LegacyGT.com

2012 - STI Sedan?

jcdennis

OK, so I just watched the Wheelandtorque video of this 4-door model, and I must say, it seemed to look better in that media, then it does in the still photos.

I wonder if I'll like the 4-door variant better when I see it in person? Certainly, I'm a fan of the 5-door, for this generation.

Subaru of America claims it'll be "the fastest STI" - OK, so the wheels are supposed to be lighter - but without a (disclosed; as with brother what, I wonder if there isn't some other reason) power increase? I'd like to see some numbers.

Given what's happened with the WRX and STI variants of these past two years or so, I'm definitely no longer a "yes man" when it comes to simply bowing down in worship of the STI. I have my doubts, and I can only hope that Subaru will prove me wrong.

---

BTW, unclemat - in the video, one person specifically mentioned improvements in seating position and interior comfort.... But then again, if I'd gotten an invite, I wouldn't say anything bad...well, at least not while I was there, and at least not publicly! :lol: So, hopefully, that'll be improved, too.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read an article on edmunds.com about the new STi, same power plant as the previous year but it sounds like the suspension was tuned... I believe they said the 2011 STi was the best handling STi yet.

So they do a whole bunch more testing around the ring, beef up the suspension, shed a couple lbs and they get the 2011 STi turning laps slightly quicker than its predecessor... and poof! 2011 STi is the fastest EVER!

^ You're right - it's all about what kind of fast. Maybe it's the same in the windsprint to 60 or the run through the quarter, but it's a second faster around the 'Ring.

I didn't see it that way - thanks. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

The wheels weigh a combined 17 pounds less than the old ones. I'll let someone who can explain unsprung wieght explain why this is bigger than 17 body pounds. :)

Overall, what did you expect? SOA hasn't gone outside the box since 2005, if you can call the LGT outside the box. 2008 ring any bells for WRX fans? Yeah, soooo, there you go. Overall, I like it. It's a better looking model than 2008 and it's got a great aggressive stance to it. :D

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

The wheels weigh a combined 17 pounds less than the old ones. I'll let someone who can explain unsprung wieght explain why this is bigger than 17 body pounds. :)

^ Oh, no, I more than understand that ;) - and if you read from some of the sources, it seems that the optional 18x8.5s (edited from 18x8, sorry! :redface:) offer even more of a reduction. But I still thought that it was a rather bold claim.

I guess I tend to look at "fast" differently because of auto-x where you gain all your time in the corners.

^ No, you're more than right - I just had blinders on! :) I have no clue why I chose to interpret things that way, when I wrote what I did. Perhaps it's because the auto-rags kept ragging on the WRX/STI about it.

I tend to think more broadly as well: I like to say that "there's all kinds of fast." :D

OK, so I just watched the Wheelandtorque video of this 4-door model, and I must say, it seemed to look better in that media, then it does in the still photos.

I wonder if I'll like the 4-door variant better when I see it in person? Certainly, I'm a fan of the 5-door, for this generation.

Subaru of America claims it'll be "the fastest STI" - OK, so the wheels are supposed to be lighter - but without a (disclosed; as with brother what, I wonder if there isn't some other reason) power increase? I'd like to see some numbers.

Given what's happened with the WRX and STI variants of these past two years or so, I'm definitely no longer a "yes man" when it comes to simply bowing down in worship of the STI. I have my doubts, and I can only hope that Subaru will prove me wrong.

---

BTW, unclemat - in the video, one person specifically mentioned improvements in seating position and interior comfort.... But then again, if I'd gotten an invite, I wouldn't say anything bad...well, at least not while I was there, and at least not publicly! :lol: So, hopefully, that'll be improved, too.

Wheres that video??

they said it now has pillowball bushings in the front. i'm guessing they are talking about the rear LCA bushing?!? which means we might be able to use it for us! hopefully cheaper, but i don't know how bad noise/vibrations might increase.

Wheres that video??

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBQhTW3pP0E]YouTube- Wheelandtorque.com presents "The 2011 STI Debut"[/ame] :)

Thats a really crappy drawing/pic of the new STI. I dont know why people keep using that one. It looks crappy compared to the real pics.

Huh??? That is an accurate picture, look at the Subaru website:

http://www.subaru.com/auto-show/index.html

Looks the same here as well:

http://wot.motortrend.com/6638585/auto-shows/2010-new-york-the-wing-is-back-2011-subaru-wrx-sti-sedan-returns/index.html

Archived