LegacyGT.com

Cabin air filter installation without pulling half the dash out (in about 15 minutes)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The service bulletin says there is only a total of 213 vehicles affected nationally. If your sedan's VIN ends between 0110 and 0228, or your wagon's VIN ends between 0153 and 7361, then the vehicle may be covered by Subaru for a no cost retrofit.

Basically, if your car didn't have the air filtration option installed at time of delivery, then it doesn't qualify because you didn't purchase the air filtration option. Apparently Subaru built a few vehicles with the air filter option installed before they realized that it would be very difficult to replace it. They stopped offering that option for a period of time until the redesign went into production.

Check Jedi's TSB post in warranty - it's all there large as life and twice as loud - & @ no charge... (God I love this board!!!)

I made it a sticky.....should be easy to find

The service bulletin says there is only a total of 213 vehicles affected nationally. If your sedan's VIN ends between 0110 and 0228, or your wagon's VIN ends between 0153 and 7361, then the vehicle may be covered by Subaru for a no cost retrofit.

Basically, if your car didn't have the air filtration option installed at time of delivery, then it doesn't qualify because you didn't purchase the air filtration option. Apparently Subaru built a few vehicles with the air filter option installed before they realized that it would be very difficult to replace it. They stopped offering that option for a period of time until the redesign went into production.

Honestly, by my VIN I should have had the retro-kit already installed but it doesn't look like I do - buy your Service Manager a cup of coffee. ;)

FYI I think this retrofit is covered FREE, because it is now a TSB.

It's only free if it is one of the 200 or so vehicle's listed in the TSB. It won't be free if the car was not purchased with air filtration from the factory.

So, did Subaru continue to use the original glove box unit even after the affected VIN numbers above? If we have the original glove box and order the air filtration option now, do we need to pay for parts and labor of installing the redesigned glove box?

I think it would only be reasonable for one to pay the original price for the air filtration option (ie. filter + installation labor) and not for the full price of the new glove box and associated labor.

Ken

So, did Subaru continue to use the original glove box unit even after the affected VIN numbers above? If we have the original glove box and order the air filtration option now, do we need to pay for parts and labor of installing the redesigned glove box?

I think it would only be reasonable for one to pay the original price for the air filtration option (ie. filter + installation labor) and not for the full price of the new glove box and associated labor.

Ken

You can try, but I wouldn't expect Subaru to retrofit all previously manufactured vehicles to incorporate running production changes that are just improvements. This is not a defect or a safety issue. When you signed the papers you agreed to purchase the car as it was equipped. It is only reasonable to expect you to pay for any costs involved in obtaining an upgrade you desire.

I just got off the phone with SOA, but they wouldn't budge on covering this under warranty. Maybe if enough of us call and complain, they'll change their mind. I'd be willing to have the kit installed without the filter element as part of warranty. Then if I wanted the filter, I could be changed seperately. That would be fair since all Legacys have the air filter setup, just without the filter. The glove box is defective, not the air filter system itself.

What if you "broke" your glove box? If you had it replaced under warranty would they use the new design?

How would you explain breaking the glove box under normal usage?

This might work: "I had to open it so many times to refer to the Owner's Manual trying to figure out the fricken Auto Climate Cotrol, that it just plain wore out!"

You can try, but I wouldn't expect Subaru to retrofit all previously manufactured vehicles to incorporate running production changes that are just improvements. This is not a defect or a safety issue. When you signed the papers you agreed to purchase the car as it was equipped. It is only reasonable to expect you to pay for any costs involved in obtaining an upgrade you desire.

Yes, I do agree with what you're saying but in this case some of us couldn't order the air filtration kit at the time of order because we were told it was not available. In this case it would seem logical if Subaru extended the offer for all vehicles that went out with the old glovebox design: Buy a cabin filter option at the regular price and get the new glovebox installed for free.

To pose the question another way, would a dealer still continue to replace cabin filters in the old style glovebox or force you to upgrade to the new style?

Ken

If Subaru makes any kind of offer I'd surely take advantage of it, but when I heard about the retrofit kit I didn't think Subaru owed it to me for free or for any kind of discount. I too tried to get that option when I ordered, but couldn't get it.

I can get it now, as a retrofit kit, and it is of enough value to me that I am willing to pay the cost to have it.

The dealer will still continue to replace cabin filters in the old style glovebox. They may charge you 3 hours labor, but they will do it if you want them to.

I went by my local "parts dealer of choice" because he said that they would have some of the retrofit kits in today's stock order. He brought one to the counter, and we opened it up. The "retrofit" part was a standard glovebox with a VERY crudely cut hole hacked in it, and a piece of insulated cloth covering the hole. I realize that the hole isn't visible until you drop the glovebox down out of its guides, but it was still a crude, tacky, piece of crap. I have seen better workmanship from third grade art class :mad: . I have been waiting since October for this?

