LegacyGT.com

Cabin air filter installation without pulling half the dash out (in about 15 minutes)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

-S. I'm with you on the parts issue's.. There must be a 1-800 Subaru parts department somewhere here in the states who will accept our business at a cost plus arrangement; cost, plus 15%. This is offten the case at several Porsche or Audi parts departments which cater to the enthusiast. With Audi, there's the Quattro Club discount and Porsche has the PCA club discount, et cetera.

I don't suggest no stink'in club....only a short deal on Subaru parts! LOL.

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

I just checked with my dealer and they already ordered three of them and they are due to arrive tomorrow. So I've got my name on one of them. I won't be getting it installed until Monday though.

What price are they quoting you? Are you installing it yourself or are you having the dealer do it? If the dealer is doing it, how much are they installing it for?

Thanks,

--Mike

Check out Subarupartsforyou.com again. They have it up on their website now under Air Filtration. Price for kit is $79.00 (regular $104.00) plus shipping.

Just ordered from Subarupartsforyou.com for $87 shipped. Suparuparts.com is $90 shipped.

Subaru should put them in for free if someone requests it. Changes made to a same year model should not have to be paid for to get the update. Atleast thats what I think. Just shuns the people who adopted the car early on in support of it.

Subaru should put them in for free if someone requests it. Changes made to a same year model should not have to be paid for to get the update. Atleast thats what I think. Just shuns the people who adopted the car early on in support of it.
Yeah? well I think they have other things to concentrate on........................................

What price are they quoting you? Are you installing it yourself or are you having the dealer do it? If the dealer is doing it, how much are they installing it for?

Thanks,

--Mike

I was too excited that this thing finally came in that I didn't even ask. If they add on too much to the price I can always say forget it. The dealer is going to install and it shouldn't take too long but with it being their first one they may be awhile. If that is the case, I will see if they will cut me a break. I guess I'm not as concerned about the money as I am in getting this since it is something I have really missed from my last car.

Can someone tell me approx. when the switch took place? Yes, too lazy to go look at my VIN tonight. :D My car was built in August.....assuming I will need the retrofit kit.

i just installed the retrofit kit tonight.

for first timers you really need to put tape over the dash and go slowly.

i did get it done with one minor scratch. now have i'll have to fix it..that sux.

when i replace it will go qiuck. at least i can filter out the pollen before it starts to drop.

my dealer just got them in two days ago. $108

Can someone tell me approx. when the switch took place? Yes, too lazy to go look at my VIN tonight. :D My car was built in August.....assuming I will need the retrofit kit.

My sedan was build 12/04 with a VIN that's about 3K short of the magic number.

i just installed the retrofit kit tonight.

for first timers you really need to put tape over the dash and go slowly.

i did get it done with one minor scratch. now have i'll have to fix it..that sux.

when i replace it will go qiuck. at least i can filter out the pollen before it starts to drop.

my dealer just got them in two days ago. $108

What do you mean "for first timers you really need to put tape over the dash and go slowly."??

BTW, my car was manufactured in 01/05 and it too was before they started installing the access point for the filter. I have a retrokit on order and I hope to have it by the end of next week.

-S

I just installed the retrofit kit this evening and it was a b*tch. This was the first time I took apart the glove compartment and the instructions from the Cabin Filter Installation thread by Dimil was definitely helpful. I also recommend having a couple band-aids handy because the your fingers will get a workout.

I'm curious to hear from anyone with the new glove compartment assembly on their experience with changing their cabin filter and how easy or difficult it was.

I just installed the retrofit kit this evening and it was a b*tch. This was the first time I took apart the glove compartment and the instructions from the Cabin Filter Installation thread by Dimil was definitely helpful. I also recommend having a couple band-aids handy because the your fingers will get a workout.

I'm curious to hear from anyone with the new glove compartment assembly on their experience with changing their cabin filter and how easy or difficult it was.

I hope to have more details once my kit arrives later this week (hopefully).

-S

the instructions they give you are lacking a little clarity. some of the pictures are poor.

some panels you really have to tug at to get them off.

others if tug or pry too hard you'll break or scratch them (like i did).

you HAVE to put tape on the dash panels to protect them, especially the "PRND" panel around the shift (for automatics)

when prying the surrounding panel, around the "PRNDL" panel, it will suddenly pop off and a sharp piece on back of said panel will scratch the upper part of the "PRNDL" panel.

The retrofit kit I ordered got delivered a few days ago, and the instructions are pretty lousy. I'll wait a while for a few more guinea pigs here, or maybe just pay to have the dealer service department do it so if any damage results from the installation then they'll be responsible for making it good again (hopefully without causing even more damage).

Price for me was $32 dollars. I still say it kicked my Arssss. I thought the same thing wiggle it in....NO. I don't think it is worth it unless you or your other half has allergies.
Did you just get the part 66208AG02B which is just the back of the glove box? I don't need the filter carrier or filter (unless they changed the carrier design) because I'm cutting out my own filters... looks like it's a lot more reasonable if I just order the back of the glove box.. though that hole still doesn't look big enough...

Anyone else in my boat?

Did you just get the part 66208AG02B which is just the back of the glove box? I don't need the filter carrier or filter (unless they changed the carrier design) because I'm cutting out my own filters... looks like it's a lot more reasonable if I just order the back of the glove box.. though that hole still doesn't look big enough...

Anyone else in my boat?

The filter carrier was changed slightly. It still takes the same size filter but the left and right side frame was tapered in the bottom middle so it would be easier to pull the carrier out. At least that's what it is suppose to do in theory. Anyone tried it yet?

FYI I think this retrofit is covered FREE, because it is now a TSB.

Could someone post the TSB for this? I payed $90 for this and now it is going to be offered free? WTH?? :mad:

If there is a TSB, I might see what I can do about getting my money back in some form (refund, credit, etc).

-S

Archived