LegacyGT.com

Clutchless shift??

redstriker

Yes, but not recommended AT ALL.

You basically do the job of the synchros, you have to match exactly the engine (flywheel) RPMs with the gear-dependent transmission speed (clutch). If you dont, *CRUNCH*GRIND*SNAP*POP*. Very little margin of error.

Do yourself and the transmission a favor, use the clutch.

Driving without the clutch is not necessarily difficult to do as much as it is dangerous. You can definately eat up your trans by doing so. However if you must shift without the clutch the best tip is to be gentle when pushing the shifter into gear so that it slides in when the rpm matches, rather than trying to push it in which results in grinding. I don't recommend attempting this unless you have been trained how to do so.

Up shifting is easy. Downshifting is difficult. Rev-matching is a must. I used to do it all the time. But been years now. Out of practice Don't want to destroy a tranny trying anymore. I have no need.

My dad taught me when I was a kid.

Motorcycles can do it all day long. Don't even need a clutch from a dead stop. Neutral, rev it out to the limiter drop it into second and GO! Works best on a 2 stroke, but 4 strokes can do it too. Always good for a hole shot. Clutches are to stop from stalling and keep the motor on the pipe for bikes.

m sprank hit the nail on the head. The upshifts are very easy compared to the downshifts. I also do not recommend this but I learned how to do it when I was 17 on my 4 speed in my Chevelle. Then it came in handy when I needed a clutch in my Ranger. If you do want to attemp to teach yourself the major thing is to be gentle with the shifter. You will feel the trans free up when you apply a minimal amount of pressure to the shifter. DO NOT FORCE THE SHIFTER. It is easier to do on slower revs. But like I said I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS.

Up shifting is easy. Downshifting is difficult. Rev-matching is a must. I used to do it all the time. But been years now. Out of practice Don't want to destroy a tranny trying anymore. I have no need.

Motorcycles can do it all day long.

In my 86 Toyota 4x4 5spd I rarely use the clutch upshifting after 1-2 and never from 4 to 5. Those synchros are way strong and the gears are way loose :lol: It is not even hard. Anyone wanting to learn this should learn on an old 22R Toyota rwd powertrain. It is much, much, much more difficult in the LGT to do.

On the BMW R1200RT the hydraulics make it so you can upshift very, very smoothly without clutch. Downshift under power is too easy and can be done accidentally if too excited :lol:

A Toyota 22R is an excllent choice to learn a clutchless shift. I oput over 280k mles on mine before the wifey finally totaled it. Only needed the clutch to start it (I never replaced the starter, lol) and dead starts. Damn thing was bullet proof. My buddy even turbo'd his with a Greddy kit. No lies a turbo 22R Toyota pick up 4x2.

A Toyota 22R is an excllent choice to learn a clutchless shift. I oput over 280k mles on mine before the wifey finally totaled it. Only needed the clutch to start it (I never replaced the starter, lol) and dead starts. Damn thing was bullet proof. My buddy even turbo'd his with a Greddy kit. No lies a turbo 22R Toyota pick up 4x2.

I have the oldschool 22R with carbs for injection;). I would use this vehicle to teach people with two left feet to drive stick... 'Course if I drop the clutch at WOT I may get a 60' of 3 seconds:lol:. I replaced my OEM clutch at like 150k miles.

m sprank hit the nail on the head. The upshifts are very easy compared to the downshifts. I also do not recommend this but I learned how to do it when I was 17 on my 4 speed in my Chevelle. Then it came in handy when I needed a clutch in my Ranger. If you do want to attemp to teach yourself the major thing is to be gentle with the shifter. You will feel the trans free up when you apply a minimal amount of pressure to the shifter. DO NOT FORCE THE SHIFTER. It is easier to do on slower revs. But like I said I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS.

I disagree 100%. If rev matching on downshifts (with the clutch) is second nature (as it should be), downshifting without the clutch is really no different. The problem with upshifting without the clutch is that you have to wait for the revs to drop before you engage the higher gear.

Clutchless shifting is always easier with an engine built for torque such as the 22r or a truck with a v8 the rpm range is fairly small and the engine isn't as rev happy so it will keep a given rpm longer than the subie will, allowing those gear changes.

I used to do that in my dodge ram a lot because the clutch was so stinking hard to push. In my old 5spd sunfire it was a pain trying to match revs, the engine moves so quickly it was hard to be dead on the right rpm, before losing too much speed anyway.

I am with the masses on this one don't do it unless you enjoy ruining a perfectly good tranny. Or if you really don't like your transmission send it my way I will even pay freight. :) And seriously what else is your left foot going to do down there?

If you want to try a clutch-less shift (at least out of gear) just *lightly* pull back on your shifter after lifting your foot from the accelerator when you've revved the engine in 3rd gear to 4-5K RPM. As the RPMs go back down it should easily slip out of gear at some point. There you go, you shifted out of gear w/o a clutch and shouldn't have hurt your tranny too much.

Oh, if you call that "clutchless" I don't use a clutch to go into neutral, no matter what vehicle it is. Never have, never will. I also don't downshift to slow down for stops (usually). My old man beat into me that he would rather change brakes than clutches. So, I shift from gear into neutral "clutchless" a lot.

I disagree 100%. If rev matching on downshifts (with the clutch) is second nature (as it should be), downshifting without the clutch is really no different. The problem with upshifting without the clutch is that you have to wait for the revs to drop before you engage the higher gear.

I drive WAY to hard for clutchless downshifts. I run lots of clutch in turns, tend to heel toe a lot. I raced quads pro on the ATVA circuit. I'm used to burning through a clutch every 20 laps. I keep the engine revving in the power band and use the clutch to deliver the power as needed. No clutchless downshift for me. Not unless I am cruising and like I said, I don't downshift much while cruising. I slow down in the highest gear and slip into neutral just before the engine lugs. My shifts are smooth, and downshifting is "second nature". Its not my engagement of the clutch, its the way I use it.

So that is what that pedal was on the left...Well anyways I removed cause it was in the way of my left foot. Good to know others validated my finding. Now, let's talk about left foot braking...I do it all the time.

Dude (OP), if you have a 3rd pedal use it. Car ain't DSG or automatic; clutch pedal it is there for a reason. Good thing you asked but I have this feeling you tried already.

Archived