LegacyGT.com

NorCal California Emissions and Inspection Thread

GoSix

With my mods (see sig), I'm at 270 lb-ft and 230whp with stock turbo. I just want to get the numbers above 300. But right now I'm just considering it a "nice to have", and not something to shell out the cash for just yet.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought the exemption was for six model years, not calendar years, so we should be good until 2011.

I was correct. It's six model years exemption, not calendar years. I received my renewal notice on my car, which was first registered in Sept. 2004, and there was no smog requirement. Thus, if you have a 2005 model year LGT that was first registered in 2004, you won't need a smog until your renewal in 2011. The six year exemption is based on model years, not calendar years. It's in the statute.

i just smogged my car a few weeks ago, because i bought mine from out of state

im guessing i'll be getting another notice for smog next year...sigh

05 LGT, first registered in mid 04 in NV

Smog checks are biennial in CA counties that are subject to that requirement. (Some rural CA counties are only subject to smog upon change of ownership.) Since you had to smog in 2010 because your car came in from out of state, you shouldn't be required to smog again until 2012.

• 1 month later...
I was correct. It's six model years exemption, not calendar years. I received my renewal notice on my car, which was first registered in Sept. 2004, and there was no smog requirement. Thus, if you have a 2005 model year LGT that was first registered in 2004, you won't need a smog until your renewal in 2011. The six year exemption is based on model years, not calendar years. It's in the statute.

Yes, you are definitely correct. My purchased-in-October '04 LGT doesn't need a smog this year either. Guess you get an additional "pass" if you buy a new car that is "next year's model"

-- Steve

• 5 months later...

OK, finally had to smog my 05. I was not looking forward to this, as my time is tight with work and this would have been 6+ hours of work to change things out to a passable state if I failed. Mod list: Perrin TMIC, HKS SSQV BOV set to recirculate, equal length headers black ceramic coated, Crucial Shorty DP black ceramic coated, Crucial Mid-Pipe with Metallic Substrate Cat, Fujitsubo exhaust, Cobb Stg. II off the shelf map.

Obviously, I should have failed based on the visual inspection alone. I took it to the Smog place behind the Arco around the corner from me. My roommate had taken his Mazda (stock) there with a intermittent CEL, which the guy tried the old reset and test game with, so I figured he might be more interested in his time and money than failing people.

I passed! Couldn't believe it. Though, I came with 7% of failing, 93/100 on the sniffer test. Car is running a bit rich too. YMMV.

• 2 months later...
Had my girlfriend's Honda in for tires a few weeks ago. While talking with the tech, I asked about their SMOG services. He said that new emmision laws were in the works. SMOG tests would now be performed by a new type SMOG test computer that would be connected to a vehicle's OBDII port during testing. Are the CARB nazi's looking to fail those with APs or modded ECU's. Has anyone else heard rumour of this?

Had my girlfriend's Honda in for tires a few weeks ago. While talking with the tech, I asked about their SMOG services. He said that new emmision laws were in the works. SMOG tests would now be performed by a new type SMOG test computer that would be connected to a vehicle's OBDII port during testing. Are the CARB nazi's looking to fail those with APs or modded ECU's. Has anyone else heard rumour of this?

Where are you located? Isn't that already being done in Smog Check II counties? I believe the OBDII can only tell if an ECU has been flashed recently or the battery's been disconnected. I know this because, several years ago, I failed in my 1998 Nissan Frontier because I had changed the battery out the week of the smog test and didn't drive it enough to allow the ECU to fully recover. :(

Nor Cal.. San Mateo county. The truth is, I haven't had a car smogged in years, so I have no idea what is involved (in practice) now. I only asked him because we started taking about tuning. I had my Jetta smogged in 07, right before I picked up my leggy. They didn't connect to the OBDII port. I'm sure of that.

Regarding your failure - My understanding is that you only need to drive the car long enough for the readiness values to populate. An hour or less of driving would take care of this, yes? Certainly however, several days of normal driving would yield the best possible ECU performance, gas mileage, etc.

• 1 month later...
Anybody have a problem trying to maintain 2500RPM while getting their smog check? I took my car in yesterday, its a 05, and the tech could not get it to hold 2500RPM. I even tried it while he ran the test. After about 2300RPM the turbo would spool and over shoot. No mods on the car, just a K&N panel filter.

why? as posted earlier car was technically legal when they got it. scotty's wouldnt risk their rep for someone they dont know.

as i said: swapped out equal lengths and UP for a stock STI UP and headers while Paul changed my oil. threw on the DP and drop the 100yd to scotty's.

then swapped it all back 10 min later

"i like my women the way i like terrorists...

...screaming gods name and ready to explode."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5479/troy3nu5.jpg

why? as posted earlier car was technically legal when they got it. scotty's wouldnt risk their rep for someone they dont know.

as i said: swapped out equal lengths and UP for a stock STI UP and headers while Paul changed my oil. threw on the DP and drop the 100yd to scotty's.

then swapped it all back 10 min later

Damn, swapped out the up?? I'm going to gamble on them not seeing my Cobb UP when I go :icon_frow

Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

Yes, it would be wise to minimize your aftermarket blings (uppipe most specially)...The uppipe is the very first visual inspection they look at,...Anything other than stock looking is a visual failure...The risk is there...They know how to fail a modded car.

I pass because I have the stock uppipe... From there, thats all they visualize.... Living in East of Eden county , our smog inspection stations are very strict ...

Yes, it would be wise to minimize your aftermarket blings (uppipe most specially)...The uppipe is the very first visual inspection they look at,...Anything other than stock looking is a visual failure...The risk is there...They know how to fail a modded car.

I pass because I have the stock uppipe... From there, thats all they visualize.... Living in East of Eden county , our smog inspection stations are very strict ...

I have an STI up. I'm planning to swap the DP back to OEM.

Not sure what to do with the IC as my stock one blew up.

I should just register in Northern Sonoma county.

Archived