LegacyGT.com

2012 - STI Sedan?

jcdennis

+1

They may offer both, who knows? Just like they offer the WRX265 in both forms today. That would be 'more choice' that you are looking for, IWSS.:)

It's the colour argument that I find strange. If you offer '17 different colours', the there will be 3 or 4 that far outsell the rest, Black silver and white will likely make up 3 of the 4. The other 80% will sell in special order only which adds to production costs. This doesn't make financial sence unless you like throwing money away as a manufacturer.

Subaru doesn't see the benefit to offer tons of colours in their cars as it's not cost effective... which I'm sure everyone in this thread understands already.

Niche company that caters to the unique few? Sure, that sounds cool and lends a certain street cred, but golly it sure would be nice to make some money once in a while. Nirvana the music group comes to mind. And the success killed Cobain.

Hopefully that doesn't occur with Subaru now that they have several hits on their hands.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ So lame.

I kinda now like the GR hatch, but only in STI form and modified.. lowered and with nicer wheels.

The Impreza sedan? I still cringe when I see one.

But - there are rumors that the new STI sedan is a completely new design. I find it unlikely, but I guess we'll see.

highly unlikely that the 5 door will go away this model year. If the sedan exists it's going to look like the 4 door wrx with a wing on the back. If it debuts... I'm trading in my 5 door.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow. I've never posted anything in the "News and Rumors" section before.

Some... healthy debate here.

This was just what a guy at the dealer was told, and passed along. He said someone would be in to give a presentation before long, but this wasn't even concrete as far as he was concerned.

In any case, from what was said we'd still see a hatch for 2011, and a more "aggressively styled STI sedan in 2012." That's it. No OMG this is true 100% and everyone will be forced to buy it in pastel pink.

In terms of the line up being ugly. As I said before I never considered Subaru to have a "beautiful" line of vehicles. If Ferrari is a fashion model, then a Subaru is a MMA fighter. Sort of how I've always seen it....

+1

They may offer both, who knows? Just like they offer the WRX265 in both forms today. That would be 'more choice' that you are looking for, IWSS.:)

That was the point I originally started out to make when it was theoretically suggested that Subaru might just change from one STI bodystyle offering to the other, rather than doing both, which they can choose to do.

It's the colour argument that I find strange. If you offer '17 different colours', the there will be 3 or 4 that far outsell the rest, Black silver and white will likely make up 3 of the 4. The other 80% will sell in special order only which adds to production costs. This doesn't make financial sence unless you like throwing money away as a manufacturer.

Subaru doesn't see the benefit to offer tons of colours in their cars as it's not cost effective... which I'm sure everyone in this thread understands already.

I am not asking for 17 different colors. But 6 or 8 might be nice, especially if less than 4 of those are grey-tones, white, and black.

Subaru had bronze, and sandy-tan, and have had dark green before... a medium or lighter blue, and a nice rich darker blue choice, as well as a good red or two might be nice to have.

Even if they had one brown-tone, one green, one blue, and one red, it would be an improvement, and offer some variety, more than, and in addition to white, two greys, and black...

And how difficult is it really, to offer most or all of those colors with a choice between light tan, and dark charcoal interior choices?

Niche company that caters to the unique few? Sure, that sounds cool and lends a certain street cred, but golly it sure would be nice to make some money once in a while. Nirvana the music group comes to mind. And the success killed Cobain.

Hopefully that doesn't occur with Subaru now that they have several hits on their hands.

I am not saying that Subaru shouldn't make money, or build what sells...

But what good does it do, if they abandon their core competencies, and the values that they have established for their brand, which I listed above?

If they STICK to those, the people who bought Subarus BECAUSE of those values, will likely still find appeal in that. Even more appeal, if those values are wrapped in even a modestly attractive look.

I don't necessarily mind that Subaru wanted to take the Legacy mainstream, but why did they feel the need to make it so un-necessarily tall, ungainly, and ugly, in the process?

What I have a problem with, is that they didn't step anything up, to take the place of what they had, when there are people who liked what they had.

They could step the Impreza sedan into that role, but it is under-equipped, and has gone from boring to now wide-body ugly.

I don't necessarily mind that the FT-86 is going to be tiny and RWD.

What I do mind, is that as someone who values Subaru's previous core competencies, they don't seem to want to make a coupe that adheres to those, for those of us who want a SUBARU, but in a coupe wrapper.

I don't mind that the Forester is successful. But I wonder why the XT still has no manual gearbox, nor an XT-sport model with one... and other market players are seeing the advantage of having a simpler, torquey 6-cylinder engine in their small utes, as an up-option, but Forester doesn't seem to have any plans for an H6.

