, I'd probably suggest those. I'm simply not sure on availability, it's something that comes and goes. The biggest issue is shipping, lately. It's become quite expensive.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

Sorry!

It's been incredibly busy, and will be through till the 9th - Subiefest.

1. Bilsteins settled. Incredibly hard. BMW's phear me on the onramps.

2. Exhaust testing was finished up today, along with 66mm intake. Minor gains with 2.5" stainless steel mid section and 66mm intake, surprisingly it's mostly a couple foot/lbs of torque in the early rpms. Will need tuning for optimal effect.

3. Turbo kit. Well, well, well..... well.....

Ok, ok, just yanking chains. I've got it sitting on the table right now to be photographed. Had to finish up the exhaust testing before putting the turbo kit on. Car goes up on jackstands today, and life willing, I'll be able to loosely bolt up the up-pipe/turbo and downpipe to make sure we are right, and they do work on the Legacy. Either way, I should have pictures some time tomorrow.

Tuning Tip No.1

Ecuflash and romraider work with this 2007, but ecuflash does not have a definition for it. You can download the rom and use an inherited definition to have it work. But do not use a 2007 Impreza 2.5i defintion (even though the ecu code is *almost* identical) or a 2006 Outback 2.5i definition.

Why? Because both of those ecu's use the older flashing method, not canbus. And when you turn around to reflash the car, it will error, because it's attempting to use the sti05 flashing method, not the canbus method.

So use a 2008 Legacy 2.5i definition file, and life will become sunny and pleasant again. And no, nobody bothers to write that down anywhere. So I am right now.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

I'm interested in the throttle controller too! Can that tighten up shifts on a 5eat without breaking it?

Nope - it'll improve throttle response and behaviour tremendously, but it won't do anything for the transmission shift points. The IPT valve body upgrade is the only way to do that.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

Ok, to keep you updated, here is stage 2 (avo throttle body controller, full cat-back exhaust, AVO 66mm Power Air Intake) vs. our baseline run. I kind of wished I had done more runs at baseline, but then, at the time the plugs/oil/injectors were in such bad shape, I'm not sure I would have wanted to go past 4800rpm...

http://www.avoturboworld.com/media/stage_2.png

Honestly, it runs a bit rich now, but it's not pulling timing. I haven't fitted the car with a proper a/f sensor (my fault) so won't be able to do some tuning with stage 2 before the turbo kit goes on... Next week!

Actually, tomorrow will be the big test, I'm going to loosely fit the main components of the turbo kit. So far it's looking good, but that will be the big test.

regards,

Paul Hansen

Any update on the DIY bushing removal tool for the LCA bushings? Thinking about tackling this with a bigass hammer.

If you do that, you are likely to be in the market for a couple of new control arms. Take them off the car and pay a shop to do the press work. Don't be a hero.

If you do that, you are likely to be in the market for a couple of new control arms. Take them off the car and pay a shop to do the press work. Don't be a hero.

yikes! didn't realize they were that delicate. The only thing I'm worried about is the shop installing them in the wrong direction. Hopefully they can follow printed out directions.

yikes! didn't realize they were that delicate. The only thing I'm worried about is the shop installing them in the wrong direction. Hopefully they can follow printed out directions.

Something I have found when taking your car to shops to have aftermarket parts installed make sure to bring simple things like which direction the bushings should be put in to there attention. Just because somebody does something for a living doesn't mean they are above simple human mistakes like that, plus some people are too damn stubborn to read directions on how to do something, especially when it comes to actions they do on a daily occasion.

I think with a proper explanation of what should be done a shop should be able to perform your work with no problem.

Hi all, watching with great interest. What stage is the project at?

Contacted AVO Australia today and have enquiry on the dbw throttle control, front & rear suspension goodies. Sounds like a small handful of people adopting the throttle control. If you've got it, the rest of us need to hear about it... Don't be shy now.

Great thread for the NA outback kiddies.

Thanks,

Os

Hi all, watching with great interest. What stage is the project at?

Contacted AVO Australia today and have enquiry on the dbw throttle control, front & rear suspension goodies. Sounds like a small handful of people adopting the throttle control. If you've got it, the rest of us need to hear about it... Don't be shy now.

Great thread for the NA outback kiddies.

Thanks,

Os

Archived