LegacyGT.com

Cabin air filter installation without pulling half the dash out (in about 15 minutes)

What am I missing here? SOA will only pay for 200 cars?

correct

But the rest of us who bought cars between the time they stopped and the time they began selling the feature again must pay for it out of pocket?

correct. Did you pay for the air filtration option? If not, why would you expect it for free now?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, gee yeah, I bought a filter and took my console apart to put it in. Why? I saw the filters advertised by Subaru dealers.

My point is that the cost of the option was just a filter and not the housing or the access panel.

So the question is, do current cars come through with the option again?

And do I read the bulletin correctly that any car that goes through a dealer that has the old access parts must be retro'd before it goes on sale?

I read a section of page 2 as a car having the condition described by the bulletin, not a car being in a VIN series. These bulletins are usually very specific in their language.

I'm not trying to get somethin for nothin. I'm just trying to understand what's going on.

Is SOA paying dealers to fix any cars that are not on the VIN list, yet have the old access parts for the AC filter?

I would agree not to get the actual filter free.... but the retro fit yes, they say its possible to have the filter, the parts are there, but they are limiting access to my car because or poor engineering. This is the same if I could not get to the oil filter. There is a function for the air filter, but not functional access to it.

The compartment for the air filter is there and on every car… so I paid for that part, now I need access to it. What I do with it is my business, it’s as simple as that.

Yeah it is a pain. Local ste-dealer wants between $75-120 to just install retro kit - that is without the part (which I have already) and without filter. So, yes I'm peeved for buying car so DAMN early. I guess we get punished for buying new model cars right after they come out - it won't happen again that is for sure!! I got burned twice by Subaru - WRX and now Legacy.

• 2 weeks later...

OK I found the link, DUH! Anyways according to some people they have the new setup installed already with earlier VIN numbers. I just purchased my GT LT sedan yesterday. How do iknow if I have the newer setup installed?

thanks

As Triple Digits stated it takes about 10 minutes. I just did my WRX and GT for $15.00 with a by far better filter than the paper garbage Subaru uses. I actually removed the metal plate inside the glove box and was able to get the drawer open almost 2". I purchased the WEB filter and made two filters out of it.

Deckard

• 1 year later...

DK,

Do you what those metal supports in the "retrofit" do? Is one to try and keep stuff in your glovebox or does it do something like push and keep in the filter housing?

Would rather just cut my own hole vs SOA's junky retrofit.

Thanks.

I got the glove pocket and filter carrier in today, and to best summarize what it is I would have to say it's the biggest piece of shit I've ever seen. I mean you couldn't have "hack" any "made in america" any clearer on this thing.

I'm not going to show you all the details because it's allready got me pretty pissed off and I just don't want to think about it anymore, but there's just more HACK in other places that I just don't have the energy to go take some more pictures of. The filter carrier looks exactly the same, I'll let you know when I change my old filter.

Pic 1: Nice workmanship, think you could not scratch the crap out of everything next time? Also, nice frickin screws.. UCK. The backside of what it's attached to is SURE to rattle like crazy.

Pic 2: WTF is that? stupid cloth covering the back of the glove box. Oh, and you think you can put down the crack pipe and cut a STRAIGHT line?

Pic 3: Back of Pic 2.. UGH

Pic 4: Yeah, I'm going to enjoy losing all my glove box contents through the back. Thanks SOA.

Why does everything that SOA touches turn to crap? I mean I could have fabbed up a better door out of the cutout with a dremel than these jokers did. Maybe the guy who designed this also made our clutch and ECU programming.

I'd rather just spend the extra few minutes and take apart that side of the dash than install this THING into my car. I spent $68 on what? I'm about to the breaking point of SOA..

stop asking! once is enough

please notice the post dates

to answer your question.

it gives a little strength to the box and prevents "stuff" from going through the fabric.

when you change filters you need a shorty screwdriver to get it off.

after that you can then pull the filter try out enough to get the old filter out and the new one in.

Archived