I look at Subaru, in the context of the wider market... and I see that their value is selling to people who are re-learning about value.

But then I look and see that the appearance of some Subarus, and the option list on most Subarus, and the product mix could be better.

That doesn't mean "shoot the moon", which would throw value out the window. I am talking about just a bit more based on some common sense.

They could offer that bit more, and by offering it, sell a LOT more by not denying people what they would like to buy, whether it be bodystyle, color choice, or the options list.

Value doesn't equal cheap. Value equals getting the most per dollar. It doesn't matter if you are turning people away because they can't get what they would really want, and most people unlike me, will go buy a discounted GM, Ford, or Hyundai, or whatever else... because most other people don't take it as seriously as I do. That means that they don't hold out for it, either, and they take their money elsewhere.

I am glad Subaru is selling well... but GM, Chrysler, and Toyota have really dropped the ball, and have been hit HARD... Frankly Subaru could be selling even BETTER with some common sense loosening of their product options.

This is conversation is no longer about the 2011 STI (or 2012) Sedan. It's been hijacked by the sidetrack king to push his personal agenda. Can we just make an IWSS thread and place all of his personal rants in there?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unsubscribe*

Pointless banter is not my game.

Stop making assumptions, then getting pissed off that you have a negative outlook on everything Subaru related. If the 05-09 LGT is so perfect, Ill see you mine, but you'll have to pay. Its a RARE combo of non-LTD trim and OBP exterior.

There is no information about the 2012 STI Sedan.

And my discussion is about Subaru as a whole, including the future role of the impreza sedan bodystyle.

So if you guys don't want to talk about Subarus... feel free to unsubscribe.

And thanks, Mindspin, but I would much rather keep my Garnet Red Pearl Limited Stage 2.

If I wanted a non-Limited, I wouldn't care that the Impreza isn't as well optioned as the Legacy was.

Frankly, if I get another BL Legacy, it will probably be an 08-09 Spec.B or 3.0R Limited. If Subaru had offered the 3.0R Spec B (as they did in other parts of the world...) that combined the H6 engine with the good 6MT gearbox and drivetrain... I'd probably already have traded up for one. Especially if it had been offered in WR Blue, or even Newport Blue with a black interior.

That is the sort of restriction I am talking about. Combinations that Subaru COULD offer, but doesn't.

Probably because you are the only person who wants it.

There are lots of Subaru's Ive dreamed up that will never get released.

WHY THE HELL HAVENT THEY RE-RELEASED THE 2001 2.5RS WITH AN S204 DRIVETRAIN. UGH SUBARU MAKES IT IN FRENCH POLYNESIA, WHY NOT HERE?

UGH, WORST CAR COMPANY EVER, SO MAINSTREAM.

Now who is using hyperbole as fact?

How do you know that people wouldn't take to an H6+6-speed, well optioned and good looking sport sedan, in blue, which is Subaru's identifiable color?

And if you read my comments in the Subaru coupe thread, you'll see that I have called for the spiritual successor to the GC Impreza coupe, as a GR-based coupe, with STI drivetrain, as well as an H6 engine and gearbox choice, to allow such a car to also function as a bit of a successor to the SVX grand touring coupe, as well.

But I guess you like it when companies with real potential just squander it.

After reading what people are posting and skipping the rants by IWSS I think the moral of this thread is what is the future of the STI?

The changes for 2010 on the WRX is what the previous gen had as well...nothing but a few aesthetic differences... the front fogs, rear wing over the roof/window, and the whale tale....the true reason to own and STI was the additional drive-train/track benefits and suspension

The magazines have been ragging 'why buy an STI' since the WRX went up in power, now it looks the same, the STI will be 'upgraded' next...it is their flagship performance model and...a bump in HP and TQ w/the Spec C turbo set up, water injection will come back, etc etc

Follow the banter on NASIOC/IWSTI and what the 'SOA BLOG' rep has said and we will hear more on 4/2 on further changes to the line up

It probably is, hopefully we will find out in the next week. It does look like it has STI body parts just added on top of whatever it is. A similar thing was out recently with Legacy body parts on top of something.

New York Auto Show is starting this weekend where Subaru likes to let things out of the bag..

I would have to reason to believe that Subaru is attempting to phase out the STi, with the more aggressive WRX being pushed to the foreground.

While this is pretty unlikely, it is a possibility. Especially with SOA pulling out of WRC.

They could be making a high powered version of the legacy (pipe dream) :p

Archived