LegacyGT.com

Subaru Badge of Ownership

Stiffy

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i have mine sitting here, im anal about install and they put 3m VHB tape so if you mess up theres no turning back!

The site says that removal instructions are included with the badges?

VHB isn't permanent.

Yes, it's much more tenacious (actually, I've switched to VHB for all my interior mounting needs, as this stuff lasts for at least a year, even when cooked under the sun :lol: - many/most speed-detection countermeasures hobbyists are really fond of using 3M VHB on the interior; as with exterior use, provided that the area was in good shape to begin with, the tape releasing without damage is virtually guaranteed) than the stuff that makes up the 3M Automotive Trim/Molding Tape, but it can be released in the same way as with that adhesive. :) And no, it won't, like, lift paint, as long as your original finish wasn't damaged, of course!

A little heat and some dental floss, with a good post-removal clean/polish, will take off VHB-based badges just as well as with the standard 3M Automotive Trim/Molding tape. It'll just take a bit more time and patience to do so, that's all. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Hmmmm, got mine yesterday. I'm definitely not installing them. The surround looks like aluminum in the pictures, but it's really cheap-feeling and looking gray plastic. Also, the badges are way too big. If they were about half-size, they'd look tasteful. But as it is, they look taller than the Subaru.

no complaints here, just scared of installing it wrong. when i installed my ebay lip i didn't know it was 3m vhb, soon as that lip touched metal it was perma stuck! i figured out more or less just tape the template on and stick the badge one at a time didn't realize the little tab didnt really have glue/tape on it.

lucas, the lip is a bit more difficult to dislodge due to its surface area - the more tape surface you have, the more tenacious the hold.

While it would seem to make sense that it's related to the ratio of area-covered versus area-uncovered, it's truly not. ;) Taking off such small squares of adhesive is truly not going to present any problems to anyone who has "de-badged" before.

Even if you pre-clean and prep the surface with alcohol to promote adhesion, as long as you don't "press in" the badges, they'll literally just "cling" to the surface, and you can easily pluck them off and move them around, if-needed. While the tabs do offer some level of alignment help, the fact that Subaru made the individual badges a DIY process means also that there's some level of freedom, to "correct" for the alignment of one piece, with the subsequent.

:)

Yes, 3M's VHB tape does hold much more tenaciously than the traditional 3M Automotive Trim/Molding tape, but it's by no means irreversible, and you truly should not let it intimidate you too much. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

:) NP - glad to help.

Remember to mock-up the install. I didn't like the way mine looked, on either my car or my wife's '09 FXT, when using the "by-Hoyle" recommended positioning of the template.

I ended up halving the vertical distance, to cut void space. But that's an individual-taste kind of thing. YMMV. ;)

I only used the template to establish rough placement. After I placed the large circular badge, I then took off the template and simply eyed the rest of the install.

^ I'll try to do so within the next few days, but no promises - my mother and stepfather are coming into town to visit (my daughter, actually, as they really aren't that interested in seeing me :lol:) and my wife caught whatever bug that her patients had, from when she was on-call last weekend (as you can imagine, the self-quarantine that she'd imposed, to hopefully keep Anna healthy for her gradparents' visit this weekend, meant that I had to do *everything!*), so I've been running my ass off the last couple of days.

What a disaster! :p:lol:

^ I've got one on my LGT, and one on the wifey's FXT. I've got no shame of being a "Ricer." :) Besides, where some people like the debadged look, I actually like badging. :lol:

^ I've got one on my LGT, and one on the wifey's FXT. I've got no shame of being a "Ricer." :) Besides, where some people like the debadged look, I actually like badging. :lol:

pics?

^ :redface: Not yet - My parents visited last weekend (visited our daughter, that is - my mom saw enough of me, the first 18 years of my life :lol:), and this weekend, both the wifey and the kid are down with some kind of bug. :(

^ The order fulfillment process has been and continues to be a little weird...some of the people with order numbers in the low hundreds still haven't gotten their badges yet, while others with numbers in the 30Ks have received theirs, weeks ago.

No rhyme or reason that anyone could figure out, in communities which have been a bit more enthusiastic about this (i.e. SubaruForester.org).

:(

It's free and they are supplying them to THOUSANDS of people....did you expect a badge with diamonds?

I had no plans to stick this on my car right from the get go. So when I received it I started thinking "How can I make this visible to other Subie owners without actually attaching it to my car?". So I took an extra Perrin license plate frame and painted it the graphite color to match my wheels....then I stuck the badge on the bottom of the license plate frame. I actually liked it so I took of my STi frame and put that one on. It is unique and I like it.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/SubieChik/untitled.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee192/SubieChik/untitled2.jpg

I am pretty disappointed with the quality of the badge.

Not going to put it on my car.

Might put it on my basement fridge, it is covered with car and racing stickers.

I was just about to post the same thing, I agree 100%. The badge looks and feels like a cheap plastic and I dont want to make the car tacky and stick it on.

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

Archived