LegacyGT.com

Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic Oil. Better than Platinum?

Rao, I'm really sorry, but we must get to the bottom of this. It's unfortunate no one has begun an inquiry on this forum already.

Does anyone know in what ways Pennzoil Ultra (says Hyper on the bottle as well) Pennzoil is superior to the old Platinum? Will it get all that sludge out of our engines?

It's about time Pennzoil released such a high technology product.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sludge....isn't that why Gunk makes a can of Motor Flush ? Just add a can every now and then before you change your oil. I have been doing that since the early 80's.

Some people use use a qt of kerosene, they say it's the same stuff.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Does anyone know in what ways Pennzoil Ultra (says Hyper on the bottle as well) Pennzoil is superior to the old Platinum? Will it get all that sludge out of our engines?

It's about time Pennzoil released such a high technology product.

Even though I don't use and don't plan to use Pennzoil anything, as Rao says, Ultra is supposed to be better than platinum.

The sludge question is a bit different tho. Most synthetics have very few detergents within them. The idea of using synthetics is that they are very good at preventing friction and wear and in turn, do not create sludge. The reason cheap oils say are good at "sludge" protection is that they are packed with detergents. This is the reason many places suggest running cheap dino oil on new/rebuilt engines to flush out anything before using synthetics. Correct me if I'm wrong people.

Of course Ultra is better, but is it worth the extra $5 for an oil change? I think this question deserves at least a couple hours of research. You must not love your car if you don't take a lot of time to figure out the best oil for it. Your engine should not have to pay for haste and indifference.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

ClimberD, the oil has just hit the shelves and there aren't any UOAs that I know of. I am pretty sure it is better than Platinum but the questions are:

-do you really need it if Platinum is working just fine?

-is it worth the extra $?

Shell is not exactly know for marketing bullshit so I have every expectation that this is a better oil, marketing talk aside (hyper cleaning, lol). But remember that they are not advertising it as an extended drain oil so anyone that wants to push it past the typical 3750, 4k, 5k. should do a UOA and not automatically assume this thing is good to go for more than that.

I, for one, will continue to lurk BITOG just out of pure curiosity but I have no plan of switching from Pennzoil Platinum. It is cheap ($19-22 for 5qts at Walmart) for how good it is and has shown to do great in my engine.

Later edit: here is the Q&A thread on BITOG

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1812744&page=1

I've done my research and I'm going to be sticking with German Castrol. Zero burnoff, incredibly good wear properties, and good performing in high and low temps. I would personally wait on new oils like the Pennzoil Ultra because not only do the chemical properties of the new oil matter, but long term effects also play a role. For example, royal purple is a very good performing oil, but prolonged use of royal purple can lead to extensive engine wear.

For my engine, PP did better than GC. Engine is quieter at start-up, oil is a lot cheaper. I have zero reason to run GC.

Your last sentence is confusing. How can an oil be good performing but at the same time cause excessive wear :lol:

For my engine, PP did better than GC. Engine is quieter at start-up, oil is a lot cheaper. I have zero reason to run GC.

Your last sentence is confusing. How can an oil be good performing but at the same time cause excessive wear :lol:

How can you say that GC is expensive? I get 5qts and a filter for $30. Also, I tried PP in my last car, and it ran like asshole. The only oil that I've used that ran close to GC was Motul, and Motul is expensive as hell. As for my last sentence. My friend started using royal purple a while back. His car was running great with it. However, he sent a sample of it in the blackstone and they said that the royal purple had high levels certain minerals that over time could cause problems.

ClimberD, the oil has just hit the shelves and there aren't any UOAs that I know of. I am pretty sure it is better than Platinum but the questions are:

-do you really need it if Platinum is working just fine?

-is it worth the extra $?

Shell is not exactly know for marketing bullshit so I have every expectation that this is a better oil, marketing talk aside (hyper cleaning, lol). But remember that they are not advertising it as an extended drain oil so anyone that wants to push it past the typical 3750, 4k, 5k. should do a UOA and not automatically assume this thing is good to go for more than that.

I, for one, will continue to lurk BITOG just out of pure curiosity but I have no plan of switching from Pennzoil Platinum. It is cheap ($19-22 for 5qts at Walmart) for how good it is and has shown to do great in my engine.

Later edit: here is the Q&A thread on BITOG

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1812744&page=1

Can't believe I read that whole thread...

People who ran synthetics for very long time also experienced clogged banjo bolts! :)

I'm waiting for Pennzoil Diamond -5w1. Until then, I've sawzall'd a hole below my gas pedals and I fred flintstone it while keeping the trans disconnected from the flywheel.

How can you say that GC is expensive? I get 5qts and a filter for $30.

I get them for $26 (PureOne filter too, not some cheap Fram:lol:)

Yes, I get to call it expensive since it IS more expensive and PP does the job better. Plus I don't have to run around finding it at "select" stores. Walmart is closer, plus they frequently have PP on sale for under $20. Either way, run whatever you are comfortable with, not my place to comment. I just told you per my UOAs I don't see why I would spend the extra money for the privilege of running an oil that gets trashed in a shorter interval :lol:

This thread is about Pennzoil Ultra.

JoeFromPA: I anxiously await the next best oil to top Ultra by Pennzoil. I wonder what buzzword the marketing department will use to top "hyper cleaning" :lol:

Also, I don't give two shits that it's the only oil approved for Ferrari. I am more concerned about meeting the Spec.B requirement.

Sludge....isn't that why Gunk makes a can of Motor Flush ? Just add a can every now and then before you change your oil. I have been doing that since the early 80's.

Some people use use a qt of kerosene, they say it's the same stuff.

is this bad for a turbocharged engine?

Archived