LegacyGT.com

NorCal California Emissions and Inspection Thread

GoSix

Smog check with catted DP stage 2 tune; HC level at idle = 148 FAILED!

Smog check with stock DP stage 2 tune; HC level at idle = 17 PASS!

Hope this helps some peeps when it comes time to smog and they are running stage 2.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope this helps some peeps when it comes time to smog and they are running stage 2.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

Good info, thanks.

Wouldnt running a stage 2 tune with stock DP be a bad idea?

If you have an Accessport, why not just use the "behave like stock" map for the check? Or would that do more harm than good?
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

Wouldnt running a stage 2 tune with stock DP be a bad idea?

This should be just fine. I passed with my stage 3 setup with a gutted upper cat and only one single cat in the middle.

You should have no problems

Hmm..If I get inspired, I'll updated my original post with a summary of what people have posted here. Only if... :)

Cat-less UP shouldn't matter if the car is warmed up. The purpose of the cat in the UP is to reduce emissions when the car is cold. 07-09 have a catless UP and use a blower fan to accomplish the same thing.

I can't see how a gutted stock DP could possibly pass emissions. You'll pass the visual but fail the HC emissions, you'll need a least some form of working cat to have a hope of passing.

• 2 weeks later...
Cat-less UP shouldn't matter if the car is warmed up. The purpose of the cat in the UP is to reduce emissions when the car is cold. 07-09 have a catless UP and use a blower fan to accomplish the same thing.

I can't see how a gutted stock DP could possibly pass emissions. You'll pass the visual but fail the HC emissions, you'll need a least some form of working cat to have a hope of passing.

There are 3 cats so if you didnt gut the mid-pipe you could pass...

• 2 weeks later...
Not to derail, but I really want to drop a VF52 and headers into my scoobie. :) Someday...someday.

The EVO 16G/TD05H is a hybrid and I wouldn't say it's a lot bigger. From what I've read and seen on dyno's people have posted it spools close to what the vf52 is capable of and holds up well up top too. I can't stand lag even with the vf40/46, but I am considering it if my turbo ever goes. It's $300 less than a vf52, the CHRA is rebuildable, and said to be more reliable.

This is a EVO 16G/TD05H dyno and supposedly conservative.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2937721&postcount=1981

Archived