Sorry, S.O.A., I don't fall for this lame-ass excuse for a cabin filter kit either.

Steve

eehhh.. pics?

Sorry, no pic because I didn't buy it :)

I am going to ask a work buddy to look at his this weekend, if his wife will let him near it. It is a late build, and should have the factory-installed access panel, curtain, whatever you want to call it.

Steve

I went by my local "parts dealer of choice" because he said that they would have some of the retrofit kits in today's stock order. He brought one to the counter, and we opened it up. The "retrofit" part was a standard glovebox with a VERY crudely cut hole hacked in it, and a piece of insulated cloth covering the hole. I realize that the hole isn't visible until you drop the glovebox down out of its guides, but it was still a crude, tacky, piece of crap. I have seen better workmanship from third grade art class :mad: . I have been waiting since October for this?

Sorry, S.O.A., I don't fall for this lame-ass excuse for a cabin filter kit either.

Steve

I recieved my kit in the mail yesterday and the access hole for the filter looked just fine. The hole was cut nicely and the filter and filter tray appear to manufactured quite nicely. Your description doesn't really match the parts that came in my kit. There are 3 parts to the kit. 1. Filter tray, 2. Filter, 3. Glovebox rear panel. The glovebox rear panel has some cloth attached to it (similar to the one already on the car) to possibly eliminate any rattle. Then there is a hole (about 1.5 inches by 8 inches) in the panel to allow the install and removal of the filter tray. No complaints here.

I do have to say the filter looks a little thin, but if it does the job just fine, I will be happy. Hopefully I will get to install it this weekend. I hope to get some pics up here when I get around to installing it.

I received my retrofit kit earlier this week and installed it a couple days ago. The hole on the back of the retrofitted glovebox was also VERY crudely cut, with jagged shavings all around the edges. The cuts were not straight, nor were the edges of the "rectangle" cut parallel. I was very shocked, to say the least, that this isan official Subaru part (order mine from subarupartsforyou.com). I ended up Dremeling the edges myself.

The interesting thing is that, looking at the original glovebox I replaced (the one the came on my car, build date 11/04), there was already a line scratched into the back, as if they were preparing to start the cut. The screw holes were also crudely drawn circles indicating the location. Yes, it's as if all the lines were etched freehand, without even using a straightedge.

I'm suspecting that the quality of the retrofit kit highly depends upon the worker.

I would advise looking to see if you actually need the retrofit kit. According to my VIN number, I should need the retrofit kit. But I actually don't need it.

I ended up purchasing the kit before actually looking to see if the kit had already been installed. I ended up pulling apart the dash to perform the install and the back panel had already been installed and was the same as the one that came in the retrofit kit. :mad:

So, check before you purchase, install!!!

Since I didn't need the retrofit kit (I just needed the filter), I have the filter tray and glove box back panel for sale ($30 for both). If you want to purchase these 2 items, please PM me.

-S

I would advise looking to see if you actually need the retrofit kit. According to my VIN number, I should need the retrofit kit. But I actually don't need it.

-S

I'm in the other boat where my VIN indicates that I should have the reto-kit in (in fact, it was the parts manager at the dealership that pointed that out to me) but I don't... I pull the driver side side cover, detach the leash, take the guide blocks out of the guide rails, and nada... :mad:

I'm in the other boat where my VIN indicates that I should have the reto-kit in (in fact, it was the parts manager at the dealership that pointed that out to me) but I don't... I pull the driver side side cover, detach the leash, take the guide blocks out of the guide rails, and nada... :mad:

Bummer. It really pays to look and verify if you have the correct access panel or not (regardless of the VIN number). I am selling mine so PM if you are intested. Doesn't have the pollen filter though - I used that. Ends up being a little cheaper by buying my parts and another filter. ($30 + 35 = $65. Retrokit = $85)

-S

This morning we confirmed:

1. That based on all our understandings that my VIN indicates that I am supposed to have it installed
  2. That I obviously have the tray/filter drawer
  3. That I obviously don't have a access enabled back panel

My car is going in on Friday. (Got 10k+ on switching to synth...)

The plan is for them to look and see the what recent deliveries are being shipped with, and the agreement is that I won't be paying for anything that I don't have that I should have.

This morning we confirmed:

1. That based on all our understandings that my VIN indicates that I am supposed to have it installed
  2. That I obviously have the tray/filter drawer
  3. That I obviously don't have a access enabled back panel

My car is going in on Friday. (Got 10k+ on switching to synth...)

The plan is for them to look and see the what recent deliveries are being shipped with, and the agreement is that I won't be paying for anything that I don't have that I should have.

good for you man. your getting what u deserve.

Archived