LegacyGT.com

Cabin air filter installation without pulling half the dash out (in about 15 minutes)

I can't orient to this photo. I just had the retrofit installed. With the glove box fully open, there are three screws to the right of center on the back upper panel of the box - no plate though. It looks as though the screws go up into the cubby hole for the manual. Does the bottom of the cubby hole slide out then?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, $65 labor and $45 for the actual little POS filter element later I'm good to go, more or less (the less being $110, gramdma was right - there ain't no 'free' - but then I'm figuring that's one time expense) and I only had to snap the passenger side AC duct back into place when they were done... attention to detail like that worries me some...

red beast - sweet pic, the fabrication was a little bit better on mine

richardg1952 - yes the manual cubby slides out, the plate is on the outside (?) of the box

dhawk - it's down in warranty

Does anyone have a pic of the retrofit kit installed. I saw the other pic but i can't quite make it out. I just had the kit installed (so they say) but everything looks the same as it did before. I think they hosed me and just put in the filter. Just looking for backup when I call them back and complain. The new filter kit should let you replace the filter in a few minutes right? Thanks.

Does anyone have a pic of the retrofit kit installed. I saw the other pic but i can't quite make it out. I just had the kit installed (so they say) but everything looks the same as it did before. I think they hosed me and just put in the filter. Just looking for backup when I call them back and complain. The new filter kit should let you replace the filter in a few minutes right? Thanks.

Open your glove box and look behind the glove box and see if you have a hole covered with a grey fabric. This hole will be in the plastic behind the actual glovebox itself. There should also be a sticker stating the date/mileage of when the filter was installed. The retrokit also has a sticker with a warning starting that the cabin filter must be changed to not effect air flow, etc. They should have attached both those stickers.

I would say a filter change would take 15 minutes to do if you have never done it before. Pull off side plastic panel, disconnect the black wire, remove 2 clips inside the glovebox and you have access to the hole and the filter tray. Still not the best way of accessing it, but it does work I guess.

Ask the dealer how YOU can replace the filter yourself. It is straight forward and just about anyone can do it once you are shown.

-S

Not to be a pain, but is the hole IN the glovebox plastic or BEHIND the glove box plastic itself? I can see through to where the filter is, but does the whole glove box STILL need to be pulled out even with the kit?

Update: Dealer called back and said they did accidently install the wrong part, and they will take care of it along with a new filter next time it's due. Very pleased with the customer service anyway. Thanks folks!

I got the glove pocket and filter carrier in today, and to best summarize what it is I would have to say it's the biggest piece of shit I've ever seen. I mean you couldn't have "hack" any "made in america" any clearer on this thing.

I'm not going to show you all the details because it's allready got me pretty pissed off and I just don't want to think about it anymore, but there's just more HACK in other places that I just don't have the energy to go take some more pictures of. The filter carrier looks exactly the same, I'll let you know when I change my old filter.

Pic 1: Nice workmanship, think you could not scratch the crap out of everything next time? Also, nice frickin screws.. UCK. The backside of what it's attached to is SURE to rattle like crazy.

Pic 2: WTF is that? stupid cloth covering the back of the glove box. Oh, and you think you can put down the crack pipe and cut a STRAIGHT line?

Pic 3: Back of Pic 2.. UGH

Pic 4: Yeah, I'm going to enjoy losing all my glove box contents through the back. Thanks SOA.

Why does everything that SOA touches turn to crap? I mean I could have fabbed up a better door out of the cutout with a dremel than these jokers did. Maybe the guy who designed this also made our clutch and ECU programming.

I'd rather just spend the extra few minutes and take apart that side of the dash than install this THING into my car. I spent $68 on what? I'm about to the breaking point of SOA..

IMG_0871s.jpg.e1a4cfb31df8ce19e2a810c6ffe40126.jpg

IMG_0873s.jpg.0a2338161fc289dde80de234660019f8.jpg

IMG_0876s.jpg.90f25c8d20d19588f2b0ad4cb2265c89.jpg

IMG_0878s.jpg.33d2cfa54e9c72952ea9493db6ebbeb7.jpg

I got the glove pocket and filter carrier in today, and to best summarize what it is I would have to say it's the biggest piece of shit I've ever seen. I mean you couldn't have "hack" any "made in america" and clearer on this thing.

I'm not going to show you all the details because it's allready got me pretty pissed off and I just don't want to think about it anymore, but there's just more HACK in other places that I just don't have the energy to go take some more pictures of. The filter carrier looks exactly the same, I'll let you know when I change my old filter.

Pic 1: Nice workmanship, think you could not scratch the crap out of everything next time? Also, nice frickin screws.. UCK. The backside of what it's attached to is SURE to rattle like crazy.

Pic 2: WTF is that? stupid cloth covering the back of the glove box. Oh, and you think you can put down the crack pipe and cut a STRAIGHT line?

