LegacyGT.com

NorCal California Emissions and Inspection Thread

GoSix

I went through this with my diesel pickup. i had aftermarket parts that were not regulated by carb but the smog place just saw a aftermarket part and wouldnt smog it. i went to 4 diffent shops til i found someone to smog it and it ended up being the dealership that did the smog. carb is making so many different stupid rules that the smog shops cant keep up so they are scared to smog questionable vehicles.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went through this with my diesel pickup. i had aftermarket parts that were not regulated by carb but the smog place just saw a aftermarket part and wouldnt smog it. i went to 4 diffent shops til i found someone to smog it and it ended up being the dealership that did the smog. carb is making so many different stupid rules that the smog shops cant keep up so they are scared to smog questionable vehicles.

If you have such parts it would be ideal to just be able to cite chapter and verse from the CARB manual. They all have it. They're lazy, but if you have page numbers, they actually might listen.

I couldnt find the info i needed on carbs web site (i dont know about anyone else but i found it to be really confusing) so i had Banks send me all the literature i needed even though the tech at the dealership said he didnt need to see it.

• 5 months later...
Update: I moved to Austin, TX. Here your car can be modded to hell, and you will pass inspection as long as you don't throw a code and your wiper blades work :lol:
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

Update: I moved to Austin, TX. Here your car can be modded to hell, and you will pass inspection as long as you don't throw a code and your wiper blades work :lol:

Yes, but you have to live in Texas.

(You only would have had to move to Sonoma county to lose SMOG test)

Yes, but you have to live in Texas.

(You only would have had to move to Sonoma county to lose SMOG test)

oh...NOW you tell me!

BTW, Texas rocks :D

Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

Thanks! We left NorCal to try something new in Austin...all the tech jobs are coming out here, tons of opportunity! The food and culture here are awesome, too. We had our favorite pubs, breweries, and restaurants in Sac and the Bay Area that we'll surely miss, but we'll find new ones.

Also, I'm a half mile from the local scoobie tuner, MZM Performance; so I'll be getting some stuff done soon! They guy is definitely not the obnoxiously fun Paul from FW Motorsports, but he seems to know his stuff.

ooh...93 octane out here :cool:

Thanks! We left NorCal to try something new in Austin...all the tech jobs are coming out here, tons of opportunity! The food and culture here are awesome, too. We had our favorite pubs, breweries, and restaurants in Sac and the Bay Area that we'll surely miss, but we'll find new ones.

Also, I'm a half mile from the local scoobie tuner, MZM Performance; so I'll be getting some stuff done soon! They guy is definitely not the obnoxiously fun Paul from FW Motorsports, but he seems to know his stuff.

ooh...93 octane out here :cool:

Have fun. I may not be far behind you.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Older thread but just a heads up, I failed visual inspection immediately for HKS BOV set to VTA. The rest of the car was stock no AP no tunes no DP or UP. So yes, California smog laws suck! I passed in previous years but for whatever reason, failed this year. Reinstalled OEM and passed like I knew I should.

Older thread but just a heads up, I failed visual inspection immediately for HKS BOV set to VTA. The rest of the car was stock no AP no tunes no DP or UP. So yes, California smog laws suck! I passed in previous years but for whatever reason, failed this year. Reinstalled OEM and passed like I knew I should.

You just lucked out the previous years. Aftermarket BOV should be an automatic fail.

Why is it that they won't pass smog visual? Is it just because it's aftermarket? What if I had been using the recirculating fitting on the hks ssqv? I guess I should have tried but it was really just cosmetic and a 10 minute uninstall. Plus I didn't want any confrontation with peeps that could fail me just cause they felt like it. How do all these stage 2 + folks get away with bov's? Or is it just CA?

Has anyone tried to pass smog with a FMIC?

According to this - https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/APPENDIX%20G%20final%2012-2009.pdf

an Intercooler (as long as you have the OEM turbocharger) does not need an executive order number.

Curious if anyone has actually tried that.

I've passed with an aftermarket TMIC. I mentioned it ahead of time and my smog guy knew it was fine.

Has anyone tried to pass smog with a FMIC?

According to this - https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/APPENDIX%20G%20final%2012-2009.pdf

an Intercooler (as long as you have the OEM turbocharger) does not need an executive order number.

Curious if anyone has actually tried that.

Yes, I passed last year with a FMIC. I had to go to about 7 different shops and ask them before i payed. the first shop said they would but later found some other things so they wouldnt test the car, but they were nice enough to print me out a copy of the page that says intercoolers are ok. I just went from shop to shop after that until one would not be afraid to do it.

Yes, I passed last year with a FMIC. I had to go to about 7 different shops and ask them before i payed. the first shop said they would but later found some other things so they wouldnt test the car, but they were nice enough to print me out a copy of the page that says intercoolers are ok. I just went from shop to shop after that until one would not be afraid to do it.

Good to know that it is possible. Thanks.

What were the other things that they found?

Archived