LegacyGT.com

NorCal California Emissions and Inspection Thread

GoSix

Any idea on how long I need to run the car? I usually ride my motorcycle so the wagon is garaged most of the time. 30 days for my free retest and it would suck to go in there and get denied a second time. I tried searching but to no avail.

-tim

They generally say about a gas tank.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is a procedure in the vacation pix for the drive diagnostic.

vacation pix? wtf? :iam::confused::spin:

Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

whiskey

tango

foxtrot

I love the vacation pics. Always find them useful to browse through. Just was not sure which photo to look at for inspiration. Scotty has given me a nice suggestion on which bikini shot to seek out.

-tim

p.s. GoSix loving your avatar. What ya got brewing there?

whiskey

tango

foxtrot

I love the vacation pics. Always find them useful to browse through. Just was not sure which photo to look at for inspiration. Scotty has given me a nice suggestion on which bikini shot to seek out.

-tim

That pic is a couple years old. I think I was brewing a schwarzbier that day. I still have the same kettle and wort chiller, but it's now on a pump..no more gravity feed! :cool:

Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

whiskey

tango

foxtrot

-tim

QSL....:lol:

vacation pix? wtf? :iam::confused::spin:

Search the forum. That's a noob question.

Search for Drive Cycle in the vacation pix. It shows different procedures to initiate different on-board diagnostics.

Search the forum. That's a noob question.

...and that's a douche bag answer.

• 2 months later...

Hey all.

Hoping people who've replied to this in the past and mentioned the Drive Cycle can provide a little more explanation.

I swapped my stock DP back this morning then reflashed to stage 1. 10 miles later I passed the sniff test but failed the OBD. Technician said drive it for 50-100mi and come back for the re-test. My registration is due today, so I'd like to get it all taken care of.

Is there any way to see when there is sufficient data from the AccessPort?

Following the advice above, I've looked at the Drive Cycle vacation pic. Do I need to do all three patterns, or is one enough? Is the "20 minutes at 50mph" cumulative, or does it need to be a solid 20 minute block, and is it 50mph or greater, or 50mph on the dot?

I'll be refreshing the page on my phone while I drive, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hey all.

Hoping people who've replied to this in the past and mentioned the Drive Cycle can provide a little more explanation.

I swapped my stock DP back this morning then reflashed to stage 1. 10 miles later I passed the sniff test but failed the OBD. Technician said drive it for 50-100mi and come back for the re-test. My registration is due today, so I'd like to get it all taken care of.

Is there any way to see when there is sufficient data from the AccessPort?

Following the advice above, I've looked at the Drive Cycle vacation pic. Do I need to do all three patterns, or is one enough? Is the "20 minutes at 50mph" cumulative, or does it need to be a solid 20 minute block, and is it 50mph or greater, or 50mph on the dot?

I'll be refreshing the page on my phone while I drive, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

When you reflashed to stage one, did you just do the realtime map, or a full flash?

I did realtime at first, then figured it'd be safer to reflash if I didn't get the DP swapped back right away.

Will realtime preserve the data?

Driving around now. :-)

I don't know for sure, but I suspect it would preserve the data.

I did realtime at first, then figured it'd be safer to reflash if I didn't get the DP swapped back right away.

Will realtime preserve the data?

Driving around now. :-)

And there is no chance I won't go back to stage 2 by tomorrow. It feels like a dog at stage 1 and I have a slight exhaust leak from reusing the gaskets.

I asked this over in the tuning forum, but I think it's pretty much been answered here.

So if I go stage 2.5 or Stage 3 (Evo 16 or 18g, 750cc injectors, fuel pump, TMIC, catless DP, cat-back), and JUST slap on a stock downpipe, I should be fine to pass the SMOG sniffer, and I won't blow up my cat (assuming I take it easy)?? I really don't want to deal with reflashing, as I have the fuel pump and injectors to deal with and I don't think they'll play well with a stock tune.

And there is no chance I won't go back to stage 2 by tomorrow. It feels like a dog at stage 1 and I have a slight exhaust leak from reusing the gaskets.

Day late to the party and not sure if I will be of any real help. In my case I am stock and had to flash the ecu due to a CEL. Drove for 165 miles, got re-tested and passed. The miles were put on over a number of days and ignition cycles.

-tim

I eventually decided I didn't want to waste the gas driving around aimlessly and went home. I paid the fees and figured I'd risk driving around with expired tags instead. I just read the "SPECIAL NOTICE" included with the registration that since 5/4/2011 there is now a 30 day grace period on paying the fees as well as law enforcement not citing vehicles until the second month after registration is due. I'll wait until next week and then go for the re-test.

Thanks for the data point.

Day late to the party and not sure if I will be of any real help. In my case I am stock and had to flash the ecu due to a CEL. Drove for 165 miles, got re-tested and passed. The miles were put on over a number of days and ignition cycles.

You can pay your fees before you get your smog certification. The smog certificate is sent directly to the DMV from the smog check location. However, you won't receive your registration until the smog certificate has been received by the DMV.

• 4 weeks later...
Well, it's coming down to the wire. I am totally ignorant of how thorough the inspections are. But now I'm starting to think that they will take one look at my Cobb catted downpipe and know it's not stock. Should I even take the risk? I'm leaning to just running my car to DBTuned, have them swap with my OEM pipe, run it to the smog station near them........then swap it back.

If you reflash you will need to drive about 50 miles or so before you test.

I know that, hence why i mentioned readiness code.

I don't want to drive on the wrong tune: already bought one motor this year.:spin:

Anyone taken in a car with an aftermarket TMIC? They are CARB legal, but if someone's taken a car with one in, I'd love to know where (Sacramento area), to avoid people who don't know that.

Just found this thread.. Passed last November. Car was bought in Jan '05 - go figure, they wanted a smog for the '11 registration.. Then they said I needed one for this year. Turns out they screwed up, I don't, but maybe I didn't need it last year and it should have been this year?? Now I have to go in and clear things up - they can't fix this online for some reason.. Gotta love DMV.. NOT!

I went to a local smog place attached to a 76 station in Fremont.. I think HC was at 60-70% of limit, CO around 10%, or maybe the other way around. I think I wrote up a summary last year, if you really need the details.

Mods:

-gutted stock DP (1st cat)

-STI UP

-DW 650 injectors, Walbro

-BNR 16g turbo

-GST Motorsports stage 2 tune

-stock TMIC

Guy told me that "the young kids with WRXes come here and remove cats and when I fail them, they cry. Your car is stock, and has all cats."

:-)

IIRC, TMIC is not part of emission

you should try just go in with the aftermarket DP and see what they say? Since it's catted, numbers should be well below standard...

Just found this thread.. Passed last November. Car was bought in Jan '05 - go figure, they wanted a smog for the '11 registration.. Then they said I needed one for this year. Turns out they screwed up, I don't, but maybe I didn't need it last year and it should have been this year?? Now I have to go in and clear things up - they can't fix this online for some reason.. Gotta love DMV.. NOT!

I went to a local smog place attached to a 76 station in Fremont.. I think HC was at 60-70% of limit, CO around 10%, or maybe the other way around. I think I wrote up a summary last year, if you really need the details.

Mods:

-gutted stock DP (1st cat)

-STI UP

-DW 650 injectors, Walbro

-BNR 16g turbo

-GST Motorsports stage 2 tune

-stock TMIC

Guy told me that "the young kids with WRXes come here and remove cats and when I fail them, they cry. Your car is stock, and has all cats."

:-)

with that list...it's visually stock...

Archived