Pic 4: Yeah, I'm going to enjoy losing all my glove box contents through the back. Thanks SOA.

Why does everything that SOA touches turn to crap? I mean I could have fabbed up a better door out of the cutout with a dremel than these jokers did. Maybe the guy who designed this also made our clutch and ECU programming.

I'd rather just spend the extra few minutes and take apart that side of the dash than install this THING into my car. I spent $68 on what? I'm about to the breaking point of SOA..

You will get absolutely no argument from me there...

I got the glove pocket and filter carrier in today, and to best summarize what it is I would have to say it's the biggest piece of shit I've ever seen. I mean you couldn't have "hack" any "made in america" and clearer on this thing.

Somebody tell me that's the dealer's idea of the retro kit because they were to lazy to order the right one and did NOT use the one SOA is offering as a fix... That's horrible!

Somebody tell me that's the dealer's idea of the retro kit because they were to lazy to order the right one and did NOT use the one SOA is offering as a fix... That's horrible!

Sorry, that is pretty much what my dealer laid on the parts counter (see my earlier post in the thread).

SOA is probably counting on Joe and Jane Customer never seeing the crappy cutout if they pay someone else to change the filter.

Steve

Sorry, that is pretty much what my dealer laid on the parts counter (see my earlier post in the thread).

SOA is probably counting on Joe and Jane Customer never seeing the crappy cutout if they pay someone else to change the filter.

Steve

Makes you wonder what other corners were cut (unevenly ;) ) where they think nobody will see it, and how this example of fine engineering escaped the delete button or paper shredder and actually made it to the outside world.

A junior high shop class teacher would probably give it a "C", at best.

My comment is not meant to hijack the current issue...however; I keep asking myself a similar question regarding the screwball ACC system. How did the present ACC functionality make it past the freshman engineers and into production? Go figure.

Disclaimer: Subaru's are great cars, yada, yada, yada.

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

My comment is not meant to hijack the current issue...however; I keep asking myself a similar question regarding the screwball ACC system. How did the present ACC functionality make it past the freshman engineers and into production? Go figure.

Disclaimer: Subaru's are great cars, yada, yada, yada.

See stickied thread in 'interior'...

A reply to Triple Digits: The initial "interior" thread is a useful primer of the ACC workings, but whats unfortunate is just how POORLY the ACC functionality really is. That the designers of the ACC system "should drop the crack pipe" for a minute and attend to business, is too funny of a statement.

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

A reply to Triple Digits: The initial "interior" thread is a useful primer of the ACC workings, but whats unfortunate is just how POORLY the ACC functionality really is. That the designers of the ACC system "should drop the crack pipe" for a minute and attend to business, is too funny of a statement.

Cheers,

Mike

(as he reluctantly succumbs to the Hijack to defend his beloved Leg)

Humorous perhaps, but possibly an overly harsh assessment.

We've all felt something slightly akin to that as we've gotten acclimated to the system - but I think you'll find, as we all have, that you'll not only adapt - but you'll start to regard the 'key control sequences' to get it to do what you want, as a type of secret handshake of sorts.

Either that or everybody that it bugs that much trades their Leg in for a G35 and we don't hear from them anymore... :lol:

Hey you aren't an Infinity owner just masquerading to stir up trouble are you? ;)

Oh I get it now...what a dumbshite. It's the secret hand shake and key control sequences ACC system.

"We've all felt something slightly akin to that as we've gotten acclimated to the system - but I think you'll find, as we all have, that you'll not only adapt - but you'll start to regard the 'key control sequences' to get it to do what you want, as a type of secret handshake of sorts. "

The above quote is a joke right? Who is "We"? I get it....its redirect..LOL

Cheers,

Mike w/enabled private message

Cheers, Mike

I just read the campaign bulletin from Jedi's server (In the Warrantee Forum: Jedi, thanks for saving me the $$s and hosting those!) and I don't understand something.

Are you guys paying for the kit for the AC filter?

SOA says that this is something they pay for.

Check out the second attachment.

ACfilter1.jpg.c256a6df75d0dcfdcc232cfac05c6fa9.jpg

ACFilter2.jpg.93275840e2e47d022a8802917b23e8b4.jpg

I read it a few times, that's why I asked.

Subaru shipped 200 cars with the filter, found out it takes too long to replace them because of the required center console disassembly, comes out with a replacement kit, and now ships cars with AC filters again.

It also says that when a demo or trade in comes in, SOA will pay the dealer to retro the car. It says affected cars, not cars on the list. (added in edit)

The way I read it, if I sold the car back to the dealer, SOA would pay the dealer to retro the car before they would be allowed to sell it again.

What am I missing here? SOA will only pay for 200 cars? But the rest of us who bought cars between the time they stopped and the time they began selling the feature again must pay for it out of pocket?

Haven't they heard of basic marketing and the razor blade analogy?

Archived