LegacyGT.com

NorCal California Emissions and Inspection Thread

GoSix

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
intercooler are not related to emission

That's iffy.

I've heard that repeated, but reading through the CARB rules that isn't made that clear. If someone's got a cite, I'd love to see it.

That said, they don't check them

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/ftp/pdfdocs/Smog_Check_Guide.pdf

So basically, it isn't legal, but they won't check it. Interesting.

Similarly, AO seps are fine.

• 1 month later...
Just passed my smog test. Way below max. I have an AVO TMIC, AVO uppipe, BNR 16G, and Infamous tuned. I got nervous over the uppipe, but after looking at the pipe, I wasn't too concern. The leak in the radiator overflow tube spewed coolant all over that pipe. It was no longer polished stainless. It looked like the any other OEM exhaust pipe.

Just passed my smog test. Way below max. I have an AVO TMIC, AVO uppipe, BNR 16G, and Infamous tuned. I got nervous over the uppipe, but after looking at the pipe, I wasn't too concern. The leak in the radiator overflow tube spewed coolant all over that pipe. It was no longer polished stainless. It looked like the any other OEM exhaust pipe.

No downpipe?

Just passed my smog check this morning. Running a Cobb Stage 1 map w/ a Bosal catless uppipe and stock downpipe (2 cats). Emission test results:

HC idle: Max. 100, Avg. 17, Measured 2

HC 2,500 rpm: Max. 130, Avg. 12, Measured 5

CO% idle: Max. 1.00, Avg. 0.00, Measured 0.05

CO% 2,500 rpm: Max 1.00, Avg. 0.10, Measured 0.00

The only thing I was above average on was idle CO%, but I was still well below the max allowed.

Wow, great news! Now it just sounds like I might have to worry about my Cobb catted downpipe. I do have my OEM pipe if I fail, but I really don't want to shell out the cash to double swap just for a smog.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

Wow, great news! Now it just sounds like I might have to worry about my Cobb catted downpipe. I do have my OEM pipe if I fail, but I really don't want to shell out the cash to double swap just for a smog.

I didn't want to take a chance on the potential fail w/ my Cobb catted DP, so I swapped the stock DP back on for the test. My stock TMIC is leaking, so my plan is to replace it w/ an AVO TMIC and, when I do that, re-install the Cobb DP and flash back to Stage 2. :cool:

I didn't want to take a chance on the potential fail w/ my Cobb catted DP, so I swapped the stock DP back on for the test. My stock TMIC is leaking, so my plan is to replace it w/ an AVO TMIC and, when I do that, re-install the Cobb DP and flash back to Stage 2. :cool:

What was the time and/or cost of double swapping? I'm lazy. I'll probably take it in with the pipe. If it fails, then I'll double swap.

Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

What was the time and/or cost of double swapping? I'm lazy. I'll probably take it in with the pipe. If it fails, then I'll double swap.

I'll be swapping the DP back by myself when I replace my TMIC. My car was already in for the 105K major service at Joe's Alfas-Subaru, so I had them swap the DP since they were already doing like $900+ worth of work. They charged 1 hour labor for the DP swap.

Assuming an hour labor for each swap @ around $90/hr (depending on the shop), so $180 labor for both swaps. Plus, you'll likely need to replace the DP to turbo gasket and the DP to midpipe gasket, another $40 or so for both of those:

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/subaru-turbo-to-downpipe-gasket.html

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/subaru-downpipe-to-intermediate-pipe-gasket.html

I really wish that aftermarket downpipes looked as shitty as the stocker.

I don't want some shiny stainless thing that looks nice. I want cheapass potmetal with a subaru stamp but nice stuff inside.

I have an invidia and there's no way that will pass the visual.

I don't want some shiny stainless thing that looks nice. I want cheapass potmetal with a subaru stamp but nice stuff inside.

I have an invidia and there's no way that will pass the visual.

Nah, my Cobb DP looks just as shitty as the rest of the pipes in my car, but it's been on there 3-4 years I think. I'm hoping the little lump for the one cat will be enough. But I don't know how inspections work.

Nah, my Cobb DP looks just as shitty as the rest of the pipes in my car, but it's been on there 3-4 years I think. I'm hoping the little lump for the one cat will be enough. But I don't know how inspections work.

Well, clearly the invida is too well built. Admittedly it only as 2 years, but it still looks perfect. Crap it is shinier than the exterior.

Amen to that. That's one of the reasons I went w/ the Bosal UP because it looks OEM w/ heat shielding that looks stock. Bosal is an OEM for the STI catless UPs and for the SPT catback system. There's no way my Cobb DP would have passed a visual. That thing is way too shiny!

Amen to that. That's one of the reasons I went w/ the Bosal UP because it looks OEM w/ heat shielding that looks stock. Bosal is an OEM for the STI catless UPs and for the SPT catback system. There's no way my Cobb DP would have passed a visual. That thing is way too shiny!

I'll have Paul at DBTuned have a look and give me his opinion at my next oil change.

I'm still hoping we get a few posts on this thread like "Hey, I got mine smogged with aftermarket downpipe, yay!". I still have a few months to decide.

Oh, one more thing. I'm hoping the fact that my car looks completely stock on the interior/exterior might help, too. :confused:

That's why I have STI UP.

My AVO uppipe looked like crap from all the coolant that got sprayed on it. Heck my entire right side of the engine look like crap between the coolant and the CV boot failing.

My passenger inner CV boot seemed to spray everywhere but the DP

Got the unEpic FAIL yesterday from the smog boys. Coming back from LA this weekend I had thrown a CEL, P2006 et al. After checking the TGV connectors I flashed the computer to remove the codes. Turns out the state frowns on that and you have to "cycle" the computer a few times before you can pass the test. The MAN knows if you are trying to sneak one past them.

Live and learn. At least I get one free retest. All the other numbers were fine as my engine is unmodded.

Got the unEpic FAIL yesterday from the smog boys. Coming back from LA this weekend I had thrown a CEL, P2006 et al. After checking the TGV connectors I flashed the computer to remove the codes. Turns out the state frowns on that and you have to "cycle" the computer a few times before you can pass the test. The MAN knows if you are trying to sneak one past them.

That's precisely why I delayed my smog check so that I could put 700 miles on my car after I reflashed it to Stage 1.

Any idea on how long I need to run the car? I usually ride my motorcycle so the wagon is garaged most of the time. 30 days for my free retest and it would suck to go in there and get denied a second time. I tried searching but to no avail.

-tim

Archived