LegacyGT.com

Clutchless shift??

redstriker

Its actually pretty easy both up and down shifts clutchless. The up shift is around 2k for the RPM. The downshifts, just rev the engine up to over 4k and then when its coming back down gently push towards the lower gear you want. It will glide in when the RPM of the engine matches the gears. I do this when I'm feeling lazy.

The RPM for the upshift all depends on how fast you are going, I had to go verify after I posted this morning. General rule that I found is that when you upshift (eg. going from 2nd to 3rd gear) the next gear will be about 1000 - 1500 RPM lower than the previous one. So if I come out of 2nd @ 4000 RPM, 3rd gear will side in around 3000-2500 RPM. I also find it easiest to get it out of gear just as your foot is coming up off the gas pedal.

Downshifts can generally use the same 1000-1500 value and just add that to the current RPM you are at and downshift to the next gear.

Clutchless is not going to produce speedy shifts, you have to be patient and wait until the RPM falls the 1000-1500 counts for the next gear to go in. My dad taught me this along time ago. He used to drive 18 wheelers and they have to match the RPMs for every shift since they don't have syncros in the transmissions. The clutch is only really there to get out of 1st gear from a dead stop.

• 3 weeks later...

LOL!!

Okay, I cracked up when I read this post. I learned to drive clutchless (and batteryless) in my first car -- a 69 VW Bug. I couldn't afford a new battery -- much less a clutch -- and learned to park it on a hill and start it in first gear. It was totaled by my brother after a few months.

This Outback is the first manual I've had in 18 years and, more often than not, I find myself back at my old habits. My friends just stare at me and a few have yelled.

Thanks for a great subject!

Archived